SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 World Juniors in Edmonton

sioux rube

44 minutes ago, Dustin said:

You're probably right as pure broadcasting talent goes, but I doubt the TSN announcers plug college hockey during the telecast like Starman does, which is a good thing IMO.

But Starman is going to a US audience that if they're watching knows about college hockey (more than a Canadian audience).

The TSN guys are playing to their audience --> call a game between two also-rans in Canadian eyes. 

If Starman was on TSN his college hockey schtick would be good advertising for college hockey. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

But Starman is going to a US audience that if they're watching knows about college hockey (more than a Canadian audience).

The TSN guys are playing to their audience --> call a game between two also-rans in Canadian eyes. 

If Starman was on TSN his college hockey schtick would be good advertising for college hockey. 

I agree with this mostly. In my eyes, I do see the possibility of NHL fans (and not necessarily college hockey fans) watching the game (especially this year with no NHL ongoing at the momemt), which would help widen the exposure of college hockey to NHL fans.  (Maybe I'm completely off base here; do NHL broadcasters ever mention where the players were before the NHL?  I'm not an NHL viewer, so I don't know).  I'm guessing Starman would be completely unwelcome as a Canadian color (colour?!) commentator if he kept talking about college hockey, but I agree, it would be a great promotion of the college game to a Canadian audience.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I'm guessing Starman would be completely unwelcome as a Canadian color (colour?!) commentator if he kept talking about college hockey, but I agree, it would be a great promotion of the college game to a Canadian audience.

Colour? 

BEAUTY, eh! 

Take a six of Moosehead out of the cooler for yourself, eh, ya hoser!  

17 hours ago, Wilbur said:

@Goon, are you sure you are related to Bobby Brink's mom?  I mean you could be adopted?  :lol:;)

No, if you look at my sister's eyebrows, you can tell that we're related. :) The athletic talent comes from the Brink side of the family. 

He's got our temper. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

No, if you look at my sister's eyebrows, you can tell that we're related. :) The athletic talent comes from the Brink side of the family. 

He's got our temper. 

"Ninety percent of hockey is mental, the other half is physical"
-Wayne Gretzky 

• Upvote 1

Six games left as of now:

Today:
FIN/SVK -- FIN need the regulation win to set up top spot battle with CAN tomorrow
SUI/GER -- regulation win by SUI and they go to quarters; less and GER goes
RUS/SWE -- that 54(?) game SWE streak on the line as is top in Group B

Tomorrow:
CZE/AUT -- regulation win by AUT and they go to quarters; less and CZE goes
CAN/FIN -- too soon to know but probably top of Group A to winner
SWE/USA -- too soon to know the scenarios, except if SWE beats RUS they'll be playing for the top of Group B

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Six games left as of now:

Today:
FIN/SVK -- FIN need the regulation win to set up top spot battle with CAN tomorrow
SUI/GER -- regulation win by SUI and they go to quarters; less and GER goes
RUS/SWE -- that 54(?) game SWE streak on the line as is top in Group B

Tomorrow:
CZE/AUT -- regulation win by AUT and they go to quarters; less and CZE goes
CAN/FIN -- too soon to know but probably top of Group A to winner
SWE/USA -- too soon to know the scenarios, except if SWE beats RUS they'll be playing for the top of Group B

Why does Finland need a regulation win today ?  Wouldn’t one point still give them first place if they beat Canada ?  Don’t know what is used for tie breakers but even a regulation loss today by Finland would still let them tie Canada with a win tomorrow.  Am I missing something ?

43 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Why does Finland need a regulation win today ?  Wouldn’t one point still give them first place if they beat Canada ?  Don’t know what is used for tie breakers but even a regulation loss today by Finland would still let them tie Canada with a win tomorrow.  Am I missing something ?

Tie-breaking in IIHF is head to head if two teams are tied.  

if more than two teams are tied, it goes to points earned among the tied teams.  If still tied, like the case right now with CZE, RUS, and USA, then it goes to goal differential.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

You're not; I am. 

FIN (2 GP and 6 pts) scenarios starting today:
Get 3 pt v SVK (for 9 pts), must beat CAN (R or OT).
Get 2 pt v SVK (for 8 pts), must beat CAN (R or OT). 
Get 1 pt v SVK (for 7 pts), must beat CAN in regulation.
Get 0 pt v SVK (for 6 pts), must beat CAN in regulation.

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

if more than two teams are tied, it goes to points earned among the tied teams.  If still tied, like the case right now with CZE, RUS, and USA, then it goes to goal differential.

... in games amongst the tied teams. 

Tie breaking info is down the page here: https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/wm20/tournamentinfo/22687/tournament-info