SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-12, 0-3) vs USD (7-7, 0-3) 1/10 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

I thought this was possible game for us to win especially at home. I only got to see most of last half of basketball. I find no fault with effort with this team but lack of athleticism compared to our other opponents is easily seen watching the game. If this team shoots basketball at 42% for the game and makes its free throws this game should have been 10 point victory. Instead we loose by 7 points and looking at rest of league i don't see one team where i feel were better them and would be favored to win the game with personnel we have on the court right now. This does not mean we can't come up with couple of victories in conference season but loosing tonight was one of the victories i thought we might have playing at home. Sueker is not even close to 100% you could see it with him coming off court in second have we was limping walking to the bench. When will Nero return haven't heard any time line on him yet and are they just going to redshirt Levias for rest of the season since were 2/3 through the season. I see McGrath must be sick or hurt not on the bench. This all adds up to pretty thin and young lineup for the rest of the season. The positive to this season is Bruns, Mathews, Tsartsidze, and Grant are getting playing time which should help them in future years getting experience playing quality minutes. I think this season is now all about getting ourselves ready for next season and hope with new additions next year help us make a step forward to competing in this conference. I know this very negative assessment but i just don't see us having much of chance of anything with remainder of the season. Were going to be at best 7 seed and lucky to be 8 seed which we more than likely to meet South Dakota State team that is so talent and deep we would have hard time winning against their second 5 let alone their first 5. This is not going to be quick rebuild now this is going to take couple of years developing the players and adding young talent a lot of people here on this board are really going to be squawking about this but no matter what direction we go its going to take time especially if going to go with young players. We are already committed to this when looking at roster number of young players on the roster and who are recruited for next year. Its very rare to win conferences with young players it takes experienced leadership to win and only time will take care of this.

8 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Covid and the portal are only issues for UND apparently because nobody else looks as bad as we do 

I blame it more on the injuries to Nero, Sueker, and Levias.  If UND had those three fully healthy, this is a different looking team. 

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that UND will not have any of these three fully healthy for the rest of the way. 

Its almost like unexpectedly losing a 1st team all-confernce player plus the freshman player of the year leaves a big hole in the roster, not to mention another starter who decided the grass was greener elsewhere. Toss in a couple injured starters and this is what you get. Team didn't really have the depth yet to absorb the offseason losses let alone the in-season injuries. There are some solid pieces that have been brought in, now the plan needs to be to keep them and bring in a few more and some depth that can actually contribute. 

Would have been real nice if Archambault had been playing for the home team last night, he would have been a good addition.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1