SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ CC -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

18 hours ago, Goon said:

I don’t think anyone is content with losing. UND is 20-8-2; that’s not a losing record, and the season isn't over; there's still a lot of hockey to be played. However, it appears some are moving the goalposts around or are just here to troll and get a rise out of people. Winning the NCHC isn’t easy, sometimes I wonder if winning the Penrose comes with a cost. The teams that some have pointed to have also missed the NCAA playoffs, DU and UMD both have, recently. In fact, the Bulldogs are on the cusp of missing for a second year in a row. If Sandy was the coach here he would’ve been run out of town before he ever got to the point of winning an NCAA title. 

I think that’s what makes North Dakota so special. Expectations every year are the same. Win a National Championship. How you win and lose games are a good indicator of championship quality teams. We have the luxury of being critical, even when our team is 1st in the conference and 2nd Nationally. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Big A HG said:

I don't discount that things have slightly improved, but why the sudden drop-off after our title?  You'd think that Berry would have pulled in a number of much better recruits in a shorter period of time.  And, as talented as this team is, it's really no comparison to the 2016 title team.  It only seems better because of how poor some recent rosters have been.  That 2016 team would blown the doors off of what this team is capable of IMO.  We were loaded on both offense and defense and our starting five in the championship all went on to play in the NHL.  How many NHLers are we watching on this year's team?  In the past it was never a question of if any of the guys were going to play decent NHL careers, not just get a couple of short-term call-ups...it was a question of how many. 

We need blue chippers - Imagine our title run without Boeser.  Also it is hard to understand how with this team getting their butts handed to them on Friday we then come out with our Saturday performance.  Something is missing from Berry's team and it looks a lot like grit.  It doesn't even look like the same team - especially on defense - that swept Denver.  How did our D get so sloppy all of a sudden - especially with an extra week to heal?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Irish said:

We need blue chippers - Imagine our title run without Boeser.  Also it is hard to understand how with this team getting their butts handed to them on Friday we then come out with our Saturday performance.  Something is missing from Berry's team and it looks a lot like grit.  It doesn't even look like the same team - especially on defense - that swept Denver.  How did our D get so sloppy all of a sudden - especially with an extra week to heal?  

Denver relies heavily on that top line. Defensively weaker than CC as well. CC does have one of the best goaltenders in college hockey too. I agree with the grit aspect. I saw so many bad shots taken on Saturday. Instead of working the puck down low and cycling, players would quickly give up the puck to bad shots, and that would result in the puck going the other way. Very little sustained zone time. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Denver relies heavily on that top line. Defensively weaker than CC as well. CC does have one of the best goaltenders in college hockey too. I agree with the grit aspect. I saw so many bad shots taken on Saturday. Instead of working the puck down low and cycling, players would quickly give up the puck to bad shots, and that would result in the puck going the other way. Very little sustained zone time. 

I don't disagree, but that really didn't happen until about 3 minutes left in the 2nd period. UND was winning 2-1, but had possession of the puck most of the game and the shots were 35 to 10 (and an even greater margin for shot attempts) when CC tied it on a questionable goal. Don't discount goaltending or the lack of good goaltending. Persson made exactly one tough save all night (right before the tying goal), but was fighting the puck all night and leaving rebounds. It appears that the CC goal that tied it at 2-2 deflated the team and gave all of the momentum to CC. Persson was not good either night this weekend, and was not good in either Friday night game against Miami. UND needs more consistency from the goalie, and they are not getting it right now. Persson's save % is below 90%, which is not good for a college goaltender. He can be very good and won some games for UND early, but lately he is a question mark. He never had a save % above 90% at Miami, but everyone made excuses that it was the team in front of him. The eyes don't lie and he is not a difference maker at this point. I hope that Hedquist gets at least one start this weekend until Persson gets his confidence back. IMHO, goaltending is once again the biggest issue facing this team. It has to be better to win 2-1 and 3-2 games against teams that trap like CC, Duluth and Notre Dame. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The 2016 team would blow the doors off of every team of the past 20 years or so (minus the 2011 and 2020 COVID teams). But this year's team is the best since 2020. What we look like next season and beyond will depend in part on how many guys sign early.

Yeah both the 2020 and 2021 teams would absolutely wreck this season’s team. Forward depth, goaltending, and d Corp. 

a top line of Guchi Adams and mismash combined with Shane pinto centering 2nd line and Weatherby centering 3rd line is pure insanity. Plus Scheel was a better and more consistent goalie. I still give 2021 the edge with Sanderson and Kleven on D along with JBD kierstad, bast, Frisch. Too good and a team that could have gone head to head with 2016 or 2011 when it comes to scoring depth, all around defensive play, and goaltending. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not ready to say this team doesn't belong with those others.  I'd say it's behind on team defense, but has an unusually high level of offensive creativity, with more guys than usual who can pick corners.

2 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Being Perrson has never beat CC in his career maybe it was time to put Hobie in , these are the reasons we question coaching. 

I am pretty sure that Brad Berry, Dane Jackson, KG and Dillion Simpson know more than you do about Hockey. But whatever. 

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Irish said:

And how many years have I been talking about blue chippers and getting Kraft for?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

I don't disagree, but that really didn't happen until about 3 minutes left in the 2nd period. UND was winning 2-1, but had possession of the puck most of the game and the shots were 35 to 10 (and an even greater margin for shot attempts) when CC tied it on a questionable goal. Don't discount goaltending or the lack of good goaltending. Persson made exactly one tough save all night (right before the tying goal), but was fighting the puck all night and leaving rebounds. It appears that the CC goal that tied it at 2-2 deflated the team and gave all of the momentum to CC. Persson was not good either night this weekend, and was not good in either Friday night game against Miami. UND needs more consistency from the goalie, and they are not getting it right now. Persson's save % is below 90%, which is not good for a college goaltender. He can be very good and won some games for UND early, but lately he is a question mark. He never had a save % above 90% at Miami, but everyone made excuses that it was the team in front of him. The eyes don't lie and he is not a difference maker at this point. I hope that Hedquist gets at least one start this weekend until Persson gets his confidence back. IMHO, goaltending is once again the biggest issue facing this team. It has to be better to win 2-1 and 3-2 games against teams that trap like CC, Duluth and Notre Dame. 

I say it every year. Give me a consistent .910 goalie and we’ll be in the tourney and win at least a game most likely, .920+ and we’re a frozen four team playing for a title. 

This team is good enough offensively to make a run with a .910 goalie. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jk said:

I'm not ready to say this team doesn't belong with those others.  I'd say it's behind on team defense, but has an unusually high level of offensive creativity, with more guys than usual who can pick corners.

They missed too many damn corners this past weekend. Dang how many posts did they hit on Friday alone, like four? Time to put the shooter tutor back on the nets for practices. 

10 hours ago, brianvf said:

They missed too many damn corners this past weekend. Dang how many posts did they hit on Friday alone, like four? Time to put the shooter tutor back on the nets for practices. 

This team also misses the net way too much. You have a ZERO percent chance of scoring if the puck is wide of the net.

On 2/19/2024 at 9:05 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Comparing hockey and football is silly, especially in the NCAA. Much harder for the lesser team to manage an upset in football than hockey.

Question for everybody, what % of hockey games does the better team win? I can think of some games this year where UND was not the better team, but found a way to win.

Better teams should win 2/3 the time or more 

On 2/20/2024 at 4:44 PM, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Being Perrson has never beat CC in his career maybe it was time to put Hobie in , these are the reasons we question coaching. 

I’m not big on throwing him under the bus, defensive failure is the biggest coaching failure in my opinion