SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Quarter?

Cratter

Has the plans been finalized? Last I heard I think Roger Maris was in the running. I hope that doesn't fly, along with any other sports related picture, unless it's a Sioux Logo :angry::) . We all know ND is known for the buffalo and wide open spaces, but come on let's get something more creative. People want to drop the "north" from the name to help change the image, but look at a license plate that is seen around the country.....buffalo, wheat, and a prairie. :D Ideas?

I don't think a person can be used on the design.

A mosquito and a snowblower (possibly with a block heater) would be a pretty accurate depiction.

Edit- Obviously people can be used (such as Lincoln and Rodney), but I heard something about this on the radio last week why Maris couldn't be used. They said he didn't meet some criteria.

Here's the basic guidelines- Design Criteria- maybe it's the sports aspect that wouldn't allow Maris to be on the quarter.

Kansas has a buffalo?? Geez.....they don't even have a National Park with a wild herd of them.... :D I f you were to put a person on that defined the state you could go with Sakakawea except she is already on the dollar.....and it is tough to show scenery like the Badlands on there. How about a Snow Goose or something that shows the great wildlife that ND has. People travel from all over the country to hunt bird in ND....this is a tough one.

Then again, maybe we could just put the words "SNIRT" on it too..... :)

Kansas has a buffalo?? Geez.....they don't even have a National Park with a wild herd of them.... :D I f you were to put a person on that defined the state you could go with Sakakawea except she is already on the dollar.....and it is tough to show scenery like the Badlands on there. How about a Snow Goose or something that shows the great wildlife that ND has. People travel from all over the country to hunt bird in ND....this is a tough one.

Then again, maybe we could just put the words "SNIRT" on it too..... :)

I like the wildlife idea. I say put a pic of a wheatfield with pheasants flying over it. Who goes first between ND and SD? I could see SD wanting something similar. Also a pic of Teddy R. would be appropriate.

I like the wildlife idea. I say put a pic of a wheatfield with pheasants flying over it. Who goes first between ND and SD? I could see SD wanting something similar. Also a pic of Teddy R. would be appropriate.

I think ND was admitted into the union before SD (even though it was on the same day), so we should get to put our quarter out first, right?

• 4 weeks later...
I'd love to see a Sioux head logo on the ND quarter.  :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would never happen, and if it did, California and all of those overtly PC area's would protest the quarter, maybe even taking it upon themselves to try to destroy some of the ND quarters that would be minted. Hmmmm.... maybe not such a bad thing for you coin collectors out there, drive up the value of it. :angry::)

• 6 months later...

I'll take the geese. Kansas already has a buffalo for their quarter and there is also the new buffalo nickel. I'd also lose the cheesy sun and add some slogan, like "Natural Wonders" or something. These babies will be in circulation for 40-50 years, might as well get some good promo out of them.

We all know ND is known for the buffalo and wide open spaces, but come on let's get something more creative.  People want to drop the "north" from the name to help change the image, but look at a license plate that is seen around the country.....buffalo, wheat, and a prairie.  :D Ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess they want to stick with the same old image.....buffalo grazing an empty spacial prairie that is North Dakota. I'd vote for the Geese, but have a feeling the buffalo will win (see Forum online poll). Do bufallo still road free in western North Dakota because I know here in the east there doesn't seem to be to much of them.

I say put a bunch of skyscrapers on the coin or how about North Dakotas greatest builing...REA. :glare:

I guess they want to stick with the same old image.....buffalo grazing an empty spacial prairie that is North Dakota. I'd vote for the Geese, but have a feeling the buffalo will win (see Forum online poll). Do bufallo still road free in western North Dakota because I know here in the east there doesn't seem to be to much of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They do roam free in Teddy Roosevelt Park. Just ask the idiot who honked at one standing one the road. Final score: Buffalo 1, car 0. Drivers pants: not worth washing. :glare:

Growing up in west central ND, I take the buffalo (Note: not a bison) :D

I am disappointed. I am not a fan of either. Let's just show the rest of the country that all ND has to offer is empty spaces. Why not put something on there like the state capital building with a pic of sakakawea. It would show one of our most famous residents and our very unique capital.