SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ CC -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

53 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Cripes, one bad game and everyone is declaring the season over. You guys need to take a pill and lie down. This will motivate the boys to prevent this from ever happening again. I think we'll see a much different team tonight.

Not everyone…..think virtual hugs are needed as well for those on the ledge. Can’t argue them down. HG missed out on buying a vowel. :p

• Upvote 2

CC scored 7 last night without breaking a sweat.  They still need to climb at least two PW rungs, and they smell Sioux blood in the water, so what's to say they won't score 14 or more tonight?  About the only way to prevent something like that from happening, IMO, is to start three goalies and try to completely seal off the goal.   That and position one of the three skaters out by the red line as a permanent floater.  Maybe you catch a breakaway goal, then you pull another skater back to the crease area to protect the one-goal lead.  

Call me crazy, but I'm just a realist.  What else they gonna do?

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Cripes, one bad game and everyone is declaring the season over. You guys need to take a pill and lie down. This will motivate the boys to prevent this from ever happening again. I think we'll see a much different team tonight.

I thought the same thing as you going into the Saturday night game back in Grand Forks. Not only did UND not come out with a response and better effort, they didn’t match CC’s effort which was even better than what they delivered in Friday’s game. I wrongfully assumed that CC had the potential to have a let down on Saturday, being satisfied with getting “a win” on the road in Grand Forks. Boy, was I ever mistaken. Kris Mayotte had the boys even more ready and out for blood on Saturday.

So that kinda concerns me about tonight’s game as well. I can swallow a loss tonight if at least UND’s effort is where we all expect it to be from this program. If we don’t bring the kind of response I think all of us and more importantly the players and coaches should expect to bring, then we should be pretty concerned for how that will play out the rest of the season.

Another thing I will say about Kris Mayotte is, I have full confidence that he’s going to right the ship there at CC. Keep in mind that his predecessor dug this program into an incredibly deep hole. I’ve been going to CC games dating back to the Buetow days. I’ve been a season ticket holder since the Scotty Owens era. You cannot even begin to appreciate how bad CC was from about 2013 until now. It was absurd how bad this program had become.

Careful what we CC fans wish for, I see Mayotte taking a similar path as Don Lucia in that he will bring the program back to national relevance and then other suitors from bigger programs will come calling.

The structure with which CC plays and the elite goaltending they’re getting from Embereko make them a very, very difficult team to play. Last night, I was scratching my head wondering how we could take 3 of 4 against a DU team that is much more dynamic and talented then CC but then got to thinking more about it and DU can’t touch CC in terms of defensive zone play and goaltending this year. Even though DU made quick and easy work of CC back in early November, it seems like the Tigers have grown by leaps and bounds over the past couple of months and are playing with a swagger I haven’t witnessed in over a decade. 

• Upvote 1

I think it’s more than just effort and tenacity. Because our guys came out with a ton of tenacity last night. It was about them making the wrong plays and not being able to break through the neutral zone or play with possession in the O-zone at even strength. Once we had that goal “taken away” with the early whistle and the high stick call for CC’s 3rd goal went the wrong way against us, we mentally crumbled. We were outcoached pretty hard and it got in our heads. Like it’s been said already, tonight’s response tells us a lot about our team. I still think CC deserves credit and is good enough to finish the sweep against us but we have enough talent to win if we play a smarter game. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, fargosioux said:

Seems like lots of fans are ready to write off this season after one horrible game.  Here are some bad losses from our last 5 championship seasons:

(2016) 6-1 St Cloud

(2000) 7-2 Denver

(1997) 8-3 CC

10-6 Minnesota

(1987) 8-5 Mich Tech

(1982) 9-0 Wisconsin (this one was in the WCHA tournament)

Personally, I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season.  This is still a very good team that has an excellent chance to land a #1 seed in the regionals and play in St. Paul for a chance to get 2 wins and hang #9.

I have a feeling we will see a very different performance tonight.

That’s why it’s so frustrating every time. It happens (to every good team, UND or not) but the same fans always freak out. Curiously enough, those same fans are absent during the wins. Didn’t hear a peep during the 21-game streak. :whistling:;)

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

In the last 25-30 years we’re (at the very least) a top 1-3 team in the country…a top program. US hockey is booming and so hockey. Other programs are starting to pull in blue chip too (some much better). But there is no other team really winning more than us. Other tops programs lose too. Goofs got beat up tonight.

So the expectations are no longer to be the top program in the country every year to just being one of the best? Might as well pack it in and go home at that point.

16 hours ago, Big A HG said:

It's one loss right now, but the story has been played out most other seasons.  It's a compiling list of odd losses by Berry teams late in the season over a long stretch of seasons.  If you look at the big picture, the program is underperforming for our status in the hockey world.  Blue chip recruits don't want to play here anymore.  Big media heads seldom talk about us anymore and we have the best facilities in the country, arguably the greatest college hockey history in the country, the best fans, etc...  Yet everyone is okay with the lower standard Berry has set compared to his predecessors. 

Blue chips don’t seem to be an issue this year and in future years. I do agree it was an issue in past years.

16 hours ago, Big A HG said:

No one is arguing about the last 25-30 years.  It's about the way things have gone the last seven or so.  The regular season titles are nice, but this team vastly underperforms later in the season under Berry since the title team of Hak's recruits.  

At least with Hak we made it to frozen fours to then get devastated by losses…

The woulda coulda shoulda folks come out in force every time a little adversity hits.  I love that old worn-out pitch that if you aren’t panicking and pointing fingers of blame its because your “standards” are too low.   We set our own standards in our professional and personal lives, not on the games played by someone else’s college-age kids.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, fargosioux said:

Seems like lots of fans are ready to write off this season after one horrible game.  Here are some bad losses from our last 5 championship seasons:

(2016) 6-1 St Cloud

(2000) 7-2 Denver

(1997) 8-3 CC

10-6 Minnesota

(1987) 8-5 Mich Tech

(1982) 9-0 Wisconsin (this one was in the WCHA tournament)

Personally, I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season.  This is still a very good team that has an excellent chance to land a #1 seed in the regionals and play in St. Paul for a chance to get 2 wins and hang #9.

I have a feeling we will see a very different performance tonight.

Heck we got swept at DU in either January or February of 2016 and that turned out fairly decent a couple months later 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So the expectations are no longer to be the top program in the country every year to just being one of the best? Might as well pack it in and go home at that point.

This isn’t a fair comment nowadays because there is sooo much good talent and so many great coaches. Add in the ability to use video for breaking down shifts and pre scouting the other teams/players and it makes for a more even playing field. We should and do expect great things but ripping Hak for never winning the big one and ripping a loss here and there (although we did play reeeally bad last night) isn’t always fair. Missing the tourney on 3 of the last 5 years was a painful blow but we are back on the upswing. 

Another example of how many good teams and players there are now: look at the bubble teams in the pairwise at 12-18ish and you can safely say any of those teams could legitimately make the frozen four. There will absolutely be “upsets” this year as there always are in the tourney but this season they should hardly be considered upsets in a one and done situation. 

sorry for the rant: I understand if I get the TLDR response haha 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

Sadly it feels that way to me.

And here Berry was just interviewed the other day talking about how crisp and sharp the players looked in practice all week. He said this was the best week of practice he’d seen all season. 

17 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Stuff happens I guess. Even the Gophers aren’t immune to stinkers once in a while. They too got humbled tonight on the road at Notre Dame, 6-1. Let’s turn the page on this turd of a game and come back strong tomorrow. Goodnight everybody. 

Why would we compare ourselves to the Gophers ? If there is one other team that is just as good at choking if not worse it is the Minnesota Golden Chokers! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Heck we got swept at DU in either January or February of 2016 and that turned out fairly decent a couple months later 

Absolutely, our favorite FF of 7! IMHO the semi-final vs DU was the Campionship game in Tampa instead of Quinnipiac & whiny Rand

2 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

And here Berry was just interviewed the other day talking about how crisp and sharp the players looked in practice all week. He said this was the best week of practice he’d seen all season. 

The reality of 7-1 hurts.  Practice is practice. Until the end of the first period they had the game but got too cute with their passes.  To much look at me with our beautiful passing.  Wasn’t the passes sometimes just to many passes.  Then the game got away from them with dumb penalties. 

• Upvote 1