SiouxSports.com Forum

US Supreme Court ruling about NCAA “pay”

Mama Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Is this guaranteed money up front?  When things don't pan out for some of these players their lives could be ruined (financially and emotionally).  I hope he saves enough to cover taxes.:D  This is essentially professional sports now.  Chaos beginning.  This NIL stuff ends badly.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State quarterback Quinn Ewers has reportedly signed a name, image and likeness deal worth $1.4 million. ... ESPN reports the deal was negotiated by Ewers' agents and is his third NIL deal overall. In July, the NCAA adopted rules for athletes to be compensated for their name, image and likeness.

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2021 at 1:35 AM, Sioux94 said:

ASU’s QB gets a new Mustang GT. So in a couple years will be the top college players be making a million a year off endorsements etc? This is going to turn into a s**t show if you ask me. Recruiting will have little to do with winning and the coaches soon, it will be how much they and their boosters can promise new recruits will make. 

B7216269-3AD0-4725-9B88-DA8559744048.jpeg

This was already happening under the table. 

It is what it is. 

P.S. bro has trash taste in vehicles. Just get a truck lol

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Is this guaranteed money up front?  When things don't pan out for some of these players their lives could be ruined (financially and emotionally).  I hope he saves enough to cover taxes.:D  This is essentially professional sports now.  Chaos beginning.  This NIL stuff ends badly.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State quarterback Quinn Ewers has reportedly signed a name, image and likeness deal worth $1.4 million. ... ESPN reports the deal was negotiated by Ewers' agents and is his third NIL deal overall. In July, the NCAA adopted rules for athletes to be compensated for their name, image and likeness.

The talent gap in sports will inevitably grow very wide.

Might not be much basketball Cinderella stories moving forward.

FCS vs FBS: Millionaires vs the Waterboys.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

In that case, the NCAA Tournament will become much less compelling and fewer people will follow it.

Or maybe a small school with great financial backing will emerge?

Only take a couple blue chippahs in basketball. The Ivys?

Full effect probably five years away.

• 4 weeks later...

It never ends… now the National Labor Relations Board said in guidance released Wednesday that college athletes who could earn millions should be considered employees. Private colleges could see student athletes unionize to negotiate their “working conditions.” The NCAA disputes this saying college athletes who compete against other college athletes are students.  When will this end? 

9 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

It never ends… now the National Labor Relations Board said in guidance released Wednesday that college athletes who could earn millions should be considered employees. Private colleges could see student athletes unionize to negotiate their “working conditions.” The NCAA disputes this saying college athletes who compete against other college athletes are students.  When will this end? 

As is often the case, Congress needs to act. When they don’t, the executive and judicial branches abuse the separation of powers until you can hardly recognize the American ideal underneath.

Employee status for purposes of unionization, collective bargaining, etc. is one thing, but the NLRB has historically not exercised the type of power they are threatening to wield here, with agency action against the NCAA, conferences, and public schools. And I’m not sure that student-athletes yet understand - or will like - all that’s coming, if this erosion continues to its logical end.

Regardless of your political affiliation or views on student-athletes, this should scare you.  A single political appointee (a lawyer…not even a department head) has just made substantive federal law and jeopardized college sports with the stroke of a pen. By fiat.

I believe in amateurism, but it’s not sustainable if we don’t agree across-the-board to treat college sports as the unique creature it is. Exemption, or extinction. And having read the recent Supreme Court case, I think I know where this is headed.

• Upvote 1

Decided to check out some NIL deals.

Apparently the highest paid amount (at the time?)

Is a $2 million deal for a average athlete who is going to Tennessee St. 

The son of a "famous (presumably wealthy) rapper" paid by a company that doesn't have a real address or internet presence.

Some people have some suspicions.

• 6 months later...
On 7/8/2021 at 8:49 AM, Cratter said:

Coaches will definately be using at as a recruiting tool. 

"We have a great relationship with New Arm Sewing Company. So far all our athletes have received $10,000 a year. But youre special. I wouldnt be surprised to see you get double that." Wink wink

All these athletes need to do is have a twitter account. And tweet "Thanks to Doug Burgums Downtown Fargo Development group. They are doing great work." Two seconds from their phone. 

My prediction was close. But it's $50,000 not $10,000....for a lineman!

For example, according to Sports Illustrated, all scholarship offensive linemen at the University of Texas are offered $50,000 per year to be spokesmen for the nonprofit Horns with Heart. Why would a top-rated offensive linemen go anywhere else?

https://thefederalist.com/2022/02/17/letting-student-athletes-make-money-is-already-destroying-college-football/

Where is Ralph Engelstad when you need him!

Because you're gonna have to start buying hockey nattys sooner or later. 

Might as well get a jump on the competition before the Big Ten buys them all!

Now imagine players using the new transfer portal rules and the NIL deals in tandem. What if Young could earn $2 million if he transferred to Texas? This could get out of hand quickly.

Ever wonder why ths Big Ten had two teams in the Frozen Four this year?

:whistling: