SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC post season tourney format

SIOUXFAN97

Should NCHC switch Postseason tourney to all games on campus (Big10 model)  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should NCHC switch Postseason tourney to all games on campus

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Depends on if they will add Mankato and/or St. Thomas and/or drop Miami within the next few years.  If none of the above, move to campus sites.

Add Mankato and St. Thomas. Drop Miami and Western Michigan.

Much better geographically for the Frozen Faceoff and other things as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Kind of wrecks the spirit of the “National” Collegiate Hockey Conference though, doesn’t it?

So the “new” conference would become Denver, Colorado College, St Cloud State, UNO, UMD, North Dakota, Minnesota State, and St Thomas.  Hmnnnn…how about the Western Collegiate Hockey Association?

if the summit loses Kansas City and Oral Roberts (one factor being the post season tourney in cold ass sioux falls) and they are replaced with Augie and St Cloud State they could then name the new coference .............North Central Conference?

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if the summit loses Kansas City and Oral Roberts (one factor being the post season tourney in cold ass sioux falls) and they are replaced with Augie and St Cloud State they could then name the new coference .............North Central Conference?

The Simpsons gif. Grandpa Simpson walks inside removes his hat places it on the hat rack walks away and, walking in a circle, walks back grabs his hat puts it on his head and leaves as Bart watches.

• Like 1

As a fan of UND, who lives nowhere close (except Omaha) to any NCHC campus, MSP gives chances to some for attending games when the trip wouldn't happen if it were on a home site. There's not great attendance at the Faceoff tho which kinda stinks. However, I think that aspect changes every year based on who makes it. UND brings fans, UMD I would assume would show up, was SCSU well represented?

Omaha will likely bring fans if they ever make it. But having two Colorado schools didn't help the situation at all.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

As a fan of UND, who lives nowhere close (except Omaha) to any NCHC campus, MSP gives chances to some for attending games when the trip wouldn't happen if it were on a home site. There's not great attendance at the Faceoff tho which kinda stinks. However, I think that aspect changes every year based on who makes it. UND brings fans, UMD I would assume would show up, was SCSU well represented?

Omaha will likely bring fans if they ever make it. But having two Colorado schools didn't help the situation at all.

at the title game ....nope...this is why they should never have been invited to the nchc anyways...frauds and losers.  too bad the other und backed out but should've gone with mankato instead of jan brady tech

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

UND brings fans, UMD I would assume would show up, was SCSU well represented?

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

at the title game ....nope...this is why they should never have been invited to the nchc anyways...frauds and losers.  too bad the other und backed out but should've gone with mankato instead of jan brady tech

SCSU should really be embarrassed at the level of fan support for the title game against CC.  Absolutely abysmal.  

100% agree, @SIOUXFAN97, leaving Mankato on the outside looking in was a huge mistake.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

And leave Bemidji hanging??

Would really feel terrible about that.  Therefore, St. Thomas to replace Miami is my preference.  Miami would walk away happily without a buyout.  St. Thomas being in the league could potentially help to get Midco on to more cable platforms in the twin cities in addition to comcast. 

CC is kinda lame despite their history and how good they ever become.  I like Western in the league over them.

NCHC can be Northern Collegiate Hockey League.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

Just drop them? Seems kinda "snobbish".

Yeah, "drop" is a little harsh. Maybe "persuade" is more diplomatic? :silly:

People complain about the NCHC tournament format and how bad it is, but don't seem open to possible solutions. And the lack of fans teams like Miami bring to the tournament is one of the problems that is unlikely to change anytime soon.

I have heard some scuttlebutt in the past that some people at Miami think they should get out of the NCHC because of their lack of competitiveness since joining the league 10 years ago. Let them leave without paying the exit fee, invite St. Thomas in and I think the Frozen Faceoff may have better attendance in the future. Western Michigan is a solid program and an asset to the league and they did bring some fans with them to the 2022 Frozen Faceoff. So I think I was a little impulsive including them on the "drop" list. But I still think St. Thomas would be 10 times the asset to the league that Miami is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

People complain about the NCHC tournament format and how bad it is, but don't seem open to possible solutions. And the lack of fans teams like Miami bring to the tournament is one of the problems that is unlikely to change anytime soon.

I have heard some scuttlebutt in the past that some people at Miami think they should get out of the NCHC because of their lack of competitiveness since joining the league 10 years ago. Let them leave without paying the exit fee, invite St. Thomas in and I think the Frozen Faceoff may have better attendance in the future. Western Michigan is a solid program and an asset to the league and they did bring some fans with them to the 2022 Frozen Faceoff. So I think I was a little impulsive including them on the "drop" list. But I still think St. Thomas would be 10 times the asset to the league that Miami is.

The closest “road trip” for Miami outside of Kalamazoo is a healthy 11 hour bus ride to Omaha.  Awfully tough to bag on their fans for not making many away games.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

The closest “road trip” for Miami outside of Kalamazoo is a healthy 11 hour bus ride to Omaha.  Awfully tough to bag on their fans for not making many away games.

I wasn't "bagging" on the fans as much as on the poor location of Miami relative to the rest of the league.

Also, I said "like Miami", which would include the Colorado schools as well.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I wasn't "bagging" on the fans as much as on the poor location of Miami relative to the rest of the league.

Also, I said "like Miami", which would include the Colorado schools as well.

And if Miami leaves, WMU’s closest travel partner goes from 4.5 hours away to over 9 hours away in Duluth.  What’s their incentive to stay in the “National” Collegiate Hockey Conference?  

Do we want to boot DU and CC to the curb as well and become basically a Minnesota-teams minus the Gophers conference? 

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

And if Miami leaves, WMU’s closest travel partner goes from 4.5 hours away to over 9 hours away in Duluth.  What’s their incentive to stay in the “National” Collegiate Hockey Conference?  

Do we want to boot DU and CC to the curb as well and become basically a Minnesota-teams minus the Gophers conference? 

Travel partners? What is this, NCC basketball?

If everything should remain as is, then people need to stop complaining about the Frozen Faceoff and poor attendance. And I still think St. Thomas is a school we must get in our league before another conference snatches them up.

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Travel partners? What is this, NCC basketball?

If everything should remain as is, then people need to stop complaining about the Frozen Faceoff and poor attendance. And I still think St. Thomas is a school we must get in our league before another conference snatches them up.

Like the CCHA?

38 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

I think appearance would be much better if they'd just keep everyone downstairs. Spreading out probably doesn't help in the X. Makes it feel like an AHL game in Des Moines. 

Agreed here.  No reason to open up the club section.  Maybe that means they can open more restaurants downstairs instead of 1/2 of them open throughout the arena.