SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstols report card

SIOUXELEVENS

It there problems with the coaching?After every loss and some wins Coach Hakstol mentions lack of intensity,being flat and poor overall play.isn't the coach responsible for some of this as far as getting the team ready etc.Earlier in the year there was an interview with Fabian about how things are more structured in practice and there systems than Blais had. Maybe Hakstol need to release the hounds or maybe he is a great asst. but not a great head coach?I know people will rip this post because i had the same post 2 months ago but what has changed,still poor play,lack of a good forecheck and poor defensive play which was supposed to be are strength. I think like Goon said in another post that maybe UND rushed to judgement and hired the wrong guy. If you think the crowds are dead now wait around for a few more games like mankatos

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this, the team is not getting up for the games. They have no intensity... no fire. Whoever's job it is to instill that ferocity, they are failing. Whether it's Hakstol, the seniors, the captians, or the guy sharpening skates... that is the biggest problem.

As far as Hakstol himself is concerned... I just don't know. I don't watch the practices, and I'm not a team member... so far be it from me to chime in on his right and wrongs. That said, I'm tired of the post game cliches, "you have to give them a lot of credit, they worked hard" and blah blah blah. BUll$hit. Tell it like it is, acknowledge that your team's intensity sucks. Maybe that will light a fire under some of the heavy asses out on the ice. Maybe if the coach gets a little fire in his eyes, the team will follow. Not blaming the coaching, but I just don't know what it will take for this group of players to play with some emotion. It's very frustrating to see, especially when you know what these players are capable of.

As far as the old REA, you can wish in one hand and crap in another........

As far as the old REA, you can wish in one hand and crap in another........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you could probably fill the old REA with more intense people trying to fill that wish by crapping in their hand than you could get intense people cheering on a hockey team in the new REA. :silly:

That said, I'm tired of the post game cliches, "you have to give them a lot of credit, they worked hard" and blah blah blah. 

Amen.

Imagine what Blaiser would have said about Mankato's third goal on Saturday. He'd have called it out by name and play.

The cliche that gets me is "we're getting chances". So what. Get goals.

FWIW, I heard that during an intermission during the Canisius series Hakstol blistered the paint off the walls on this very topic. -- paraphrased: I don't care about all that other stuff, I want the puck in the net.

I don't know what the problem is either, but I wouldn't assume that because Hakstol is measured with the media that he is also that way privately.

Oh no, criticizing the coaches? :silly:

For some reason (probably because of it being Hak's first year), the coaching staff is not receiving the criticism they probably are due. After losses at home to UAA and Mankato in the span of a month, someone other than the players need to start answering some tough questions and quit spitting out the same garbage during post-game interviews. I have no problem ripping the players for lack of effort or breakdowns or whatever, but they are not in this alone.

Amen.

Imagine what Blaiser would have said about Mankato's third goal on Saturday. He'd have called it out by name and play.

This is what I like about the quote McMahon had last fall in the paper. He basically said who cares if you have chances, you have to put the puck in the net.

You have to get the job done, not just do it well enough to get done.

FWIW, I heard that during an intermission during the Canisius series Hakstol blistered the paint off the walls on this very topic. -- paraphrased: I don't care about all that other stuff, I want the puck in the net.

I don't know what the problem is either, but I wouldn't assume that because Hakstol is measured with the media that he is also that way privately.

I remember that too.

To the best of my knowledge, Hakstol hasn't sat too many starters this season. Maybe if he started benching some starters, especially those who should be playing above a frosh level, he'd send a message that "every job is temporary". I don't care if he has to roll two lines and play thee d-men, something has to get these guys motivated, as it doesn't seem like the captains are doing their jobs. ???:glare:

Time to face some facts:

This team has underachieved all year. This team has not scored enough goals. This team does not "finish". I if I have to hear that we "ran into a "hot" goalie this weekend" one more time I might barf! Any goalie can stop shots fired at his chest. Lack of overall production as a team is the reason why they have not produced this year. College athletes shouldn't care if there is 1 fan there or 11,500 so stop dreaming of playing games at the old place, it isn't going to happen.

Now, I do believe that this team does have all the elements of putting on a good run in the last part of season, but they didn't show it last weekend. I do think that they will finish in the top 5 and host in the 1st round. I am anxiously awaiting this weekend to see which team shows up.

Props to everyone's comments so far.

Here are a few things I am sick and tired of hearing from the team, the media and some of our fans as well:

1) "You have to give (the team that just kicked our butts) a lot of credit. They worked hard, they buried the puck, blah, blah, blah!!!" If Hakstol gives any more credit to other teams, he's going to have to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. I have no problem recognizing the talent other teams have and respecting other programs. But if you respect them too much, it can put up psychological barriers to playing well. Not to mention providing a convenient excuse when you play like crap and lose.

2) "We ran into a hot goaltender" I believe this started with the 1996 WCHA First Round Playoff Loss to the Badgers (back to back overtime games) and it's still going on. Yes, a goaltender can and occasionally does carry a team to a win or a championship that they otherwise wouldn't have been able to achieve. But you can't bring this up after every single loss. ??? It doesn't seem to happen to any other teams except us, which leads me to believe that it has become a sorry excuse for bad offensive execution and poor shot selection. I also think it becomes a sort of self-fulfulling prophecy for our players. By making a goaltender unbeatable, you psych yourselves out and that leads to forcing shots and passing when you should just shoot the stupid thing. Unfortunately, the media has picked this up and continues to repeat it over and over again. During the World Junior Tournament, the U.S. lost to the Czech Republic 3-1 in the prelim round. The U.S. forwards kept blotching odd-man rushes and shooting the puck over the net, but all I heard the next day was how "hot" and "unbeatable" the Czech goaltender was. Lucky is more like it. If I ever hear this again this season, I think I'm going to throw up.

3) Tim Hennessey on the Fighting Sioux Hockey Network during the St. Cloud series at The Ralph (paraphrasing): This team and the fans in this building need to understand that if this team wants to win, they're going to have to win ugly. In other words, the team lacks offensive talent and needs to keep scores down to give it at least some chance to win. Let's see; Stafford, Porter, Zajac, Spirko, Murray....yeah, those are marginal forwards at best. Maybe Tim has a point. :glare: While I have stated in the past that the upperclassmen forwards are nothing special and that our best forwards are freshmen and sophomores, I don't think they are so devoid of offensive talent that they have to start playing like Michigan Tech or Anchorage. There is a lot of underachieving on this team right now and that shouldn't be overlooked by the media (and especially the coaching staff).

While I think Hakstol deserves a few years to prove he has what it takes to lead a big-time program like ours, some of the things I've heard this season are not encouraging. I think we can make a run in the playoffs, but I think the coaching staff needs to plant some boots in some rear ends. Hakstol needs to figure out he's not an assistant anymore. He needs to set the tone for this team and program, or we won't win #8 anytime soon.

I am sick and tired of people making excuses for JPar. I don't hear any for Phil or Brandt. Oh wait, that is because they don't lose games that the should not. Phil has two losses to Wisconsin that even Karl could not have won. Look at the loss column and tell me that it is just chance that we lose when JPar plays. Also look at how he tried to tackle a player at least twice during Saturday's game. Since when did UND have cheap goalies?

Dave Hakstol is the college hockey version of Mike Tice. Given way too much responsiblity much too quickly.

I say fill the team with guys like Prpich. I would be willing to accept the increase in penalties to get a team full of guys that give it their all.

Is it just me or is James Masses the softest playing 220 lb forward in the game of hockey. A guy that big otta be crunching people left and right, but for some reason he is always avoiding contact.

I'm not being a Parise apologist by recognizing his solid play. He is having a very solid season in the nets and deserves better than the potshots he's taking. He hasn't been perfect but he has made some big saves this year and stolen some points practically by himself.

The Hakstol stuff is way too early also. Mike Tice? Pulease.

There are some similarities between Tice and Hakstol. They both win about half of the games that they should win. They both occasionally win big games. Neither one will ever criticize a player even if it is deserved. Both keep sticking with players that obviously don't produce (Tice=Larry Ned, Steve Martin, Brian Russell, Aaron Elling, Hakstol= Canady, Massen, Smaby, Fylling). Both have underperforming defenses. Neither won a ton of games as a player, in fact, I do not believe that either one ever won a title.

I am sick and tired of people making excuses for JPar.  I don't hear any for Phil or Brandt.  Oh wait, that is because they don't lose games that the should not.  Phil has two losses to Wisconsin that even Karl could not have won.  Look at the loss column and tell me that it is just chance that we lose when JPar plays.  Also look at how he tried to tackle a player at least twice during Saturday's game.  Since when did UND have cheap goalies?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there you go again fedorov. get your head out of lammy's a$$ for once.

All of us Sioux fans are really spoiled. Unless we have a NC contender EVERY single year - people bitch! GEEZ...chill out!! We lost two top returners and our head coach. The new coach comes in and, with the loss of veteran talent, the team is only average this year :glare: - cut 'em a break!

Remember Blais' first year coming in with only "average" talent? His goal was just to break .500 and maybe get home ice for the playoffs. Dean was a great coach but realistically - he should have had at least 4 NC's with the talent he had during his tenure. His "great" teams fell flat (The Jason Blake Years) and he actually won his 2 titles with overachieving guys who managed to pull together as a team and do more than anyone expected of them.

Back off Hak and give him a chance! I don't think Sandelin would have done any better and frankly - with his overall performance at Duluth since he's been there (one good season doesn't make a great coach) PLUS his frankly crappy job with the US World Jr. Team makes Hak look better all the time.

Neither won a ton of games as a player, in fact, I do not believe that either one ever won a title.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know if this supports your claim, but it is interesting. ???

The three seasons Hakstol played for UND, the Sioux played 127 (69-51-7) games, of which Hakstol played in 107. Not sure what 20 games he sat out but one could assume most of them were during his freshmen season (UNDs best during Hakstols tenure 28-13-4 and the only year they qualified for the NCAAs) :huh:

The worst and only losing season was his final season 17-21-1 (Oh and he was the captain.) :glare:

there you go again fedorov. get your head out of lammy's a$$ for once.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You show your ignorance with that comment. Any contributing member to this forum knows that I am pushing for Brandt. You are really an annoying person if you can only respond to my posts. Congratulations on being the first non-Gopher fan to be ignored by me. :glare:

All of us Sioux fans are really spoiled.  Unless we have a NC contender EVERY single year - people bitch!  GEEZ...chill out!!  We lost two top returners and our head coach.  The new coach comes in and, with the loss of veteran talent, the team is only average this year ???  - cut 'em a break! 

Remember Blais' first year coming in with only "average" talent? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's all this "average" talk? Loss of veteren talent? Two players are going to nuke the whole team? Take a good hard look at our roster, and tell me the players are average. They are anything but that. They are some of the most highly recruited and talented hockey players in NCAA hockey. For this team to be average is for this team to underachieve. Yes, I'm spoiled... and yes I'm bitching. It's because we DO have a national contender this year, only their lack of hunger is keeping them from grabbing it. Average my ass. :glare:

BTW:

Yes, Blais had a bare cupboard. Hakstol got the keys to the frickin' restaurant. The two situations can't begin to be compared on a level field.