SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 World Juniors in Edmonton

sioux rube

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

FIN on its way, up 3-0 half way through game. 

SVK had delayed penalty and I swear FIN controlled the puck (6x5) for over a minute before giving up possession (including two good scoring chances). 

I swear the US scored on a delayed penalty yesterday but then wasn't awarded the power play.  I am not remembering that right?

So the worst that the USA can finish in their group is 3rd?  
1.  Sweden 6 pts.  Russia, USA.......Can finish 1,2,3
2. Russia 6 pts.  Sweden left......Can finish 1,2,3,4
3. USA 6 pts.  Sweden left......Can finsh 1,2,3
4. Czechs 3 pts.  Austria left....Can finish 3,4
5. Austria 0 pts.  Czechs........Can finish 4th. 

If the USA loses, the Czechs beat Austria, and Russia loses that would mean a three way tie for 2nd.  So then in tiebreaker one, head to head points between the three, they would all get 3 points in direct games because they all have a win and a loss.  So then it goes to the goal differential tiebreaker....currently....Russia +6, USA +16, Czechs -11.  Advantage USA.  If the USA and Russia both beat Sweden we would finish second because of H2H with Russia being a loss.  So the worst that the USA can finish is 3rd.....correct?  Check my work @The Sicatoka

If Russia loses to Sweden, the Czechs win, and the USA gets any type of point against Sweden it would mean Russia finishes fourth in the group and gets a likely showdown against Canada.....

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

So the worst that the USA can finish in their group is 3rd?  
1.  Sweden 6 pts.  Russia, USA.......Can finish 1,2,3
2. Russia 6 pts.  Sweden left......Can finish 1,2,3,4
3. USA 6 pts.  Sweden left......Can finsh 1,2,3
4. Czechs 3 pts.  Austria left....Can finish 3,4
5. Austria 0 pts.  Czechs........Can finish 4th. 

If the USA loses, the Czechs beat Austria, and Russia loses that would mean a three way tie for 2nd.  So then in tiebreaker one, head to head points between the three, they would all get 3 points in direct games because they all have a win and a loss.  So then it goes to the goal differential tiebreaker....currently....Russia +6, USA +16, Czechs -11.  Advantage USA.  If the USA and Russia both beat Sweden we would finish second because of H2H with Russia being a loss.  So the worst that the USA can finish is 3rd.....correct?  Check my work @The Sicatoka

If Russia loses to Sweden, the Czechs win, and the USA gets any type of point against Sweden it would mean Russia finishes fourth in the group and gets a likely showdown against Canada.....

I think this is correct.

I like my solution: SWE over RUS then USA over SWE (and the SWE streak ends). 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

2-1 after one for Mother Russia.  If they win I believe they win the group.

Interesting hockey info.  Jaromir Jagr chose to wear #68 in defiance of the Soviet Union.  Read that today.  

Why I put tied at 1 is beyond me. 
Did I hear that right? Sweden has won 54 regulation games in a row?

15 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Especially when it’s probably close to 7 totally different teams who have made that streak 

If I looked this up right:
Sweden’s last group round loss was to the USA on 12/31/2006 (3-2 in ot).  A kid named Toews was playing for Canada. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Sweden is all up in Russia's head in this one.  Normally its the Russians finding ways to aggravate you into penalties.  

Russia won't get any help from the Canadian officials.  They better just focus on hockey.  

2-2 going to the 3rd. 

The dude that did the slew foot could see some time off. That was cheap 

• Upvote 1