SiouxSports.com Forum

US Supreme Court ruling about NCAA “pay”

Mama Sue

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

On one hand parity is nice to see who's the best within a set criteria, ostarine and all.  However, on the other hand is now the Wild West of college football.  If a team like SMU wants to win a Natty, like in 1981 - 1982 time frame (yes, SMU) then so be it.  The roofs now blown off college football, expect some new powerhouse teams to emerge.

I dont think there will be new powerhouses. I'm expecting some sleeping giants to wake up though. 

SMU and the G5 have fallen too far behind. But USC, Michigan, Texas... hell..Oklahoma State?

54 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I dont think there will be new powerhouses. I'm expecting some sleeping giants to wake up though. 

SMU and the G5 have fallen too far behind. But USC, Michigan, Texas... hell..Oklahoma State?

Who has the big dollar behind the scenes donors/fans? We'll find out, won't we. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

This one is small potatoes.....teams are just warming up with the package deals.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/miami-football-mma-contract-nil-6000/

Florida company to offer $540K worth of NIL deals to all Miami scholarship football players

The name, image and likeness era of college athletics is not even a week old, and we’ve already seen some significant deals struck. One that emerged out of the University of Miami on Tuesday falls into that category, especially for its unique — and lucrative — structure.  American Top Team, a South Florida-based MMA training company, has finalized its plans to offer NIL contracts to every scholarship football player for the Hurricanes. CaneSport.com first reported the deal, which is for all 90 of Miami’s current scholarship players.

image.png

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I think you underestimate the power of $$.  Some limp dick booster somewhere has enough scratch to elevate a G5 or lower program.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

On one hand parity is nice to see who's the best within a set criteria, ostarine and all.  However, on the other hand is now the Wild West of college football.  If a team like SMU wants to win a Natty, like in 1981 - 1982 time frame (yes, SMU) then so be it.  The roofs now blown off college football, expect some new powerhouse teams to emerge.

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

That’s a fun game to play. Which program will rise like crazy out of nowhere in the next couple years? If it’s not a blue blood don’t be surprised if the rule all of a sudden changes.

I’ll go with North Texas and Illinois as my dark horses.

That IS a fun game to play. A large base of alumni with a few fanatical about success will now have the chance to buy trophies (much like Big Money buying Premier League soccer titles).

I will go with where the money is:  USC, UNLV, Miami (FL), U-Texas.

Fanaticism is harder to predict:  Let's just say the entire SEC.

PS which hockey programs might have a large base of alumni with a few fanatical about success?

9 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I think you underestimate the power of $$.  Some limp dick booster somewhere has enough scratch to elevate a G5 or lower program.

The fun thing is the blue bloods got money too. Most of them have a lot of it too. And they are used to winning.  Hell I'm very okay with Notre Dame waking the echos by opening some checkbooks.

We will see. Should be interesting if nothing else!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, farce poobah said:

That IS a fun game to play. A large base of alumni with a few fanatical about success will now have the chance to buy trophies (much like Big Money buying Premier League soccer titles).

I will go with where the money is:  USC, UNLV, Miami (FL), U-Texas.

Fanaticism is harder to predict:  Let's just say the entire SEC.

PS which hockey programs might have a large base of alumni with a few fanatical about success?

Oooo UNLV could be a nice pick. That would be hilarious.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

NDSU and Burgum have to be loving this decision.

In order to bribe players to come to a chosen school doesn't a service have to be provided by the bribee which is 'beneficial' to the bridor?  Lithia Ford in GF can't hand out checks until a commercial is cut and the hockey players are in it........is this correct?  Or maybe the bribees just need to wear a Lithia hat.  The comical part will be the justification of the bribes.  (although some college players do have the star power to be legit earners, most $ gifts will be bribes)

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

In order to bribe players to come to a chosen school doesn't a service have to be provided by the bribee which is 'beneficial' to the bridor?  Lithia Ford in GF can't hand out checks until a commercial is cut and the hockey players are in it........is this correct?  Or maybe the bribees just need to wear a Lithia hat.  The comical part will be the justification of the bribes.  (although some college players do have the star power to be legit earners, most $ gifts will be bribes)

So the way it already has been for decades.

23 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Coaches will definately be using at as a recruiting tool. 

"We have a great relationship with New Arm Sewing Company. So far all our athletes have received $10,000 a year. But youre special. I wouldnt be surprised to see you get double that." Wink wink

All these athletes need to do is have a twitter account. And tweet "Thanks to Doug Burgums Downtown Fargo Development group. They are doing great work." Two seconds from their phone. 

17 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Coaches will definately be using at as a recruiting tool. 

"We have a great relationship with New Arm Sewing Company. So far all our athletes have received $10,000 a year. But youre special. I wouldnt be surprised to see you get double that." Wink wink

All these athletes need to do is have a twitter account. And tweet "Thanks to Doug Burgums Downtown Fargo Development group. They are doing great work." Two seconds from their phone. 

It'll come in sponsorship form. 

Not "physical work" like a commercial.

• Upvote 1

Dont be surprised when you see a "consulting company" on the payroll of a university.

And the owner of that consulting company also has another company that has been giving that universities athletes money.

Come to think of it...The Ralph just quadrupled the rent cost to UND for the use of the facility! ;)

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Dont be surprised when you see a "consulting company" on the payroll of a university.

And the owner of that consulting company also has another company that has been giving that universities athletes money.

I'm sure NDSU is on it.  UND will wait 4-5 years then try to dig themselves out of a hole.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go - 

Ohio State has the top recruit in the top class in the 2022 recruiting cycle, but there’s a chance that player could be on campus in Columbus in 2021.  Five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers is considering forgoing his senior high school season to enroll at Ohio State, which would allow him to profit off of his name, image and likeness — something he can’t do as a high schooler in Texas — according to Yahoo Sports.

• 3 weeks later...

ASU’s QB gets a new Mustang GT. So in a couple years will be the top college players be making a million a year off endorsements etc? This is going to turn into a s**t show if you ask me. Recruiting will have little to do with winning and the coaches soon, it will be how much they and their boosters can promise new recruits will make. 

B7216269-3AD0-4725-9B88-DA8559744048.jpeg

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

ASU’s QB gets a new Mustang GT. So in a couple years will be the top college players be making a million a year off endorsements etc? This is going to turn into a s**t show if you ask me. Recruiting will have little to do with winning and the coaches soon, it will be how much they and their boosters can promise new recruits will make. 

B7216269-3AD0-4725-9B88-DA8559744048.jpeg

Straight Cash Homie!!  WTF did they think was going to happen!!  

• Upvote 1