SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-12, 0-3) vs USD (7-7, 0-3) 1/10 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I blame it more on the injuries to Nero, Sueker, and Levias.  If UND had those three fully healthy, this is a different looking team. 

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that UND will not have any of these three fully healthy for the rest of the way. 

Feel sorry for this team, looking at the bench last night and only 3 on the bench the second half.  It’s hard to play without many subs being able to come in.  They do play hard but without many bigs you have 6 foot 4 kids guarding their bigs.  Where was the rest of the team, I didn’t see the non dressed kids on the bench or was I missing something.

52 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Its almost like unexpectedly losing a 1st team all-confernce player plus the freshman player of the year leaves a big hole in the roster, not to mention another starter who decided the grass was greener elsewhere. Toss in a couple injured starters and this is what you get. Team didn't really have the depth yet to absorb the offseason losses let alone the in-season injuries. There are some solid pieces that have been brought in, now the plan needs to be to keep them and bring in a few more and some depth that can actually contribute. 

Would have been real nice if Archambault had been playing for the home team last night, he would have been a good addition.

All the guys that entered the portal did so fairly quickly iirc so they knew what they needed and weren't able to get somewhat equal talent, not even close really.  

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

All the guys that entered the portal did so fairly quickly iirc so they knew what they needed and weren't able to get somewhat equal talent, not even close really.  

My opinion is that T has been an upgrade.
But they weren't able to replace Tyree or FIlip. And frankly, expecting them to is probably not realistic. Getting "equal talent" to an all-conference center and a freshman of the year PG isn't something that is going to happen at this level. Those players are looking to move up to mid-major or higher.

It is frustrating, but the injuries this team has on top of departures is showing the lack of depth. Some stability on the roster this offseason would be very helpfu.

• Upvote 1

I think they did replace Tyree with Bruns just slightly different players both guards and both have been effective as Freshman.  What they didn't replace was Rebraca and I don't think you could have but I think they should have looked for one more experienced big man instead of settling on Howard who didn't fit and finally left the team. Also we haven't seen what Levias will bring to the team I have feeling he would have brought some things that Tyree brought to the team. To also be fair not many teams can absorb loss of three top seven players and then have scholarship player quit team that represents 30% of the roster and in this case has been the top of the roster. The only team that could weather that now in this conference is South Dakota State and they would be still hurt by this kind of loss.

WIU seems to be doing well despite nearly everyone on their team transferring out. https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/western-illinois

What's the difference between them and us?  Sather has been at UND a year longer than their coach, correct?  I'm not saying that Sather doesn't deserve more time.  Just saying...   we seem to be good at finding excuses.

https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/story/sports/2021/10/15/wiu-men-hoops/8466404002/

57 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I see Allen Eikens is averging 6 pts/game playing in front of 900+ a night.  Exciting move!

where's his dad or mom on here talking about "best recruit und's gotten in years"..........i remember going to my first game to see him and saying....really?  

2 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I think they did replace Tyree with Bruns just slightly different players both guards and both have been effective as Freshman. 

Disagree. While he may have filled his spot in the line-up, Bruns committed April, 2020 and signed November, 2020, both before Tyree had even played a game in a UND uniform. Bruns was supposed to add depth this year and they were both supposed to be playing. Instead, he has been forced to take a huge step forward as a true freshman. And I think he's done a great job rising to the occasion. 

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

WIU seems to be doing well despite nearly everyone on their team transferring out. https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/western-illinois

What's the difference between them and us?  Sather has been at UND a year longer than their coach, correct?  I'm not saying that Sather doesn't deserve more time.  Just saying...   we seem to be good at finding excuses.

https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/story/sports/2021/10/15/wiu-men-hoops/8466404002/

For WIU, out of their top 5 scorers/rebounders/minutes, they graduated one guy who was 2nd in minutes, 4th in scoring and 3rd in rebounding. With that returning nucleaus, it is a lot easier to bring in freshman and transfers to help with depth and fill those gaps.
On the other hand, UND unexpectedly lost 3 guys who were their 1st and 3rd leading scorer, top 3 rebounders and the guys that were 1st, 2nd and 4th in minutes/game. And that doesn't even account for DAE leaving.

I mean, call them whatever you want, the comparison of the holes each team ended up having to fill between seasons are completely different.

Even thinking about what this team could have been this year with the players that left is incredibly frustrating. Even if they are able to keep just Tyree and Filip, their record is completely different. Not a secret that there are holes big holes to fill. Need to hold on to the core in the offseason and plug the holes however necessary.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

For WIU, out of their top 5 scorers/rebounders/minutes, they graduated one guy who was 2nd in minutes, 4th in scoring and 3rd in rebounding. With that returning nucleaus, it is a lot easier to bring in freshman and transfers to help with depth and fill those gaps.
On the other hand, UND unexpectedly lost 3 guys who were their 1st and 3rd leading scorer, top 3 rebounders and the guys that were 1st, 2nd and 4th in minutes/game. And that doesn't even account for DAE leaving.

I mean, call them whatever you want, the comparison of the holes each team ended up having to fill between seasons are completely different.

Even thinking about what this team could have been this year with the players that left is incredibly frustrating. Even if they are able to keep just Tyree and Filip, their record is completely different. Not a secret that there are holes big holes to fill. Need to hold on to the core in the offseason and plug the holes however necessary.

I think the problem is that they left immediately after the season. We knew what we had to replace and we’ve done a poor job doing it. It’s not like tyree and Filip left in August. I’d be fine having a rough season if we had a trio of freshman like Webb, Anderson, and Huff where we know we got some talent, it’s just going to take some time to develop it and get experience. I don’t know how many guys on this roster are capable of developing into guys that could play a role on a top 3 team in the summit 

22 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I think the problem is that they left immediately after the season. We knew what we had to replace and we’ve done a poor job doing it. It’s not like tyree and Filip left in August. I’d be fine having a rough season if we had a trio of freshman like Webb, Anderson, and Huff where we know we got some talent, it’s just going to take some time to develop it and get experience. I don’t know how many guys on this roster are capable of developing into guys that could play a role on a top 3 team in the summit 

Fair but you can't bring freshman in after the season. SIgning day was in November, at the beginning of the season. Nor can you expect them to develop that fast.
So you are going to need to go the JuCo and transfer route and compete against everyone else who's trying to fill holes. And there aren't exactly a ton of all-conference caliber players that are looking to transfer to a low/mid-major conference. So you're going to need to roll the dice and hope that you hit a few. 

No argument that the depth and quality of the roster needs to improve. Hopefully there are some talented players looking for some minutes and there should be plenty of that here next season.

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

where's his dad or mom on here talking about "best recruit und's gotten in years"..........i remember going to my first game to see him and saying....really?  

I think he may have peaked as a freshman in high school. He was trending to be a top 100 recruit nationally as a 15 year old. 

• Like 1