SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

14 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Has Mayotte done a better job with what he has compared to Berry doing what he's done with our talent? Then yes, Mayotte wins. And I'm still saying Berry has done a really good job and I still want him as our coach. But Mayotte is easily the NCHC coach of the year. I know you can't really admit that on a public forum but Mayotte has done an incredible job this season in the conference from a coaching standpoint with Berry being number 2. 

Yeah, he's earned it

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

To the people saying that the tape is out on UND.  Are you sure the teams UND will be playing down the stretch have the type of players(See Mberko) or dedication to this style of play? I don't see BU or Michigan dropping into a 1-4 trap no matter how successful it was in a couple series. CC was impressively efficient at it and they seem to have the full team buy in that it's what they will be doing exclusively.  Pair that with a ridiculously good goalie and you have a scary team to play in the postseason.  I'm telling myself this is just a bad matchup for UND, hopefully this coming weekend proves that out.

Alaska tried to do it to us, so did Miami. I definitely believe CC is a good team. I'm also not going to be afraid of CC is we have to play them again. Would I prefer to play them again, no, but I'm not afraid to play them. For 40 minutes on Saturday, this team played very well, but did not bury the puck. We've shown the ability to do so all season. CC is committed to their style of speed and structure, but UND did get to good areas for most of Saturday. Just didn't finish.

• Upvote 1

Little update on Pehrson injury...no timeline though:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/unds-home-and-road-splits-evident-on-defensive-end

Late in the first period, UND defenseman Keaton Pehrson and Colorado College forward Noah Laba raced the length of the ice for a loose puck.

Pehrson got inside position on Laba as the two reached the end wall. Laba pushed Pehrson from behind into the boards, leaving the Fighting Hawks senior crumpled on the ice for a few minutes.

Referees Stephen Reneau and Sterling Egan called a five-minute major for boarding, but did not give Laba a game misconduct.

Pehrson attempted to play a couple of shifts early in the second period, but couldn't manage the injury and missed the last 30 minutes of the game.

There was no immediate update on Pehrson's status after the game.

3 hours ago, Goon said:

I’ll drop this here. Head coach Brad Berry on the noise. 

So you heard it from Barry himself they came here to win national championships how can you win a national championship if you’ve only won one game since 2016 in the national playoffs 200 wins means nothing without winning national championships for all you guys who love the 200 Winmark

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

So you heard it from Barry himself they came here to win national championships how can you win a national championship if you’ve only won one game since 2016 in the national playoffs

Yeah Berry!  You told him, man.
Straight truth.

• Upvote 1

Listen we can agree to disagree

I want nattys

you guys want just wins in regular season

nsttys are remmebered

banners

reunion trams

no one gunna remember us sweeping Denver but schlossman next year in the gamer 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Can’t handle the truth?

Are you Tom Cruise in this A Few Good Men quote or Jack Nicholson?

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Listen we can agree to disagree

I want nattys

you guys want just wins in regular season

nsttys are remmebered

banners

reunion trams

no one gunna remember us sweeping Denver but schlossman next year in the gamer 

I'm not sure what we are agreeing to disagree about.

I want Natty's too.  In fact, I bet if we took a poll on this site, 100% of UND fans would agree that we want Natty's. 

Is it incorrect to want both regular season wins and national titles?  Is that so bad?  In fact, I would say that if you don't get enough regular season wins, you won't get the opportunity to go for a national title.

Nsttys are for sure remmebered.  Preach brother!

Banners.  Yep.  All of them!

Trams to the reunions?  Like the Simpson's episodes about Monorail's?

Schloss does remember a lot, for sure.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Are you Tom Cruise in this A Few Good Men quote or Jack Nicholson?

I'm not sure what we are agreeing to disagree about.

I want Natty's too.  In fact, I bet if we took a poll on this site, 100% of UND fans would agree that we want Natty's. 

Is it incorrect to want both regular season wins and national titles?  Is that so bad?  In fact, I would say that if you don't get enough regular season wins, you won't get the opportunity to go for a national title.

Nsttys are for sure remmebered.  Preach brother!

Banners.  Yep.  All of them!

Trams to the reunions?  Like the Simpson's episodes about Monorail's?

Schloss does remember a lot, for sure.

I think we're agreeing. That's the first time we've had a reference like that on the messageboard, or at least in recent memory. I thought it was great. 

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t want UND to win an NCAA title and NCHC regular seasons and or playoff titles. However, some have this mentality that we should/have to burn it all to the ground because UND has won one NCAA game since 2016. I have a feeling some will call for Berry’s head if UND doesn’t get to the Frozen Four this April. We actually had fans call the AD after last season and demand UND fire Berry. Obviously, those calls fell on deaf ears. It’s as if some in the UND fanbase think we’re entitled to an NCAA title. It’s hard to win a title. I also think it requires a bit of luck. It’s not like UND sucks this year. Why don’t we enjoy the season? Have some fun. 

• Upvote 1

Ya know, the 16 year drought was absolutely brutal! Good, Bad & Ugly stuff, so after 8 years, piece of cake…. Ledgies have existed long before now! Since Tampa have felt it’s no way gonna take us another 16. Just sayin’

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Goon said:

I think we're agreeing. That's the first time we've had a reference like that on the messageboard, or at least in recent memory. I thought it was great. 

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t want UND to win an NCAA title and NCHC regular seasons and or playoff titles. However, some have this mentality that we should/have to burn it all to the ground because UND has won one NCAA game since 2016. I have a feeling some will call for Berry’s head if UND doesn’t get to the Frozen Four this April. We actually had fans call the AD after last season and demand UND fire Berry. Obviously, those calls fell on deaf ears. It’s as if some in the UND fanbase think we’re entitled to an NCAA title. It’s hard to win a title. I also think it requires a bit of luck. It’s not like UND sucks this year. Why don’t we enjoy the season? Have some fun. 

I think the fact that both Duluth and Denver have won two nattys each since we won #8 is what bothers people. We are falling behind in the all-time NCAA title race. With the talent we have had over the past 20 years, we should have passed Michigan in total nattys by now. That has real world consequences for our program. The very notion of North Dakota devolving into a forgotten, also-ran program like both Northern Michigan and Lake Superior State have is nauseating to someone who has been following this team since I was 6 years old. Whatever changes come to the sport of college hockey, our program must adapt.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

We are falling behind in the all-time NCAA title race. 

We’ve always been behind. We’ve just been slowly battling our way back into that race for the last 75 years. ;)
I’m not worried about UND turning into NMU or LSSU. Maybe if the Ralph burned down and instead of rebuilding it, they just rebuilt The Old Barn instead. :D

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, RedFrog said:

The parity in college hockey has and continues to increase making it significantly more difficult to make that final 4 game run.

"Parity" didn't stop two fellow NCHC schools from winning two NCAA titles each since 2016. But nobody wants to talk about that around here. I wonder why?

The Michigan teams you mentioned were freshman heavy and no matter how talented they are, freshmen are still freshmen and sometimes struggle in the crucible of the playoffs.

Finally, no one is saying hanging banners is easy. All I have ever said is that NCAA titles are what people remember and are what distinguish great programs from merely good ones.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

"Parity" didn't stop two fellow NCHC schools from winning two NCAA titles each since 2016. But nobody wants to talk about that around here. I wonder why?

The Michigan teams you mentioned were freshman heavy and no matter how talented they are, freshmen are still freshmen and sometimes struggle in the crucible of the playoffs.

Finally, no one is saying hanging banners is easy. All I have ever said is that NCAA titles are what people remember and are what distinguish great programs from merely good ones.

Cuz they can’t handle the facts! 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think the fact that both Duluth and Denver have won two nattys each since we won #8 is what bothers people. We are falling behind in the all-time NCAA title race. With the talent we have had over the past 20 years, we should have passed Michigan in total nattys by now. That has real world consequences for our program. The very notion of North Dakota devolving into a forgotten, also-ran program like both Northern Michigan and Lake Superior State have is nauseating to someone who has been following this team since I was 6 years old. Whatever changes come to the sport of college hockey, our program must adapt.

#dramaqueen

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It’s been talked about a lot on here and other message boards. But we can certainly rehash all those talking points all day if you like. 
UND has one title in the last 8 years. DU and UMD have two each. 
What prevented DU and UMD from having 3-4 titles each during that timeframe? They certainly had teams talented enough to do so, just like UND. What prevented other blue blood schools (like UMN, UM, UW, BC, and BU) from getting more titles (or any titles) during that timeframe? Many of those teams were stacked during the past 8 years, yet no titles?

• Upvote 3