SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstols report card

SIOUXELEVENS

Yes, Blais had a bare cupboard.  Hakstol got the keys to the frickin' restaurant.  The two situations can't begin to be compared on a level field.

Had Parise and Bochenski returned, I would agree that Hakstol would have inherited a stacked team. But when you subtract the two of them, plus Lundblom, you take three of the five best forwards, two of them Hobey finalists, off last year's team. It's hard to predict how players will step up and fill a void like that in the scoring lines. There are some special offensive players on this team, but they are mostly freshmen and sophomores.

That said, I agree that Hakstol has inherited a better team than Blais did, and I expected, and still expect, more from this team.

Blais might have been in a better position with the fans, though, arriving on the heels of three losing seasons. Hakstol inherited the defending league champion, and all the expectations that come with that.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at what the Sioux lost after the 1998-99 season. Look at what they did in the 1999-2000 season.

Look at what the Gophers lost last season. Look at who's stepping it up and carrying the scoring load for them this season.

Every season, teams lose talented players. That's a given in college hockey.

airmail,

I agree. Every week, I think it's going to happen (the pulling their heads out). I think it a little less this week, considering how great CC looked. But then again, I was at the CC-UND game earlier this year where it was the "men against the boys" and the Sioux were the men, really controlling the game.

PCM,

Your examples actually highlight the point that you never know how a team will come together, and considering players departed and returning isn't a very good predictor of future success. A few years ago, CC was the preseason pick, and they fell on their face. Then Denver had the big year, and returned most everyone, and the following team just never came together (I believe their season ended in REA in the WCHA playoffs). UMD (and UND) this year brought back a ton of guys, and they just haven't played to the level expected.

Then you have examples in the other direction, as you cited: teams that lost many important players, and skipped rebuilding. I would never have predicted that either the 2000 or 2001 Sioux would be anywhere near the national title game.

They've convinced themselves that they can't score.

I'm not sure if that's from practicing against their own defensemen (very formidable) or against their goaltending (again, very formidable). But in practicing against that I'm sure they've convinced themselves they can't score.

They need to realize everybody doesn't have that level defense and goaltending.

They need to stop telling themselves they can't score (because it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy).

They can score. Now go prove it.

I guess I'm back guys, haha. I think Hakstol's first year as head coach at UND cannot be considered anything but a disappointment. Losses at home against Mankato and Anchorage in the same year are just unacceptable in my point of view. I still believe he is a strong recruiter, but if we don't start winning the games we should win and some of the ones we shouldn't that pool of talent we get could've just got peed in. In a completely unrelated topic I've received many messages wondering about my whereabouts. During the world junior tournament after the US-Switzerland game, apparantly I'd had a couple more than I should have. All I remember is some fruitcake in a Suisse jersey and a cowboy hat yelling at me and my Betsy in my buddy's suite. Then apparantly outside of the arena I slipped on some ice and suffered a concussion and broke my left hip. I'm still on crutches now but I have returned to my home in Ann Arbor and a good recovery is expected to be made. I'd like to extend a sincere thank you to those who worried while i was gone.

I guess I'm  back guys, haha.  I think Hakstol's first year as head coach at UND cannot be considered anything but a disappointment. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be true if the season was over..

The Sioux have under-achieved, so far. It's hard to be optomistic, but I still like their chances to make a splash the rest of the way better than I would have liked Denver's chances last year. In order for that to happen, they will have to bring the intensity up several notches and a few guys need to play like stars.

Let me follow up on the above thought.

Last year UND scored averages of 4.44 GPG overall and 4.36 GPG in league.

Guys who left after last season accounted for 1.70 GPG overall (1.64 GPG in league).

Guys who returned accounted for 2.73 (and 2.71).

This year's freshmen are supplying 0.75 (and 0.61).

Yes, that is a step back in total offense; however, add last year's returners to this year's freshman and we have the potential for 3.48 (and 3.32).

We are actually scoring 2.96 (and 2.72).

That's more than a half a goal per game of underproduction of what we project to.

What's that mean? The returning players are not scoring at last year's pace. They are underproducing.

The returnees need to immediately step up, each and every one of them individually, and take individual personal responsibility for scoring starting right now.

Don't expect the other guy to do it for you. Look what happened when you did that against DU last March.

I guess I'm  back guys, haha.  I think Hakstol's first year as head coach at UND cannot be considered anything but a disappointment.  Losses at home against Mankato and Anchorage in the same year are just unacceptable in my point of view.  I still believe he is a strong recruiter, but if we don't start winning the games we should win and some of the ones we shouldn't that pool of talent we get could've just got peed in.  In a completely unrelated topic I've received many messages wondering about my whereabouts.  During the world junior tournament after the US-Switzerland game, apparantly I'd had a couple more than I should have.  All I remember is some fruitcake in a Suisse jersey and a cowboy hat yelling at me and my Betsy in my buddy's suite.  Then apparantly outside of the arena I slipped on some ice and suffered a concussion and broke my left hip.  I'm still on crutches now but I have returned to my home in Ann Arbor and a good recovery is expected to be made.  I'd like to extend a sincere thank you to those who worried while i was gone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was sitting behind that guy in a Suisse jersey. He kept doin some wierd hand motions. It made for some funny camera phone pics. We ended up showin them to him

The Sioux lost Parise, Minnesota lost Vanek.  The Sioux lost Bochenski, Minnesota lost Ballard.  The Sioux lost Lunbohm, Minnesota lost Riddle, Koalska, Potulny.  If anyone should be underachieving, it should be Minnesota.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. In both programs you have younger guys who are playing 1-2 years ahead of where they should be, and, especially at UND, you have seniors who are playing like fourth line freshmen. Frankly, I'd rather play the grinders and role players like Prpich, McMahon, Porter, etc., than the draft picks and "stars" who seem to take shifts off every night. Guys who are in leadership roles are not doing their jobs, and sure as hell aren't producing either.

I'm curious....did MN have a coaching change over the summer?

Right. Didn't think so. Now, let's look at the guys who we generally think are performing to or exceeding expectations. Seems like the prevailing attitude is we're pretty happy with our freshmen. They are Hak's first class where he's the head coach.

Most of our angst seems focused on the upper classmen, guys that were used to Blais as the coach.

Hypothetically speaking, what if these upper classmen aren't responding to Hak the way they did with Blais? Of course, that would be overlooking the past few years where the "lack of intensity", "we didn't get the bounces", "we ran into a hot goaltender" was used too often IMO.

Certainly, in this hypothetical situation, Hak can be held to some account that he's not getting some comfortable players ready to play each night. Can't argue that.

But if his freshmen are responding to him in this manner, what happens if next year's class responds as well as this year? How much credit should Hak get then?

I don't know what the issues are. I don't know if it's coaching, or talent, or what. I'm willing to see how this plays out in the long run. I'm not any more happy with the way things are going right now than anyone else. But I'm not yet ready to lay sole blame on Hak, either.

I'm curious....did MN have a coaching change over the summer?

Right.  Didn't think so.  Now, let's look at the guys who we generally think are performing to or exceeding expectations.  Seems like the prevailing attitude is we're pretty happy with our freshmen.  They are Hak's first class where he's the head coach.

Most of our angst seems focused on the upper classmen, guys that were used to Blais as the coach.

Hypothetically speaking, what if these upper classmen aren't responding to Hak the way they did with Blais?  Of course, that would be overlooking the past few years where the "lack of intensity", "we didn't get the bounces", "we ran into a hot goaltender" was used  too often IMO.

Certainly, in this hypothetical situation, Hak can be held to some account that he's not getting some comfortable players ready to play each night.  Can't argue that.

But if his freshmen are responding to him in this manner, what happens if next year's class responds as well as this year?  How much credit should Hak get then?

I don't know what the issues are.  I don't know if it's coaching, or talent, or what.  I'm willing to see how this plays out in the long run.  I'm not any more happy with the way things are going right now than anyone else.  But I'm not yet ready to lay sole blame on Hak, either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great post. I agree with those comments 100%. If we are sitting at the bottom of the WCHA in three years then a negative report card is certainly validated. However - I just don't see that happening.

I figured this board would go nuts after this weekend. I sure am glad some of you guys aren't the GM of Sioux hockey. We'd have coaching changes every week. One week ago, they were burning Mike Tice in effigy in Minneapolis. After beating the Packers on Sunday, the Catholic bishop is thinking of nominating him for sainthood. Fans are fickle! Dave Hakstol has spent 1/2 a season in Grand Forks and people are already calling for his head. I think too many of you posters pay too much attention to pre-season polls. It's obvious that the losses of Bochenski and Parise affected the team more than we thought it would. It happens. Just like teams come from out of nowhere to do well or better than expected, some teams falter under the weight of expectations. Ask UMD fans how they feel about their own season this year. Give Hakstol a chance, folks. It's been 1/2 a season.

Don't get me wrong, the jury is still out, and will be for a while concerning coach Hakstol. I am just saying that we have more tools left at our disposal than Minnesota. No, Minnesota didn't have a coaching change, but then again, Hakstol has been around to see how things worked under Blais for quite a while. I don't see a huge learning curve here. Why mess with 5 WCHA titles in 8 years. Maybe its a matter of the players not responding to Hakstol's threats like they did to Dean's. Responding to him differently as head coach is possible, but he needs to make it a non-factor. Whatever, I am not one to believe things can't and won't be turned around. In fact, if they can win at least one this weekend, things could turn in our favor. I fully expect to win at home from here on out against Denver and Wisconsin and sweeping Anchorage and/or St. Cloud on the road is certainly possible.

I figured this board would go nuts after this weekend.  I sure am glad some of you guys aren't the GM of Sioux hockey.  We'd have coaching changes every week.  One week ago, they were burning Mike Tice in effigy in Minneapolis.  After beating the Packers on Sunday, the Catholic bishop is thinking of nominating him for sainthood.  Fans are fickle!  Dave Hakstol has spent 1/2 a season in Grand Forks and people are already calling for his head.  I think too many of you posters pay too much attention to pre-season polls.  It's obvious that the losses of Bochenski and Parise affected the team more than we thought it would.  It happens.  Just like teams come from out of nowhere to do well or better than expected, some teams falter under the weight of expectations.  Ask UMD fans how they feel about their own season this year.  Give Hakstol a chance, folks.  It's been 1/2 a season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mafia - You and Dagies - I share your position and optimism. Good to see feedback on an even keel.

Considering a coaching change of any kind I think the Sioux are doing fine. Hak is doing as well as can be expected. Gino may have done much better in his first year being just one goal away from beating the goofs, but his team even finished with only 42 points. There is still 20 points left for the Sioux to grab and I've been saying all along (maybe not to this board) that we have one of the best chances in the last few years of going into April. The dissapointments will fuel the fire.

8 seniors thinking "ah whatever' in our last games down the stretch. Nope.

Growing pains that's all. Hak gets a B-/C+

Premiere program or not, the most points any team in the WCHA has recieved in a single season is 48. Not one team is coming even close to that mark this year, period. I'd say they'll finish in the real low forties, tops.

That being said, the Sioux'll finish fine. Even if we only take 10 of the last avail. 20 points, I'd take some big upsets and consistent winning from the lower third for us not to have home ice in March.

Don't know if this supports your claim, but it is interesting. ???

The three seasons Hakstol played for UND, the Sioux played 127 (69-51-7) games, of which Hakstol played in 107. Not sure what 20 games he sat out but one could assume most of them were during his freshmen season (UNDs best during Hakstols tenure 28-13-4 and the only year they qualified for the NCAAs) :huh:

The worst and only losing season was his final season 17-21-1 (Oh and he was the captain.) :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If memory serves me correctly, Hakstol only played half of his senior year due to having used up his eligibility for some reason. Even so, I have something to add to your Hakstol record at UND of 69-51-7. His record during his three years playing at Indy Ice of IHL were 28-46, 34-39, and 28-46. During his two years playing with the Moose of the IHL his record was 34-35 and 30-45. Add this to his coaching record at Sioux City of 101-109-13 and you do not have an impressive record. Overall, since first playing for the Sioux, Hak is 324-371-20 overall. I realize that this could fluctuate "slightly" one way or another but for the most part is accurate. I also left out his assistant coaching record because I think the Asst coaches impact on a game as minimal. Head coaches and players have the direct impact. Maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that this season is tanking.

I thought I would throw my two cents in at this point. I can agree with both sides to some degree here. I have been disappointed by the season so far, but I have the team set at pretty high standards, I think we all do. As for Hakstol, well its got to be tough. Assistant head coaches are typically the "good cop" in the good cop/bad cop routine. Blais was known for his paint peeling rants and for criticizing players. Hakstol was more than likely the guy who made peace afterward. Now reverse the situation, most of the upper classmen might have a hard time being afraid of someone who they used to see as the push over. This might explain the lack of motivation. If Hakstol has a hard time getting the upper classmen to respond the way he wants, that would trickle down into the rest of the team. I also think GF is quite the picky town. Hakstol is always under the microscope, having every decision criticized, and since Blais was so well liked, he might feel pressured to do some of the same things he did. I think in a few years, we will see what kind of coach Hakstol is. In fact a losing season might be good, it is a test to see what everyone is made of.

I say, lets just enjoy hockey for the great sport it is for the rest of the season and see what becomes of it.

Blais was known for his paint peeling rants and for criticizing players. Hakstol was more than likely the guy who made peace afterward. Now reverse the situation, most of the upper classmen might have a hard time being afraid of someone who they used to see as the push over. This might explain the lack of motivation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

McMahon made a comment earlier this season that those who think Hakstol isn't intense and capable of causing fear in his players, don't know Hakstol at all.

I could dig further but PCM or the Sicatoka have this data in their back pockets. 

Hakstol's records.

That 1996-97 "midseason replacement" was after one game of that season. Apparently it only took management one game to figure out that the previous coach needed to be fired (and Hak got left holding that bag).