SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Everyone blaming the hockey budget

get the other programs winning and money follows, South Dakota had a great turnaround in football last year, I doubt their budget increased first

like in anything your leaders need to have a vision

bubba is lacking that

chaves is lacking that 

bubba needs to get out more and let people know what the hell is going on and how he is going to fix it 

Bubba isn’t capable to facilitate the turnaround. I agree there needs to be more leadership and vision. 

3 hours ago, dmksioux said:

Easy.  Money.  It’s always about money.  Until we invest in others sports not named hockey, nothing will change.

Of course. Need more leadership and vision to acquire more for non-hockey sports and enhance the budget. It’s obvious but can’t be ignored: NDSU and SDSU don’t have to fund a hockey program whereas UND does. It still seems that the Kennedy/Engelstad McGarry feud and REA Inc. agreement is causing issues. After Kennedy left, seems UND realized it is not worth the trouble and moved on; thus, they’re in a stranglehold via REA, Inc.  

But if you don’t acknowledge the problem then it’s certainly easier to cope. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

So in the past let's say we had 8 men's and 8 women's sports.....Did all revenue for all sources regardless of teams go in the ADepartment's bank account?

From there did the ADepartment than say...ok....UND hockey coach you get 80k a year....top 3 in the wcha probably behind minny and wisco?

Did they then say football coach you get 75k which the top two of the ncc?  assisantant coaches pool was top 1, 2 or 3?

Same thing with basketball coaches.....60k...top 1 or 2 or 3 of ncc?

Flash forward to KEM and REA......revenue goes into REA coffers instead of a general ADepartemnt account and from there "they (hockey only people)" say......

Bubs you get 450k and 400k for assistants which is far far more than 2nd in the nchc.....

Bubba you get 220k which is good for 5th in the mvfc and your assistants can split 300k which gets you......not much considering ndsu pays 650k to it's assistnats.

and so forth and so forth for bball, vball, and everything else (less than peer schools?)

i'm confused, I thought the situation with the REA was about ticket revenue, now your claiming the REA is setting salaries?

Not sure if there is change from 8-10 years ago. Someone who experienced the budgeting process said a crazy amount of the sports budget went to hockey (I don’t recall numbers). Judging the lack of change in salaries (head coach to assistants) I doubt it is any different now. 

1 hour ago, homer said:

I could see the Northern St OC based on current staff. 

wildcard could be David Schramm from UMary.  Offense wasn’t great but the guy has a resume that is much better than the OC that just left and would have been a better hire if you take names out of it.  

I was thinking U Mary OC 

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

i'm confused, I thought the situation with the REA was about ticket revenue, now your claiming the REA is setting salaries?

im asking.....why did we go from being competitive in terms of coaches salaries to where we are now? 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

im asking.....why did we go from being competitive in terms of coaches salaries to where we are now? 

oh, ok   didn't realize you were doing the "throw sh!t against the wall" speculation....   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

oh, ok   didn't realize you were doing the "throw sh!t against the wall" speculation....   

it's not speculation that our coaches are underpaid compared to our dak peer schools.....question is why?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

fair point, the veiled shot at the REA wasn't needed, but you do you

wasnt a veiled shot.....i think the REA "agreement" is the new variable that fundamentally changed our AD to whores working for madame kem

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

wasnt a veiled shot.....i think the REA "agreement" is the new variable that fundamentally changed our AD to whores working for madame kem

Even if the REA agreement was better, I still think a more innovative funding model is needed to be competitive across-the-board in Division I. The expenses of being a Division I institution are only going to go up in the future. If we keep the current model, we'll end up like Northern Colorado.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I think a big part of it was when the decision to go Div 1. was made.  Made more out of desperation in order to keep up with the neighbors.  Meanwhile not much thought was put into increased expenses.  Coaching salaries, facilities, etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NDRA said:

I think a big part of it was when the decision to go Div 1. was made.  Made more out of desperation in order to keep up with the neighbors.  Meanwhile not much thought was put into increased expenses.  Coaching salaries, facilities, etc.

yeah, late to the game is often a tough way to find success...   if moo u had sunk like a rock in what turned out to be a diluted jv d-1 with more overhead we would be proud of our astute decision...   isn't there a current financial situation where UND is better off than Moo U?   I don't grasp the title 9 loophole thing and don't care to learn it, but curious if the loophole was closed, then what....

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Appears the two final candidates were very close, like his leadership and professional background and regional roots. If the only tipping point for Landry was his UND Legacy that has been severly damaged. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NDRA said:

You are 100% correct!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Appears the two final candidates were very close, like his leadership and professional background and regional roots. If the only tipping point for Landry was his UND Legacy that has been severly damaged. 

Was it really tho coach talk?

whats bubba gunna say this was his 4th pick

2 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

I can confirm it was extremely close between him and Landry. In the end, Landry's UND connection won it for him.

So bubba made that decision? What do we think of bubbas decision makings skills? It should be und connection. It should be experience and philosophy and energy