SiouxSports.com Forum

Northern Arizona @ UND 9/9/2023

SiouxFan100

32 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

A couple of thoughts..

• KK has taken a lot of crap on this forum.. he has played a lot better this year.  He had a great pass breakup during this last game and I havent seen any plays yet like last year where he was running across the field behind somebody on blown coverage.  Also.. kid must have some shoulder issues as he comes over to the sidelines multiple times a game looking like he has dislocated his shoulder.  Seems like a super tough kid.
  • Defense continues to improve.  Obviously this trend needs to continue but I am more optimistic about the defense based on the two games so far.  Our talent and depth seems to be significantly improved over last year.
  • I wasnt worried for a single minute during the game that we were going to lose it.  We can complain about the last 5 minutes (for all the haters out there.. Bubba also expressed signficant disappointment in the finish).. but overall compared to last year this game was smooth sailing.
  • It was great to see skokna back in there.. the kid runs hard.. is super fast and fun to watch.  I feel very good about our RB talent, I wish they would have skokna/red returning kicks and punts instead of Belquist and Siegel.  I hold my breath every time those two guys are back there on punts and kicks
  • The kickoff game continues to baffle me.. I cant believe he doesnt have the leg to kick it into the endzone (if he doesnt there are probably 10+ North Dakota High school kids a year that can and do) and so it must be on purpose.  Not what I would pick but Im only an old guy on the internet.
  • Sometimes Danny still gets too cute for my liking.. sometimes when you are ripping off 8-10 yds a carry you do that until they stop you.  I love how they are involving Quincy.  They already have shown a nice progression of options on the Q sneak play.
  • I think Siouxfan97 has point on Tommy's deep passes.. I also think he is completely delusional on replacing him with a true freshman.  Danny sees these guys every day in practice and games and if he thought we had a better chance with one of our other QB's i think he would replace Tommy in a minute.. Tommy is awesome and we are lucky to have him.  He is tough as nails and makes great decisions over and over.  I wish he would have played his Freshman year (2019) versus having to suffer through watching Ketteringham (who also threw a nice deep ball by the way)

Im looking forward to an upset in Boise.. Defense has to keep improving.

I agree with everything.  Schuster has intangables... watching Chambers try to handle the MSU offense vs SDSU really made me appreciate how great of a job Tommy does "managing" the game.  UND runs a ton of unique plays and there are rarely ever issues.  Not sure every QB can do that, especially freshman.  Agree on the long balls point to an extent, but I'm not complaining about the results.  Need a stronger arm to win vs Boise?  I could see one guy in particular surprising some people with a bomb on 3rd and 1 next week.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I agree with everything.  Schuster has intangables... watching Chambers try to handle the MSU offense vs SDSU really made me appreciate how great of a job Tommy does "managing" the game.  UND runs a ton of unique places and there are rarely ever issues.  Not sure every QB can do that, especially freshman.  Agree on the long balls point to an extent, but I'm not complaining about the results.  Need a stronger arm to win vs Boise?  I could one guy in particular surprising some people with a bomb on 3rd and 1 next week.

I agree 100% on Tommy.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

A couple of thoughts..

• KK has taken a lot of crap on this forum.. he has played a lot better this year.  He had a great pass breakup during this last game and I havent seen any plays yet like last year where he was running across the field behind somebody on blown coverage.  Also.. kid must have some shoulder issues as he comes over to the sidelines multiple times a game looking like he has dislocated his shoulder.  Seems like a super tough kid.
  • Defense continues to improve.  Obviously this trend needs to continue but I am more optimistic about the defense based on the two games so far.  Our talent and depth seems to be significantly improved over last year.
  • I wasnt worried for a single minute during the game that we were going to lose it.  We can complain about the last 5 minutes (for all the haters out there.. Bubba also expressed signficant disappointment in the finish).. but overall compared to last year this game was smooth sailing.
  • It was great to see skokna back in there.. the kid runs hard.. is super fast and fun to watch.  I feel very good about our RB talent, I wish they would have skokna/red returning kicks and punts instead of Belquist and Siegel.  I hold my breath every time those two guys are back there on punts and kicks
  • The kickoff game continues to baffle me.. I cant believe he doesnt have the leg to kick it into the endzone (if he doesnt there are probably 10+ North Dakota High school kids a year that can and do) and so it must be on purpose.  Not what I would pick but Im only an old guy on the internet.
  • Sometimes Danny still gets too cute for my liking.. sometimes when you are ripping off 8-10 yds a carry you do that until they stop you.  I love how they are involving Quincy.  They already have shown a nice progression of options on the Q sneak play.
  • I think Siouxfan97 has point on Tommy's deep passes.. I also think he is completely delusional on replacing him with a true freshman.  Danny sees these guys every day in practice and games and if he thought we had a better chance with one of our other QB's i think he would replace Tommy in a minute.. Tommy is awesome and we are lucky to have him.  He is tough as nails and makes great decisions over and over.  I wish he would have played his Freshman year (2019) versus having to suffer through watching Ketteringham (who also threw a nice deep ball by the way)

Couldn't have said it any better myself!

I really like the way Ziebarth runs the football...I get the whole "keeping our backs fresh" and distributing carries thing...but he's my bell cow if it was me calling plays!

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

A couple of thoughts..

Agree with everything.  The kickoff I believe is designed to be around the 5 yard line forcing the opponent to with intent to tackle before the 25 yard line.  Doesn't always work.

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

A couple of thoughts..

Nice analyses! From what I understand, KK was playing injured last year. Even more so than this year. 

Just now watching the longer version of the highlights (I did not see the game live or on replay yesterday), and I got to see a lot of plays that the shorter version of the highlights didn't have.

That play in the second quarter where we fake the QB sneak with Vaughn and then Tommy comes to take the snap and then pass to Vaughn is just great. 

I also got to see the 2-point attempt on our first TD for the first time.  That definitely should have been caught for 2.  Oh well.

Good runs by Smith, Skokna, and Z throughout.  Offense is so dynamic with those runners and our receivers.  

Gutsy call late in the 2nd on 4th & short from deep in the zone.  Glad that decision didn't come back to bite us.  This place would've burned down again.  Another gutsy call is the pass the Belquist on 4th & 1.  Would have had lots of options on that play call, but that definitely wasn't one to expect.

Schuster just doing Schuster things.  Man, what an asset to bring scrambling into his arsenal.  Also an asset - Vaughn getting short yardage seemingly automatically.

Great punt late in the first half to pin them at the 5.

Defense still struggling with some tackling and DL getting pushed a little too much for our liking.  Defense wasn't all bad though.  Some good coverage, and some sacks.  Great play in the last minute of the half to turn the ball over and not let them score.

Griffin is an nice asset to be able to bring in on offense to get path cleared or a push from behind.  Nice pickup in the off season.

The two touchdowns that were scored late by NAU, does anyone know if that was our backups in at defense?  

After the two touchdowns, a nice series by our offense to end the game.

19 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Just now watching the longer version of the highlights (I did not see the game live or on replay yesterday), and I got to see a lot of plays that the shorter version of the highlights didn't have.

That play in the second quarter where we fake the QB sneak with Vaughn and then Tommy comes to take the snap and then pass to Vaughn is just great. 

I also got to see the 2-point attempt on our first TD for the first time.  That definitely should have been caught for 2.  Oh well.

Good runs by Smith, Skokna, and Z throughout.  Offense is so dynamic with those runners and our receivers.  

Gutsy call late in the 2nd on 4th & short from deep in the zone.  Glad that decision didn't come back to bite us.  This place would've burned down again.  Another gutsy call is the pass the Belquist on 4th & 1.  Would have had lots of options on that play call, but that definitely wasn't one to expect.

Schuster just doing Schuster things.  Man, what an asset to bring scrambling into his arsenal.  Also an asset - Vaughn getting short yardage seemingly automatically.

Great punt late in the first half to pin them at the 5.

Defense still struggling with some tackling and DL getting pushed a little too much for our liking.  Defense wasn't all bad though.  Some good coverage, and some sacks.  Great play in the last minute of the half to turn the ball over and not let them score.

Griffin is an nice asset to be able to bring in on offense to get path cleared or a push from behind.  Nice pickup in the off season.

The two touchdowns that were scored late by NAU, does anyone know if that was our backups in at defense?  

After the two touchdowns, a nice series by our offense to end the game.

The last two TD's were against are second string.

• Upvote 1