SiouxSports.com Forum

Checking Boxes

RedFrog

37 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

With our remaining schedule being more difficult than we would have expected, I feel confident we finish Top 3 but I still don't feel like number 1 is a guarantee. CC on the road will be a huge challenge for us since they are so good defensively and possibly the best goaltending in the league along with stellar coaching. Omaha is trending in the right direction right now and playing them on the road might be tougher than we would have originally thought in the earlier part of the year. If we can split with CC and UNO on the road, that will be a big deal. Regarding remaining regular season home games: Western can pump goals in left and right but as least we get to play them at home and try to neutralize their top scorers with last line change. And although UMD is having a down year, they are still coached by Sandelin and have had some decent games in the New year thus far, therefore, we may not get a clean sweep over them like we did at Amsoil (but boy would it feel incredible to go 4-0 against them this year). All things considered, if we can be healthy and get consistent production from our top 6 (who knows who will be with Berg and Gaber on the top pairing next weekend) while continuing our upward trend of having good puck management, it seems like this team could hoist the pasta trophy outright in Omaha. Making Omaha fans watch us hoist there again would also feel good because they clearly have an obsession with UND :D 

I'm hoping Omaha doesn't have a ton to play for that last weekend.  Of course CC is smelling home ice for the first time in forever, so they will be very tough.   I'm hoping that Miami can hand St. Cloud a loss this weekend so we have a little room for error heading to CC.  

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm hoping Omaha doesn't have a ton to play for that last weekend.  Of course CC is smelling home ice for the first time in forever, so they will be very tough.   I'm hoping that Miami can hand St. Cloud a loss this weekend so we have a little room for error heading to CC.  

Omaha will play hard the rest of the way through. Because even if they aren't playing for home ice, they want to be playing their best hockey heading into the playoffs to have a chance to keep their season alive. Also, they will play hard because we are their biggest rival and ended their season last year, so that'll give them an extra boost. 

4 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Are we rooting for Omaha to lose to keep them away from an at large big so we have a better chance at being placed in Sioux Falls?

I'm not. I'm rooting for Omaha to lose because I think they are annoying :D

In all honesty, I'm a one step at a time kind of guy. The Penrose is step one for me. So, whatever gets us there quickest, count me in

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

it seems like this team could hoist the pasta trophy outright in Omaha. Making Omaha fans watch us hoist there again would also feel good because they clearly have an obsession with UND :D 

I fully intend and expect to watch the hoisting after the Saturday game with Western, on home ice.

• Upvote 4

I could see Omaha spoiling a UND party in Sioux Falls if they make the tournament.  They'd likely be a #4 seed, and if UND is a #1 seed, to avoid a conference match-up, UND would get sent somewhere else, presumably suburban St. Louis, as the eastern regionals will have plenty of eastern teams close by.  That would be the only scenario I see that would keep UND out of Sioux Falls.  Otherwise, the #1 seed in Sioux Falls would be a pretty steamed eastern team that would probably have to face a western powerhouse like UND, Wisconsin, or Denver as #2 seed in the regional final.  So, assuming playing in Sioux Falls is deemed an advantage for UND (I would say it is), getting Omaha out of the way is a good idea, assuming we remain a #1 seed.

On 2/3/2024 at 10:08 AM, jk said:

Talking about winning the league and going far in the national tournament this early feels jinxy to me, but ... I do appreciate the nice little spreadsheet.

Starting to think you are right ...

On 2/2/2024 at 12:52 PM, RedFrog said:

Made a Google Sheet.  Very basic and will expand upon it as things narrow down.  Still too many variables right now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cqw98NtmwDaV1JzRNUu1eyiGTtDZXmN4hjt3Mk0TIfA/edit?usp=sharing

I added onto the detailed current standing you've created with a sheet that will allow you to select the outcome of each remaining NCHC game and see what the final standings will be. You just have to select the outcome of each game in the column highlighted in yellow and the standings at the top left corner will automatically update and sort based on your selections. Have fun predicting!

Online Editable Version: NCHC Hockey Fun - Editable.xlsx

View-only if you'd like to download your own copy: NCHC Hockey Fun.xlsx

• Upvote 1

Made a Google Sheet.  Very basic and will expand upon it as things narrow down.  Still too many variables right now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cqw98NtmwDaV1JzRNUu1eyiGTtDZXmN4hjt3Mk0TIfA/edit?usp=sharing

Nice to be able to update this and reduce the magic numbers.  3 for home ice.  We also eliminated Duluth from Penrose contention tonight.

• Upvote 1

Need 1 point from WMU next weekend to lock up home ice ... and check a box!

Box 1 checked - Home Ice clinched.

Win in regulation tomorrow, and clinch at least a share of the Penrose.  Win in regulation and Denver takes at least 1 point from SCSU, clinch outright.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, RedFrog said:

Box 1 checked - Home Ice clinched.

Win in regulation tomorrow, and clinch at least a share of the Penrose.  Win in regulation and Denver takes at least 1 point from SCSU, clinch outright.

I was not told that math was involved in being a sports fan...I would like to sue for misinformation....

In all honestly...thank you to you and others for crunching the numbers so that my brain doesn't explode.