SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Just now, scpa0305 said:

Looks at this guy go…funny stuff 

This season. He would have been in a suit this season if he had come in. That's what I'm saying. If you disagree, I mean, I don't know what I can do to change your mind. He just decommitted.

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

Do you see him above Albrecht, Montgomery, Budy?  Sometimes you need to make tough decisions in order to keep potential talent around.  He might not be ready, but if he had to sit like some of those guys did, so be it. Would rather keep the higher ceiling guys around.  After all, we brought in Brent Johnson over Morrow, and one could see early he wasn’t physically ready for the college game, but we have someone with good potential going forward.

If he's willing to bail like this, he likely would have bailed after not getting much ice as a rookie.

‐---------------

Not related to the above:

Donovan isn't the only player we wanted to wait a year on who didn't pan out after rushing to college lately. Mancinelli and Reid aren't stars at ASU or UNH. The former is in the portal.

Just now, siouxfaninseattle said:

I think this situation happens when they decided to ask Hain and Sneden to come back. Much as I like them both, and they certainly fit the UND culture, neither are great at putting the puck in the net. And the team needs scorers. Certainly Spicer was not likely to be a top player right away but the upside looks strong. I don't like keeping a fifth year guy around, or bringing in a one year guy from the portal, when you risk losing a potential 3 year top 6 guy.

Four players (potentially) are coming in this season that are being pegged as guys that can contribute offensively. We need scorers, no doubt, but we also need guys to do what Sendo and Hain do and they both play their roles at the best level possible. 

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This is all completely fair. I just think our current class is a little packed up. They knew the kid needed a scholarship and based on the players coming in, he didn't have one this season. UND made the decision of one more year of Hain/Sendo for a run at a title over Spicer, who COULD end up being good, or could end up being Ryder Donavan. 

I don't think they did. If you agree with what Schlossman is saying and Spicer was 5th on the Freshman forward ranking (which I agree with the ranking), I just don't see how you were getting to five Freshman forwards. There are still going to be dots to connect, but I think the casualties of Hain/Senden are coming from guys already on the roster who would have stayed and not to the detriment of the Freshman class. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Spicer last season  - 26 games, 16 points

Montgomery USHL final season - 28 games, 23 points

Can we at least give Montgomery more than 16 games with very limited shifts at UND before people make a decision on him?

I actually don't mind Montgomery, but once again Montgomery did that a full year older than Spicer.  Do you really think Spicer wouldn't blow past that 23 point mark next season given how at every level he has started out slow but then skyrocketed once he got accustomed to the level?

1 minute ago, AJS said:

I don't think they did. If you agree with what Schlossman is saying and Spicer was 5th on the Freshman forward ranking (which I agree with the ranking), I just don't see how you were getting to five Freshman forwards. There are still going to be dots to connect, but I think the casualties of Hain/Senden are coming from guys already on the roster who would have stayed and not to the detriment of the Freshman class. 

I should have said "chose the roster as currently constructed" over them choosing Hain/Senden. Could have been more succinct there. 

4 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I actually don't mind Montgomery, but once again Montgomery did that a full year older than Spicer.  Do you really think Spicer wouldn't blow past that 23 point mark next season given how at every level he has started out slow but then skyrocketed once he got accustomed to the level?

Seems like a good reason to stay one more year at a level and then step into the next :)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Four players (potentially) are coming in this season that are being pegged as guys that can contribute offensively. We need scorers, no doubt, but we also need guys to do what Sendo and Hain do and they both play their roles at the best level possible. 

They do what they are asked to do very well. Maybe Portz, Albrecht, Ness, Kunz can fulfill those roles, although maybe not quite as well but they don't plug up the pipeline. I will be happy to get beyond the #%*$ caused by Covid!

2 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

They do what they are asked to do very well. Maybe Portz, Albrecht, Ness, Kunz can fulfill those roles, although maybe not quite as well but they don't plug up the pipeline. I will be happy to get beyond the #%*$ caused by Covid!

I never thought he was ready to come in at 18. Not many do come here at 18. So, I'm not sure how plugged up the pipeline is, I guess. 

Still would pick Senden and Hain over all of those guys to play their roles. I have very high hopes for this team this coming season and I don't think adding Spicer to this year's team would have made a difference. Do I still want him after this coming season? Absolutely, which is why today sucks. He's got loads of potential. Kid made his choice, though.

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I should have said "chose the roster as currently constructed" over them choosing Hain/Senden. Could have been more succinct there. 

All we can really do is watch how this plays out. This discussion made me think of the Mitchell Miller situation a few years back. There was a lot of Moore or Miller talk and he ended up bringing in both and that summer there was 9 defenseman on the roster (before the fiasco). That does tell me, that if Berry thinks the player is ready, he'll make room. There are going to be more dots to connect, but if we see two more go to the portal, then that was him making room for James. He clearly didn't think that Spicer was ready or that there was anymore fat to trim. 

2 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

What if recruits see this as Berrys forte, other coach’s are for sure using this when talking to recruits, Rizzo, Halliday, Morrow , and now spicer seems like a trend and not a good one. 

Tell me how that pitch goes from the coaches who are "using this against us" ... I'd love to know this insight on what you think is happening.

4 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

What if recruits see this as Berrys forte, other coach’s are for sure using this when talking to recruits, Rizzo, Halliday, Morrow , and now spicer seems like a trend and not a good one. 

You realize this happens at every major college hockey program, right?

• Upvote 1

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

Tell me how that pitch goes from the coaches who are "using this against us" ... I'd love to know this insight on what you think is happening.

How about Berry will just keep delaying you when we will get you on the roster and maybe you can become an all American too, how’s that ?

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We don’t know what is happening , but watching ex recruits win the frozen four , become  an all American as a freshmen  or lead the USHL in scoring gets a little old when we can’t score more then one goal in a playoff game. 

• Upvote 1