SiouxSports.com Forum

Kessel

I Ranger

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm too lazy to research it...has there ever been a college player who was (or projected to be) the first overall pick in the NHL draft?

There has to have been. DiPietro maybe? :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jason Herter

Anyone with those skills is going to look great and very fast always playing on a huge piece of ice. Just wait until he gets his first a## whooping coming up the open ice in a smaller arena. Lights out and come again....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How many a** whoopings did ZP receive while in the WCHA. Not many if any. You can't whoop what you can't catch.

Kinda like some of the Sioux fans bad-mouthing him now? Do you think their tune would change if he gave UND a verbal? The Gopher board will no doubt be minimizing his talent in a similiar fashion if he opts for Wisconsin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure that was my exact point..."everybody" includes Sioux fans...

How many a** whoopings did ZP receive while in the WCHA. Not many if any. You can't whoop what you can't catch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that some sort of a compliment for ZP from a Goofer Rube?

Oooooh big man in today's game  :D .  Toews is a bit younger and already as big if not bigger.  The bottom line is that the games he excelled in were against the patty-cake teams like the Swedes.  Dion Phaneuf would have fed him his lunch if he had tried one of those moves against Team Canada.  The WCHA doesn't play international hockey and is a rude awaken for many finesse players who were used to racking up the big numbers in high school or international hockey.  I am not worried about Toews as he cut his teeth in Winnipeg Hockey and Parise had his dad's toughness.  I haven't witness or heard anyone talk about Kessel's physical or defensive game.  Give me a guy who can be a scoring leader in one of the hard hitting Canadian Tier II Junior League anyday.  I just wish we could find more D-men from those leagues like Commodore or Roche.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure makes one wonder why anyone is even interested in the kid. :blush:

Size has never been a factor in the WCHA---look at Blake, Hoogsten, Panzer, Olimb, Mike Crowley, etc.--and it won't be for Kessel. Congratulations to the Gophers on landing a huge recruit. Hopefully, that frees up another very good Minnesota kid to come to UND.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You named a few greats who demonstrated they could excel even when games got WCHA physical. Haven't seen Kessel have to do that yet.

Blah blah blah.  Sioux fans diminishing Kessell's impact here, and gopher fans already posting the 2005-06 championship banner on GPL.  And someone wants to make a distinction between the two groups....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd be interested in seeing anyone that is already annointing any future Gophers squad as NC. While it might be a stretch to predict Kessell will be the next Spehar, it's also a stretch to claim he'll be the next Kariya.

First of all...chances are it is USA Hockey that is setting up the whole press conference/conference call.  This kid is a media circus for the USNDP and they are most likely gonna use that to their advantage however they can. 

Second, I believe it was scouts (or perhaps the coach of the U18 squad) who was quoted as saying that Kessel was the best American borne player since Mike Madano.  It isn't like Dubay is making this stuff up.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way eh boys :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The "fact" that Dubay keeps repeating it is a joke in itself.

There's still only one puck.

Who didn't UND land because they didn't want to be in Parise's shadow?

Hockey remains a team game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hirsch :blush::D:lol:

I hate to seeing these kids getting younger and younger entering the WCHA, especially for the Sioux.

Phil Kessel is overrated, not a team player, a puck hog, doesn't pass, is slow and lazy, and doesn't play defense.  He'll never win a championship.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So hopefully he'll fit in with the rest of the guys I root for right? :blush:

There's still only one puck.

Who didn't UND land because they didn't want to be in Parise's shadow?

Who won't Minnesota land because they don't want to be in Kessel's shadow?

Hockey remains a team game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aboslutely. I hope most fans (Gophers and non) realize he's just one kid and he's just that - a kid. While I will be quite elated if he goes to UM it's no guarantee of team success.

Of course, you always have the sane hockey fan that puts things into a true perspective. :blush::

Phil Kessel is overrated, not a team player, a puck hog, doesn't pass, is slow and lazy, and doesn't play defense.  He'll never win a championship.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for making my morning with that quote. I just about fell out of my chair! :blush: If it is true that Kessel chooses Minnesota I'm sure he'll get me out of my chair for other reasons. :D

The Gophers landing Kessel just continues to add to the talent coming into the WCHA. UND's class coming in is good enough that you could make the argument that the Gophers needed to land Kessel to keep up. Wisconsin, even though they apparently lose out in the Kessel sweepstakes, has a very good group coming in as well as Denver, CC, and UMD. As much as we like to get under the skins of our rivals you can put that aside for just a moment and thank your lucky stars that the team you root for plays in the best hockey conference. :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You forgot that he's ugly and his mother dresses him funny. In addition, he watches Britney Spears videos with the sound on, he can't skate without a chair, he relaxes by trying to find "Waldo" and he has a propensity to suck his thumb when he's in the penalty box. :D:blush: