SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

9 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Per source

chaves quietly extending bubba 3 years

Danny went in to meeting with them expecting chaves bubba to let Danny know bubba will be retiring and he will be named successor and he was blind sided with the plan they wanted to put in place. Danny was more scared about having a bad year this year and everyone getting canned if they didn’t perform so elected to go with the safe money 

This is old news. Pathetic and embarrassing news, but still old news. UND athletics continues to make questionable decisions, and it all comes back to low expectations and ulterior motives.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

So the rumor is not true or Landry did not know?

What am I missing?

You appear to have inside knowledge. 

Landry spending a week in Grand Forks had zero to do with anything mentioned. 

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, jdub27 said:

First, consider the source. It definitely seems to be more sensationalized from any of the versions I've heard. The end result was likely best for everyone in the long run, even if it meant losing the OC. And before the random arguments come up, I'm not saying that I think losing the OC was good for the very near future.

Also, no clue if there is an actual extension in the works (even though some have decided it is apparently already done since its been brought up for the last two months). Even if there is, as was already stated, it doesn't mean anything until we see the actual details of what would be in any sort of extension. If it is a multi-year extension with full buyout, that's significantly different than an extension in years only with an easy buyout for UND that on the surface shows long-term stability to help with recruiting, which these days includes new recruits and keeping your own players on your team.

You epitomize the status quo. You antagonize innovation and improvement (change). But, you are consistent with your message and provide an excellent example of the very mindset permeating throughout UND decision-makers (e.g., Chaves) right now, particularly in regards to UND football. This microcosm is a nice example for us trying to understand the proposed rationale for poor decision-making, so, thank you. 

As for extension with possible buy-out terms in favor of UND, that is a good point. Hopefully UND and Chaves actually do that. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Saying a new OC is good in the long-run is antagonizing innovation and pushing the status quo? Wild.

Just because people don't continuously beat a dead horse anonymously on a message board, hold grudges, threaten to withhold donations and demand to burn everything down doesn't not mean they aren't actually working on different ways to improve the program and athletic department by actually doing things that hopefully help.

I assume/hope we all wants what is best for UND. We definitely all have different views on how that can/should be accomplished.

Defense has been awful the past couple seasons. Team is awful on the road and after big games. Can’t advance in the playoffs when they do happen to sneak in. That is not the offensive coordinator’s fault, but rather the head ball coach (who is supposed to be a defensive guy). 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Defense has been awful the past couple seasons. Team is awful on the road and after big games. Can’t advance in the playoffs when they do happen to sneak in. That is not the offensive coordinator’s fault, but rather the head ball coach (who is supposed to be a defensive guy). 

Offensive coordinators play calling post NDSU deserves no blame?? 

2 hours ago, homer said:

Offensive coordinators play calling post NDSU deserves no blame?? 

Not sure you can blame the offense the past two seasons. During the playoff games (games that truly matter), the offense scored over 30 points in both games and still lost … 

In big games, we know which unit is more likely to not show up …

Offensive coordinator and his unit have not been perfect the last several seasons, that is for sure, but the defense has been the weakest link and the team’s mindset/execution in road games is horrendous. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Other than 2016, in terms of playoff field, they’ve always been 67th percentile or lower.

Haven't looked back but have they ever been in the last 4 in? Or been a controversial pick? 

That would be sneaking in by almost anyone's definition. 

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Haven't looked back but have they ever been in the last 4 in? Or been a controversial pick? 

That would be sneaking in by almost anyone's definition. 

2019 was the most suspect due to no conference. I think 2022 and 2023 were felt to be comfortable only because of MVFC affiliation, not because the team exceeded expectations.

Sticking to facts and questions:

The head FB coach has a contract through the 2025 season. 
A lame duck HC has an impact on retention (assistants, players, recruits). 

What's the plan beyond the present ends-in-2025 HC contract? <-- This a question for Chaves; he has a podcast; so ask it.  

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Sticking to facts and questions:

The head FB coach has a contract through the 2025 season. 
A lame duck HC has an impact on retention (assistants, players, recruits). 

What's the plan beyond the present ends-in-2025 HC contract? <-- This a question for Chaves; he has a podcast; so ask it.  

Wouldn't the likely answer be:

We are working on that, but the 2024 season will have some impact on that decision so we need to see how that plays out.

14 minutes ago, shep said:

Wouldn't the likely answer be:

We are working on that, but the 2024 season will have some impact on that decision so we need to see how that plays out.

Or the answer will likely be we are going to sit back take a look at everything evaluate the college football landscape think philosophically make an educated guess and then sign the contract with a three-year extension

41 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Or the answer will likely be we are going to sit back take a look at everything evaluate the college football landscape think philosophically make an educated guess and then sign the contract with a three-year extension

I'm impressed with the eloquence of this post.

Actually, I'm stunned.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Unfortunately, this is most probable outcome, but it’s not the right outcome in my opinion. 

Improvement is “hard”

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Shouldn't this be for almost any program a minor issue? Look at UND's athletic budget. For 250K more per year, you could be at the top of the league for salaries. Call it 500K and all of a suddenly you're at the top for all sports. I do think Chaves has done a lot of really good things. Facilities are top notch (once Phase II is completed). Weird that what appears to be the easiest thing to accomplish $ wise, is the only thing that's lacking from this Athletic department. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

Shouldn't this be for almost any program a minor issue? Look at UND's athletic budget. For 250K more per year, you could be at the top of the league for salaries. Call it 500K and all of a suddenly you're at the top for all sports. I do think Chaves has done a lot of really good things. Facilities are top notch (once Phase II is completed). Weird that what appears to be the easiest thing to accomplish $ wise, is the only thing that's lacking from this Athletic department. 

Regionally speaking, in terms of trying to recruit folks to work and live in Grand Forks, ND, it’s an incredibly, should we say, suspect strategy to have bottom-half salaries compared to conference peers. In my opinion, it’s ridiculous and puts UND athletics in an immediate disadvantage. 

• Upvote 1