SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

3 hours ago, tnt said:

But I don't think offense was going to be the issue.   I don't know that the last few weeks are going to make a huge impact as far as solving any defensive deficiencies they want to work on.  I imagine if he goes back, he has the chance to be part of the leadership of the team, and that could help him down the road as well. 

He’s already an assistant captain on the team. He is in the leadership group. Being a captain wouldn’t hurt though I suppose.

I'm bored, so here's my line chart for game 1 this season :):

Blake - Berg - Gaber
James - Schmaltz - Perron
Kunz - McLaughlin (I'd be cool with flipping 2C and 3C) - Strinden
Johannes - Jammer - Emerson

Pyke - Pehrson
Wiebe - Zmolek
Benoit - Livanvage
Komzak

Persson
Hedquist

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Blake - Berg - Gaber

Pyke - Pehrson
Wiebe - Zmolek
Benoit - Livanvage
Komzak

Persson
Hedquist

Looks perfect, lets lock this one in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Blake - Berg - Gaber

Pyke - Pehrson
Wiebe - Zmolek
Benoit - Livanvage
Komzak

Persson
Hedquist

Definitely switching McLaughlin and Schmaltz. I think Schmaltz is the ideal 3rd line center on a good/great team. He's really had to play out of position (maybe not the correct word as he stilled played center) due to lack of top line centers the last couple years. 

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Blake - Berg - Gaber

Pyke - Pehrson
Wiebe - Zmolek
Benoit - Livanvage
Komzak

Persson
Hedquist

Have you let Berry know yet? :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

Definitely switching McLaughlin and Schmaltz. I think Schmaltz is the ideal 3rd line center on a good/great team. He's really had to play out of position (maybe not the correct word as he stilled played center) due to lack of top line centers the last couple years. 

Nothing wrong with trying to get Schmaltz sparked, though. We've all seen the potential. No problem making the flip, but I would love to see an upperclassman in that group.

• Upvote 1

Blake - Berg - Gaber

Pyke - Pehrson
Wiebe - Zmolek
Benoit - Livanvage
Komzak

Persson
Hedquist

Boy…that dcore. First half should be interesting 

Pyke - Pehrson
Wiebe - Zmolek

So close ... 

To start the season you run Pyke and Zmolek and the Pehrson and Wiebe.
It keeps L/R shots together but it puts the best defender with the freshman to begin with. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So close ... 

To start the season you run Pyke and Zmolek and the Pehrson and Wiebe.
It keeps L/R shots together but it puts the best defender with the freshman to begin with. 

I don't disagree, but having Pyke Pehrson will assure our best two defensemen get the most ice. I want those two in nearly all situations to start the season.

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Boy…that dcore. First half should be interesting 

Three with solid history, two with great history. Then, three freshmen with potential. I like the mix, but the mesh needs to start NOW. Not in October. Now.

13 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Three with solid history, two with great history. Then, three freshmen with potential. I like the mix, but the mesh needs to start NOW. Not in October. Now.

Right I don’t mind it after the fall out from last year. But…def some question marks. Zmolek is a wcha recruit coming off a fairly significant surgery. Hasn’t played in a long time. Just saying, it’s not even what we had last year…not really even that close. I like Livanavage and Wiebe long term though. Hopefully this core gels early.

24 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Right I don’t mind it after the fall out from last year. But…def some question marks. Zmolek is a wcha recruit coming off a fairly significant surgery. Hasn’t played in a long time. Just saying, it’s not even what we had last year…not really even that close. I like Livanavage and Wiebe long term though. Hopefully this core gels early.

Yep. Need the gel and need it FAST. I asked around about Zmolek and apparently all returns are saying he looks great and is ready to roll. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't disagree, but having Pyke Pehrson will assure our best two defensemen get the most ice. I want those two in nearly all situations to start the season.

Best case as a pair they run 24-27 minutes. Let's call it 25.

25 minutes with both, or 50 minutes with one or the other out there. I chose the "50" scenario; YMMV. 

[Rant]

Would you look at that.  You have an NCAA tournament game being hosted by the higher seeded team at their home field.

Next week too when you have softball starting.... 

Nobody tell the hockey people or heads will SPLODE!!!!!

[/rant]

• Upvote 4

On 5/11/2023 at 9:53 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

Blake - Berg - Gaber

Pyke - Pehrson
Wiebe - Zmolek
Benoit - Livanvage
Komzak

Persson
Hedquist

I like this lineup…id agree with the flipping you mentioned. Schmaltz and Kunz had a good year in GB together. That second line with OM would be really really skilled. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I like this lineup…id agree with the flipping you mentioned. Schmaltz and Kunz had a good year in GB together. That second line with OM would be really really skilled. 

…and OM played with James as well in Juniors.

10 hours ago, tnt said:

…and OM played with James as well in Juniors.

Very true. I guess I think OM is a much more skilled player than schmaltz, I’d like to see what him and Perron can do. Expecting James to make a big jump this year, he’d be a great fit with those two.

The "C" would've been Frisch had he stayed. :( 

My guess from most to least likely is Gaber, LouieJam, Schmaltz. 

Pehrson and Pyke have to prove a ton (build relationships and trust) over a summer and fall camp to garner consideration even through they come in with solid history. 

Remember: Connor Ford came in as a former BGSU captain and didn't get a letter until circumstance nearly forced it during second half. 

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The "C" would've been Frisch had he stayed. :( 

My guess from most to least likely is Gaber, LouieJam, Schmaltz. 

Pehrson and Pyke have to prove a ton (build relationships and trust) over a summer and fall camp to garner consideration even through they come in with solid history. 

Remember: Connor Ford came in as a former BGSU captain and didn't get a letter until circumstance nearly forced it during second half. 

Gaber is an interesting one.   There were times during the first half of last year when it appeared he was not entirely in synch with the rest of the forward group.   But I have little to nothing to base that on other than views from afar.   He's definitely a passionate player who is willing to work hard on the ice (and probably off it).