SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday game thread - WMU@UND - 02.26.2022

Kevin G

9 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This team, man. We talk culture all the time around here. This year's squad is it. Pure, unabashed, unfiltered desire to win. 

Think of the players out tonight! The best player in college hockey, our team's leading scorer, and probably our second-best defenseman who has been on an absolute tear, all wearing suits. The team then goes out and controls a really strong team, potting huge goals and playing shutdown defense up and down the ice on Senior Night. Incredible stuff. 

So proud of this team and to be a fan of them. All balls, all the time.

That's all fine, but they are still grindaz.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Caulfield........too good to be too quiet too often. Best skater on the ice IMO tonight. Needs to translate that play more consistently.

Albrecht is simply a hockey player. Knows his role, accepts it and competes his a$$ off.

Let's not kid ourselves........it's Driscoll play that has elevated this team. He was below average through the Cornell series. He's been the conference MVP since that series. 

NCHC player of the month for February.  Legitimately should win the goaltender of the week again, but Ludvig was pretty solid against the Dawgs as Ciskie is already ploying for him to win the award. 

6 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Every year GFhockey finds a way to make itself appear to be more incompetent than the previous.  

This team is finally gelling at the right time. Scoring might still be an issue. If they keep playing hard and stay out of the box, they will be tough to beat.

Umm huh

Before we go overboard the other way and declare UND National Champs, let’s remember we have had a lot of good fortune in our run, a lot of which has been deserved with our intensity.  The two goals that Western put in their own goal let us play from the lead and that is huge for this team.  We have seen how big that and goaltending is during the one and done tournament, so hopefully we can continue down that path.  We have seen how that can turn on a dime though, so we definitely need our difference makers back and have the rest of the team continue to play in desperation mode. 

We harp on officials a lot.

Today I'll give credit where is due.

Zebra13 was in perfect position for the Driscoll behind the back save. He saw it the whole way, shot, off glass, onto back, covered, immediately waved no-goal. I'm sure all video did for him is confirm that the glove wasn't behind the crossbar, otherwise, full marks on that play. 

12 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Nope...there will be 7 dunks and some random tennis and golf shi+ that make up the other 3.

It was 6 dunks,......then 1 routine 3 pointer, 2 soccer kicks for scores, and one golf shot.

But the bicycle kick soccer goal, and the eagle put from a sand bunker were damn good....

What is the mesmerizing love of the dunk? It's always one of several in every game deal. Not that I watch any B Ball...

50 minutes ago, LuvHockey said:

It was 6 dunks,......then 1 routine 3 pointer, 2 soccer kicks for scores, and one golf shot.

But the bicycle kick soccer goal, and the eagle put from a sand bunker were damn good....

What is the mesmerizing love of the dunk? It's always one of several in every game deal. Not that I watch any B Ball...

The contract with Disney and the nba. They have to make sure it’s plastered in your face. 

1 hour ago, LuvHockey said:

I don't see why they still have a dunk contest in the NBA All-Star Game when everything has been done.

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Before we go overboard the other way and declare UND National Champs, let’s remember we have had a lot of good fortune in our run, a lot of which has been deserved with our intensity.  The two goals that Western put in their own goal let us play from the lead and that is huge for this team.  We have seen how big that and goaltending is during the one and done tournament, so hopefully we can continue down that path.  We have seen how that can turn on a dime though, so we definitely need our difference makers back and have the rest of the team continue to play in desperation mode. 

This is true.   A lot of fans from every base seem to need to be either ecstatic or pissed.   Their team either wins with a great effort or loses because they did not put forth full effort.   This team could get dumped in its first regional game.   Even so, though, I think it's clear they care about winning and are playing close to their maximum potential.  Can't expect much more than that.  

Along the same lines, every season since Blais righted the ship has been interesting and competitive.  They've all had their ups and downs, and most ended up shy of Nirvana, but they have been endlessly entertaining.  Just look to Wisconsin's sad journey and BC's fall from grace, not to mention the prolonged suffering of Maine and UNH, to see what could be.  We have been so spoiled, for what has basically been the bulk of my adult life.  

• Upvote 3