SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

“I really enjoyed my time here in North Dakota. It was a great group of guys here,” Luke Bast said. “I really did enjoy my time here, but at the same time, for me, going into my sophomore year, I was expecting to hopefully get a little bit more opportunity and that wasn't the case. And that's fine, that's all part of the business and I get it.”

I think a lot of that had to do with his injury.  An injury that was even stated earlier in the article, that it lingered for the whole season.

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

I think a lot of that had to do with his injury.  An injury that was even stated earlier in the article, that it lingered for the whole season.

Agreed. And in Luke’s mind, he expected more ice time but it was taken up by transfers.  

12 hours ago, dustnyou said:

Agreed. And in Luke’s mind, he expected more ice time but it was taken up by transfers.  

Him starting the year injured was unfortunate but even so he was starting the year as our 4th Left handed D in the pecking order as Sidorski was brought in to be our 8th defenseman and Farmer was going to be our #2 or 3 right handed D man.

If Bast had been healthy he could have supplanted Cooper Moore who held the job by default early in the year because Bast was inured. 

I was far more comfortable with Bast being in the lineup over Moore at the end of the season but maybe his injuries were holding him back a bit.

The ones that stuck out to me, didn't realize Matt Wellens didn't quote Bast in the 1st one(wonder why):

Bast said he respects that UMD took him out of the transfer portal to fill a void on the roster this season, not to push out any other current players or recruits. He also respect how protective the staff is of the program’s culture.

“Everyone talks about culture, like literally every program,” Bast said. “There’s some programs that actually walk the walk and other programs that talk the talk. What I’ve heard from Duluth is they walk the walk when it comes to culture. That was very appealing to me.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The ones that stuck out to me, didn't realize Matt Wellens didn't quote Bast in the 1st one(wonder why):

Bast said he respects that UMD took him out of the transfer portal to fill a void on the roster this season, not to push out any other current players or recruits. He also respect how protective the staff is of the program’s culture.

“Everyone talks about culture, like literally every program,” Bast said. “There’s some programs that actually walk the walk and other programs that talk the talk. What I’ve heard from Duluth is they walk the walk when it comes to culture. That was very appealing to me.”

I think you're being oversensitive.

And I'm really confused about all the shots the writer apparently took.

On 5/4/2023 at 8:22 PM, dustnyou said:

Or said transfers were playing better than you? With the players that UND has coming in, would he have played that much this year, either? 

22 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

There are certain writers that like to post inflammatory stuff in their articles to get clicks or stir debate. Especially, if they don't get as many views as they would like. I am not saying Wellins is doing this. I am not upset with his quote, it's how he feels, good luck to him. Whatever. UND has a passionate fanbase and the fanbase drives clicks. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

I don’t know why anyone would want to read between the lines of a quote by a 20 year old trying to justify their decision to leave a program with the history of a North Dakota. He’s a kid. He wants to play. Let him be.

Fans tend to forget or ignore that, sometimes with the excuse that these are elite level players, many of whom will make a lot of money in just a few years.   But they are entitled to many of the same lapses in judgment we were guilty of at that age.  And it is just a game, though fans often make it into something more because they need it to be in their sorryazz, burdlike lives.  

• Upvote 2

On 5/4/2023 at 3:46 PM, brianvf said:

Very sorry to see him leave.  He was an asset.

1 hour ago, Esoteric said:

Very sorry to see him leave.  He was an asset.

I certainly think he could have played a bigger part of this team next season if he would have stuck around.
That said, I really do like how the defensive unit has shaped up after starting from zero at the end of the season.  Our top 4 will be very good, and if a few of the freshmen can get up to NCHC speed relatively quickly, they'll be an excellent group by years end.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

I don’t know why anyone would want to read between the lines of a quote by a 20 year old trying to justify their decision to leave a program with the history of a North Dakota. He’s a kid. He wants to play. Let him be.

It’s not that deep buddy, I’m not worried about the “history of North Dakota”. I’m wondering what Luke’s experience was actually like at UND. Also, it’s the off-season.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

It’s not that deep buddy, I’m not worried about the “history of North Dakota”. I’m wondering what Luke’s experience was actually like at UND. Also, it’s the off-season.

Read my post again, s.l.o.w.l.y. It’s about the kid and his state of mind and actions. Says nothing about anything else. The additional words are supportive of the argument ‘buddy’…

21 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

“I really enjoyed my time here in North Dakota. It was a great group of guys here,” Luke Bast said. “I really did enjoy my time here, but at the same time, for me, going into my sophomore year, I was expecting to hopefully get a little bit more opportunity and that wasn't the case. And that's fine, that's all part of the business and I get it.”

On 5/6/2023 at 7:11 AM, SIOUXELEVENS said:

We can only hope. 

I know right. I’ve heard he’s locked into BSU though. Tough because a kid like that should be playing with a bigger program with more exposure. He’s good.