SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

27 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

As I recall.. last year you were calling Tommy Noodle arm and advocating for Jerry and Feeney.  Somehow this kid with no throwing ability (according to you) beat out both of those guys in an open competition.  Danny could have picked either one of those guys.. Fruechte also could have picked either of those guys and yet they both picked somebody else.  Lets give Romfo a chance here.

Whens the last time we beat the #4 team in the country..  Last year I think NDSU was #6 or #7 but I cant remember and the running game was the star of that show as well.  The impact of a great running game on our defensive performance cant be emphasized enough.

Agree with you on the interceptions.. they were basically the same play two different games.. I think he got hit on both throws..

the griz game his int had zero to do with the contact...he was chucking that thing no matter what so i'm assuming he was going to do the same against ia state.....just let it rip.

20 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Is Tommy still on the roster or what???

It sure seems like it by the amount of people that are still talking about him.....

The reason we are talking about him is that he COULD still be on the roster.  A lot of people griped about Tommy's passing, but so far Romfo's is worse, so we're speculating (or at least I am) what the offense would be like if an efficient passer (Tommy) were still QB instead of an efficient runner (Romfo).  It's all hypothetical.  I am not "wishing" we still had Tommy because that part was settled after last season.  If Romfo had a passing game, no one would be talking about Tommy.

• Upvote 3

I believe Tom Miller had written that Romfo had strong arm in practices but so far this hasn't been shown in the first two games. Und right now is missing big receiver that can stretch the field Dennis is only one that has shown to have some field stretching capabilities. Belquist is great receiver but more the ball control receiver and does things after the catch. I got to believe they have to be looking for someone to step up for stretching the field my guess its Deng Deng he fits the description with size and speed. I wonder if they aren't waiting for the conference season use his redshirt games before they would pull a redshirt. Belquist and other und receiving targets need this to open the passing game and also will make running game that much more successful and not mention to help Romfo in the passing game. 

4 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I believe Tom Miller had written that Romfo had strong arm in practices but so far this hasn't been shown in the first two games. Und right now is missing big receiver that can stretch the field Dennis is only one that has shown to have some field stretching capabilities. Belquist is great receiver but more the ball control receiver and does things after the catch. I got to believe they have to be looking for someone to step up for stretching the field my guess its Deng Deng he fits the description with size and speed. I wonder if they aren't waiting for the conference season use his redshirt games before they would pull a redshirt. Belquist and other und receiving targets need this to open the passing game and also will make running game that much more successful and not mention to help Romfo in the passing game. 

he's a junior....romfo isn't going to become kurt warner now or next year. if you watched the griz game you would know this.  randy moss on a fly pattern against the griz and it would land on the catwalk

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

he's a junior....romfo isn't going to become kurt warner now or next year. if you watched the griz game you would know this.  randy moss on a fly pattern against the griz and it would land on the catwalk

And Moss would catch it.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Is Tommy still on the roster or what???

It sure seems like it by the amount of people that are still talking about him.....

Heroes get remembered, but legends never die!

Sorry, couldn't help myself! :lol:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Not sure who the DC for the griz is ....but how are you not sending 8 guys at simon in the second half....

craziest game i've seen since maybe deion's pix six against nau iirc????

alerus did a great job....BUT free the catwalk....stop trying to force it...it aint working.

not that it matters at this point bc they just run around downfield for no reason........but need to sprinkle in some the younger wr's that can maybe get some seperation ...i think i saw kai in the field for a few plays....

anyone know why the guy that looked like cold stone steven austin (griz fan) had a beef with a blond und fan near the 217 inner concourse in the 4th quarter.....he was fired up and a bunch of security had to break up something.

I notice that sometimes DC's (even awesome ones) have trouble adjusting to offenses without anything resembling a passing game in real-time. 

Unless the UND QB gets better in that department, other DC's will adapt. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I notice that sometimes DC's (even awesome ones) have trouble adjusting to offenses without anything resembling a passing game in real-time. 

Unless the UND QB gets better in that department, other DC's will adapt. 

Exactly. UND opened the game with three straight passes. To say they were off the mark is generous. Hauck made zero adjustments knowing UND was just going to run it after tye first drive in the 2nd half and UND said thank you very much.

• Upvote 1

What I saw in Saturday's game we were getting very little separation by receivers from the defenders and safeties and corners were playing very tight coverages to me this means they had no respect for receivers in deeper patterns of escaping from them to be open. Some of you will think it's the quarterback but I also think it's the receivers you need breakaway speed that allows enough time for the quarterback to be able deliver the football. I guess it's scenario of what's first chicken or the egg. There are things they can do open up passing game and plays to Romfo strengths he is not going to be traditional big quarterback in the pocket, but he has other abilities to stretch the field both vertical and horizontal opening up for big plays. He makes the offensive line be more effective and reduces number of sacks that would happen under traditional quarterback how the season plays out is still to be determined but he has been winner including up to now and let's face he went out won this job it was given to him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I laughed out loud on the catwalk part.  I think he has a strong arm but must close his eyes before he throws it.  I noticed he certainly locks in on a receiver once its snapped.  Any junior high would pick up on this.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Exactly. UND opened the game with three straight passes. To say they were off the mark is generous. Hauck made zero adjustments knowing UND was just going to run it after tye first drive in the 2nd half and UND said thank you very much.

A win is a win. But UND will be facing stacked boxes moving forward. I hope UND makes it work. Things are more fun when the Dakota schools put a decent team on the field.

He clearly won't be an elite down-field passer, but you have to think we're seeing Romfo's floor right now. No way he wins the starting job if this is what he was showing in Fall camp. Need it to be sooner than later, but I have faith we'll see steady improvement passing starting this week.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sioux27 said:

I laughed out loud on the catwalk part.  I think he has a strong arm but must close his eyes before he throws it.  I noticed he certainly locks in on a receiver once its snapped.  Any junior high would pick up on this.

he does not have a strong arm...he has to get his whole body into  his throws and that leads to ia state throws that land in the stands instead of an easy TD throw.......when he tried to hit that wr down the northeast sideline.....that's a long long throw for a small guy and it showed....he put everything he had into it and it landed 20 yards short or something....wr was kinda open iirc.