SiouxSports.com Forum

ForumComm Paywall

The Sicatoka

First, I know a business needs to make money to stay in business. I know that as well as anyone. 

But I have to ask: Is the ForumComm paywall (InForum, GFHerald, et al) doing more harm than good

I searched "NDSU budget cuts" and got: this

I tried to read the Forum article and got "paywalled" so I read KFYR's, and VNL's, and even The Flags' (WDAY-AM) stories. 

I used to be a ForumComm subscriber when it was a daily paper. I even was a subscriber when it was two-days a week with online rights. But the way the online rights are set up, if I log in from my phone I have to re-log in on a computer or iPad later. It's a pain. It's not worth it. I dropped it all. I'll read what I can (freebees) until I run out then I go elsewhere. 

So I ask, ... 

is the ForumComm paywall doing more harm than good if long time subscribers like me have just given up. 

1 hour ago, Kab said:

We do have the herald, good news is you can read all the different forum owned papers

you do get some local coverage in Dickinson, Duluth and others 

bad news is you get mcfooley 

I used to subscribe to GFH and thought that I would get other Forum papers.  But, I had problems logging on to some of the papers and then having to re-login as noted above.  it was a mess.  So, I just dropped it.  Didn't want to and wanted to support the papers.  But, enough is enough, if they come up with some regional superset of articles ..  I would be interested.  But, getting $5 and $10 to death just not worth it.. 

7 hours ago, FSSD said:

I used to subscribe to GFH and thought that I would get other Forum papers.  But, I had problems logging on to some of the papers and then having to re-login as noted above.  it was a mess.  So, I just dropped it.  Didn't want to and wanted to support the papers.  But, enough is enough, if they come up with some regional superset of articles ..  I would be interested.  But, getting $5 and $10 to death just not worth it.. 

I also did a mercy subscription to the GF Herald for a year about a year ago (2 day paper and digital access)  Missed the actual paper but it's become a lame joke - at least I can still use it to light my charcoal grill so there IS a value there but the digital access is to total cluster.   Have to sign in frequently and slow "breaking" news.  

Totally not worth it and won't be re-upping this year.   Sad but the Herald is going down like the Hindenburg and where else can you get local news?  KNOX has also become a laughingstock of right wing idiots...completely unlistenable local talk radio but at least that idiot Cunningham has moved out of town (well close - from Thompson to Valley City - he just endlessly bitched about everything) 

Good Riddance!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cunningham to VC?  what’s the story there?  didn’t listen to his show since I’m in Bismarck but always enjoyed his play by play of sports.  His twitter was a little piss and vinegar however. 

my paywall works for in inform company.  Don’t mind paying for that, it’s better value than the Bismarck tribune and it’s not even close.  

13 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

my paywall works for in inform company.  

@Johnny Five: Do you use multiple devices? 

I'd constantly have to be logging in because I use a phone, a tablet (OK, two, one personal, one work), a PC, and ... yeah, my fridge has a web browser too (don't ask). It's like you can only be logged into one device. 

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

@Johnny Five: Do you use multiple devices? 

I'd constantly have to be logging in because I use a phone, a tablet (OK, two, one personal, one work), a PC, and ... yeah, my fridge has a web browser too (don't ask). It's like you can only be logged into one device. 

I guess I do find myself login in often.  

10 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

I also did a mercy subscription to the GF Herald for a year about a year ago (2 day paper and digital access)  Missed the actual paper but it's become a lame joke - at least I can still use it to light my charcoal grill so there IS a value there but the digital access is to total cluster.   Have to sign in frequently and slow "breaking" news.  

Totally not worth it and won't be re-upping this year.   Sad but the Herald is going down like the Hindenburg and where else can you get local news?  KNOX has also become a laughingstock of right wing idiots...completely unlistenable local talk radio but at least that idiot Cunningham has moved out of town (well close - from Thompson to Valley City - he just endlessly bitched about everything) 

Good Riddance!

lol, I also use the GF Herald to light my charcoal grill.

For something that is so unlistenable, sure sounds like you listen a lot. :wink: 

The KNOX website is strictly straight news. It's not the cleanest layout, by any means, but it's a decent source for local news with no political opinion pieces... kind of like this website is supposed to be.

13 hours ago, N of GF said:

For something that is so unlistenable, sure sounds like you listen a lot. :wink: 

NOPE - not any more and I hate it because i've always been a supporter of local talk radio even if I don't agree with the host because at least it's local.    JT had his issues but at least he tried to provide info about GF.   All I'll say is the idiot they have on late afternoons - and yeah I'll name names - LEE HENSRUD is a shrill little small man who complains "everything woke going on in GF" - wtf??
The day I switched KNOX off was the day this moron talked about Grand Forks Schools allowing kids who "identified" as "furries" to go the bathroom in a litterbox instead of going to a bathroom.   SERIOUSLY?   Don't you think your own kids might have come home and mentioned this?  It turned out to be a national social media hoax by kids who - SHOCKINGLY - were trying to disturb/annoy their parents.  This moron bought it hook, line and sinker without doing 1 ounce of research (and NOT on nutty internet sites but by actually calling local officials and (MAYBE-GASP) having them on your show to talk about it??)

Talk radio can be great when they talk about real local issues and bring on people who can expand on the conversation - it's been a LONG time since KNOX has done that.  They pick the low hanging political fruit and go with it...and it contributes NOTHING the betterment of GF as a community and we're suffering for it. 

39 minutes ago, gfNDfan said:

NOPE - not any more and I hate it because i've always been a supporter of local talk radio even if I don't agree with the host because at least it's local.    JT had his issues but at least he tried to provide info about GF.   All I'll say is the idiot they have on late afternoons - and yeah I'll name names - LEE HENSRUD is a shrill little small man who complains "everything woke going on in GF" - wtf??
The day I switched KNOX off was the day this moron talked about Grand Forks Schools allowing kids who "identified" as "furries" to go the bathroom in a litterbox instead of going to a bathroom.   SERIOUSLY?   Don't you think your own kids might have come home and mentioned this?  It turned out to be a national social media hoax by kids who - SHOCKINGLY - were trying to disturb/annoy their parents.  This moron bought it hook, line and sinker without doing 1 ounce of research (and NOT on nutty internet sites but by actually calling local officials and (MAYBE-GASP) having them on your show to talk about it??)

Talk radio can be great when they talk about real local issues and bring on people who can expand on the conversation - it's been a LONG time since KNOX has done that.  They pick the low hanging political fruit and go with it...and it contributes NOTHING the betterment of GF as a community and we're suffering for it. 

I have been a KNOX listener for bout 8 years, I want to hear about local issues and news and not the same regurgitated talking points from fox news. 

Are there furries in Fargo and West Fargo schools? Yes.
Litter boxes? No. (That makes it better?)
From WDAY-TV: https://www.facebook.com/wdaytv/posts/are-there-furries-in-fargo-moorhead-schools-yes-but-no-litter-boxes-httpstribal3/10158649639873093/ 

How about we get back to ... is KNOX radio's website good for news, because it's not paywalled? 

All I want is radio, tv, and papers that just REPORT NEWS, NOT MAKE SH IT up,

I am smart enough to decide

paywalls are there for a reason but you can get the Phoenix paper for $1 a week on special

the reason I would imagine is the more subscribers they have the more they can charge for ads.

• 6 months later...