SiouxSports.com Forum

UND VS wmu (SATURDAY)

iluvdebbies

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

No, not at all. They can steal games from you even though they have almost zero offensive talent up front.

Which further strengthens my point that the NCHC is the toughest conference top to bottom we have ever been in.

And your prize for avoiding Duluth will likely be Omaha or Western.

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

The common denominator is that even the top team going into the NCAA tournament has around a 1 in 10 chance of winning the title in the current state of the game.  Blaming that on the coach is frankly idiotic.

Can we get a numbers person to determine how many times in the last 10 years the number one overall seed won the natty. For that matter, how about the last ten years and getting a top four seed.

Kind regards

TwamleyShuffle

11 minutes ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

Can we get a numbers person to determine how many times in the last 10 years the number one overall seed won the natty. For that matter, how about the last ten years and getting a top four seed.

Kind regards

TwamleyShuffle

Just based on my memory: 

2014 - Union, No - was a top 4 

2015 - Providence, No

2016 -UND, No, was a top 4

2017 - Denver, Yes

2018 - Duluth, No

2019 - Duluth, No

2020 ——————

2021 - UMass, No, I think they were a 2 seed? 

2022 - Denver, No, might’ve been a top 4 seed 

2023 - Quinnipiac, No, was a top 4

The thing is, UND wasn't even the top team going into the tournament during the Hak years.  UND made it to the Frozen Four as all four different seeds, and was never the overall top seed.

1 seed in a regional: 2008* (3rd overall seed), 2011* (2nd overall seed), 2012 (4th overall seed), 2015* (2nd overall seed)

2 seed in a regional: 2005*, 2006*, 2009, 2010, 2013

3 seed in a regional: 2007*

4 seed in a regional: 2014*

*denotes Frozen Four year

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

The common denominator is that even the top team going into the NCAA tournament has around a 1 in 10 chance of winning the title in the current state of the game.  Blaming that on the coach is frankly idiotic.

Unless it’s Bob Motzco. He flat out puckered up, choked and got out-coached in last years national championship game with the most talented team in the nation. That game was the rare 100% coaching blunder imo 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

One could argue Miami?

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Miami.

That's it.

The fifth place team in our eight team league pushed us to the limit at home this past weekend and they are on the bubble for making the NCAA tournament.

Heck, even Miami can steal points from you if you don't show up ready to play.

Exactly. We beat Tech 11-2 in 2011. We tied Miami this season.

26 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

Unless it’s Bob Motzco. He flat out puckered up, choked and got out-coached in last years national championship game with the most talented team in the nation. That game was the rare 100% coaching blunder imo 

I think I heard on a Wild broadcast that Brock Faber wasn't even on the gophers top power play unit, yet he is on the Wild's top unit as a rookie.   If that was one of our coaches can you imagine the ridicule that would be coming their way!  

53 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

Still can't believe Minny didn't win the whole thing last year...they were absolutely loaded.  That being said, I have Q's game winning goal running on a continuous loop in the mancave.;)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, tnt said:

I think I heard on a Wild broadcast that Brock Faber wasn't even on the gophers top power play unit, yet he is on the Wild's top unit as a rookie.   If that was one of our coaches can you imagine the ridicule that would be coming their way!  

I believe they've said Faber didn't play on the PP at all at UM.  Maybe I misheard, though.

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Still can't believe Minny didn't win the whole thing last year...they were absolutely loaded.  That being said, I have Q's game winning goal running on a continuous loop in the mancave.;)

Hard work beats skill, when skill doesn’t work hard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, burd said:

The drunk thing is just a bit.   I gotta admit, though, I don't know that for sure. 

Its all a bit.

He's our Karl Gerbschmidt.... and it works.

ss.com life wouldn't be the same without it.

But yeah character or not,  I'm thinking dudes got a snoutfull more often than not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Its all a bit.

He's our Karl Gerbschmidt.... and it works.

ss.com life wouldn't be the same without it.

But yeah character or not,  I'm thinking dudes got a snoutfull more often than not.

How dare you besmirch Gerby like that. Karl is a diehard that rides for his team no matter what #warriors

• Upvote 2

The old WCHA had more difficult competition on top half of the league while the NCHC may have a bit better on the bottom half of the league. For me, the old WCHA was definitely a more difficult league to win a regular season championship. You needed to beat MN, Wisconsin and Denver - teams that have a lot of history, tradition and national championships, in addition to having St. Cloud, Duluth, and some very good CC teams. 

• Upvote 1