SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (3-11, 2-3) vs NDSU (7-6, 5-0) 1/16 730

SWSiouxMN

Well... what a change 24 hours makes.  Lol

Sather's changes paid off and sent a message. I watched the post game presser and you could tell that Sather was very annoyed with what happened and drew his line in the sand. Shockey played more minutes than Brady or Nero, heck Brady played more than Nero.  G didn't see the floor.  The offense was 180 degree difference:  more pace, more movement, more aggression, better looking shots.  Even when they missed, it was in the flow of the offense.  It still had its clunk moments at times, but was far superior that last night.  

Panoam was a spark plug in the first half with the 3s.  Was quiet in the 2nd half but stepped up with some defense.  I've been very hard on Panoam in his time here at UND, but I am so happy that he stepped up and gave UND some good minutes this weekend.  I think he has deserved some more run going forward. 

Igbanugo gutted out a 42 minute performance, I thought he was going to fade late in the 2nd half but man he got this 2nd wind in OT.  Hit some shots from 3, stepped up his aggressiveness. 

Sims didn't score, but was a beast on the defensive end.  Whatever UND lost with DAE on the scoring end, Sims makes up defensively.  His scoring will come but his defense will travel.  Getting better.

Lets talk about Sueker.  Stepped up big time in the 2nd half and OT.  20 out his 22 points were in the 2nd half and OT.  He stepped up and made the winning plays, although he nearly was the goat on that inbounds play at the end of OT.  Made some clutch free throws.  I've been waiting for him to have a bust out game, picked a good time to have one.

The war horse, Rebraca, delivered another big game against NDSU and wasn't afraid to give it back in the smack talk.  Oh, btw... HE MADE HIS FREE THROWS!!!!

This was a good win, now what does UND do with this going forward?  Does this springboard them?  Is this a one-off?  How do Nero and G respond to the lack of minutes tonight?  Does Panoam get an extended run now?  Is this the way going forward?

2-2 in this tough stretch, now the trip to Brookings.  If they can steal one down there, sitting at 4-4 with WIU, DU, USD, and Omaha in the back half doesn't suck now does it?

• Upvote 2

I think this game was growing experience for the team it will be interesting if they can repeat this performance and even get better which i believe they can.  I don't think Urbonavicious  was in dog house as much he didn't fit into UND's game plan where they were going with quickness and movement. I do think it was teaching moment for Nero he has talent but he wants to create off the dribble which slows whole movement down on the offense until everyone is standing around. He has all the tools to play Sathers styleyof basketball but he's going to have look to pass first and not so much one on one dribble offense. But back to Urbonavicious  NDSU  Nelson just exploited him so much night before with his quickness both offensively and defensively it made it impossible for Rebraca  to work inside with both them in paint position. So tonight they just had Rebraca in paint and made Nelson come out the paint defend much quicker and more outside shooting threat thus it opened up the paint for Rebraca to work.  Also when they played Danielson less his presence was replaced by Panoam, ihenacho, and Igbanugo all of these players are much more offensive threat and there defender has to defend. If Danielson is going to get playing time he has to begin to start hit his open looks you can't continue get large minutes if you can't score and contribute offensively. I think he will find that before he is done at UND but its something he has to really work on if he going to play significantly in the future.  Finally Sueker had game where he showed why he was brought in to fill role for UND that last year was filled by Walter last year and Sims before he's done at UND i believe is going become outstanding player in this league because defensively he's already getting there and i think offensively its going to come too. Zdosch was right the loss of DAE is going let some players have opportunity show what they can do and also clarified that they will be called on.  Next weekend is going to be real test for this team  and we see how much they have grown as a team. I am still optimistic that this team could contend for conference tournament championship if they can put three straight games together but we won't know until end of the season.

10 hours ago, petey23 said:

In the first 60 minutes this weekend we had shot 2 free throws. 20 in the last 25 minutes

Really good info there. Some here like the macro picture. Fits a narrative. Saves one from hurting one's back.

What also save one from hurting one's back is getting off one's knees from being a continuous apologetic enabler for all things UND.......but I digress. 

Good win......always fun to see a UND team beat NDSU.

19 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I think this game was growing experience for the team it will be interesting if they can repeat this performance and even get better which i believe they can.  I don't think Urbonavicious  was in dog house as much he didn't fit into UND's game plan where they were going with quickness and movement. I do think it was teaching moment for Nero he has talent but he wants to create off the dribble which slows whole movement down on the offense until everyone is standing around. He has all the tools to play Sathers styleyof basketball but he's going to have look to pass first and not so much one on one dribble offense. But back to Urbonavicious  NDSU  Nelson just exploited him so much night before with his quickness both offensively and defensively it made it impossible for Rebraca  to work inside with both them in paint position. So tonight they just had Rebraca in paint and made Nelson come out the paint defend much quicker and more outside shooting threat thus it opened up the paint for Rebraca to work.  Also when they played Danielson less his presence was replaced by Panoam, ihenacho, and Igbanugo all of these players are much more offensive threat and there defender has to defend. If Danielson is going to get playing time he has to begin to start hit his open looks you can't continue get large minutes if you can't score and contribute offensively. I think he will find that before he is done at UND but its something he has to really work on if he going to play significantly in the future.  Finally Sueker had game where he showed why he was brought in to fill role for UND that last year was filled by Walter last year and Sims before he's done at UND i believe is going become outstanding player in this league because defensively he's already getting there and i think offensively its going to come too. Zdosch was right the loss of DAE is going let some players have opportunity show what they can do and also clarified that they will be called on.  Next weekend is going to be real test for this team  and we see how much they have grown as a team. I am still optimistic that this team could contend for conference tournament championship if they can put three straight games together but we won't know until end of the season.

Lots of good points here. Now at some point, they do need to start moving in a positive direction and away from this see saw that they are on currently.  I will be very interested to see how Nero responds next weekend against SDSU and beyond.  

The 2nd half of this season is going to be manageable.  They still have a good chance of finishing with a winning conference record.