SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the chances of UND getting the younger Genoway? Does anyone know if UND is actively recruiting him? What year in school is he?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Genoway is a senior, an 86 bday, about one and a half years older than Jonathan Toews.

There is a player on Shattuck's U-16 team named Brian Volpei. He currently has 191 points in 64 games. I know this is U-16 but those point numbers sound like he is a great player as he is leading his team by over 50 points. Anybody know of his talent breakdown or seen him play? Also i believe the Shattuck-North Dakota games are down on shattuck campus this weekend.

Or down the road the younger Toews, who is rated by hockeyscouting.ca as a top 3 1990 prospect for western canada.

http://www.hockeyscouting.ca/index.php?mod...b&tid=1&pid=955

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

His brother was supportive of Jon's decision to commit to UND. I think it is mentioned in an article when he first verballed to UND. If we treat Jon well and David wants college, I think we'd get the inside track on him.

There is a player on Shattuck's U-16 team named Brian Volpei. He currently has 191 points in 64 games. I know this is U-16 but those point numbers sound like he is a great player as he is leading his team by over 50 points. Anybody know of his talent breakdown or seen him play? Also i believe the Shattuck-North Dakota games are down on shattuck campus this weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Volpei is in 11th grade, so he must not be at the talent level as other's that are on the Prep team.

That would prettu cool if the Eagles kid came to UND. I wonder if he is any good. I am sure he is not to shaby. Anyone know of any other NHL'er kids that are close to graduated H.S. and looking forward to college. I know you got Bourges kid at BU and The Eagles kid 89" born just if any of the older NHl'ers have kids coming up.

That would prettu cool if the Eagles kid came to UND. I wonder if he is any good. I am sure he is not to shaby. Anyone know of any other NHL'er kids that are close to graduated H.S. and looking forward to college. I know you got Bourges kid at BU and The Eagles kid 89" born just if any of the older NHl'ers have kids coming up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, at this point in time he does not appear to be a reincarnation of the Eagle as his GAA was 5.79. However, he was on a very weak team and he is young so anything is still possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The North Dakota USA Hockey Select 89 and 87/88 teams played in Shattuck this past weekend (Sat and Sunday). The 87/88's played the Shattuck U16 (Minor Midget) team that is ranked in the top 4 or 5 in the country. On Saturday North Dakota beat Shattuck 5-3 despite the fact that ND received ten penalties to 5 for Shattuck. The refs in Shattuck each year are absolutely terrible (more to come on that). Brian Volpei had two assists. He is a strong skater and quite skilled. I would say that his point total does not mean much - in fact the point totals for most Shattuck players are somewhat misleading. They play 60+ games and many of the so-called AAA teams that they play are not very good as they often win games by 5, 6 or more goals. Nonetheless, they have some of the very best hockey players in North America and when you get that many great players together on one team it is hard for many teams to compete with them. It is a credit to the North Dakota players that they beat the U-16s. On Saturday night Team North Dakota (the high school seniors going to the Chicago Showcase) were supposed to play the Shattuck Prep Team - ranked #1 in the nation in Major midgets. They did not make the trip so the 87/88 team played them and put up a good fight for one period - which ended 2-0 in favor of Shattuck (with Chorney, Toews, Okposo, Brock, Esposito, Mosey, Genoway, Deeth, etc etc). It was the second game of the day for the 87/88s and the first for The Shattuck Preps. The game ended 9-0. The Prep team was a very classy group and very professional - not cheap at all. The 87s/88s had one penalty and the Prep team had four. Quite a difference from the U-16 game. The North Dakota 87/88s played the U-16s again on Sunday morning (today) and lost 7-2. Shattuck had four penalties and North Dakota had 12!!! The refs are a complete joke. If you are competitive with their teams you will get the homer job. That is one of the reasons why teams like Holy Angels will only play them on neutral ice. Anyway, great program and great players too bad about the officiating as their kids do not need that to win - well, I take that back - the U-16s probably needed it. Volpei had one goal in the second game. North Dakota had a nice mix of forwards and d-men with the following line combos (Mihulka, Weisgarber, Klenow; Willert, Dittus and Welding; Connell, Monson and Stremick with Benke filling in variously - Shane and Hillman were in net and the d-men were Andersen, Galt, Dingeman, Borlaug, and Graalum. Some of these kids (along with Mario Lamoureux) were on that ND 88s bantam team that were silver medalists in Orlando At the USA Hockey National Bantam Championships a few years ago.

This was the last weekend of games for the Shattuck teams before they fly out to nationals. It was the first weekend of games for the North Dakota kids as their teams were picked the week before.

Genoway would probably play a year of juniors before coming to UND if he came. Whats the word on where the selects play Shattuck?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A couple of random observations on Shattuck. According to Shattuck sources there are 7 or 8 seniors that they claim will go straight to D-I hockey schools. The obvious well known ones are Jonathon Toews to UND and Kyle Okposo to Minnesota. Toews looked outstanding and has the size, smarts and ability to be an impact player for the Sioux. Interesting though, Okposo was one heck of a force on the ice - a mass of solid muscle who moves incredibly well. Some players felt he was perhaps the strongest player on the ice. Angelo Esposito, the 89 from Montreal was impressive as well. The Shattuck Prep team has two North Dakota kids - Dallas Bossort from Bismarck and Brycen Eberwein from Grand Forks. Not to minimize Volpei - on the U16 team - he is a great player and will no doubt end up at a top D-I program.

Regarding Duncan's playoff points, Salmon Arm's season ended over the weekend with a series loss to the Prince George Spruce Kings. The Trees beat the Apes 4-2 in games.

Congratulations to Ryan Duncan on a terrific BCHL season. I did not know what to expect this year as he made the transition from SSM to the BCHL, but I guess Top 3 scorer wasn't on my list. I expected the junior play to be much rougher than the midget hockey he had been playing, and his size could have been a big factor. But he definitely produced. Congrats and I look forward to seeing another classic Sioux waterbug join the team next year.

The BCHL semifinals begin April 1, with Vernon playing Prince George, and Nanaimo taking on Surrey. I think Nanaimo and Vernon are considered the favorites.

A couple of random observations on Shattuck. According to Shattuck sources there are 7 or 8 seniors that they claim will go straight to D-I hockey schools. The obvious well known ones are Jonathon Toews to UND and Kyle Okposo to Minnesota. Toews looked outstanding and has the size, smarts and ability to be an impact player for the Sioux. Interesting though, Okposo was one heck of a force on the ice - a mass of solid muscle who moves incredibly well. Some players felt he was perhaps the strongest player on the ice. Angelo Esposito, the 89 from Montreal was impressive as well. The Shattuck Prep team has two North Dakota kids - Dallas Bossort from Bismarck and Brycen Eberwein from Grand Forks. Not to minimize Volpei - on the U16 team - he is a great player and will no doubt end up at a top D-I program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who looked good on the 87/88 selects?

Who looked good on the 87/88 selects?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, the kids played very well as a team. There was a lot of great puck movement and unselfish play - the kind you typically see when you get a select group together that respects one another. Considering they only had two practices under their belt and Shattuck's teams have seven months of practice and games the team play was even more remarkable. On the defensive side Erik Galt, Clark Dingeman, and Trevor Anderson played very well. The forwards used the d-men effectively and they were effective when they got the puck - 3 goals from the point in the first game. It looks like the coaches tried to keep kids together based on previous teams (high school or previous select teams). Weisgarber, Mihulka and Klenow played well and Willert, Dittus and Welding were very effective as well. Justin Connell and Ross Monson of Bismarck High also had a good weekend. It was a great team effort considering the level of opponent. Kelvin Shane stood on his head for the first period against the Prep team and shut them out for the first 15 minutes - no small task against their talented forwards. Jonathon Toews had one goal and two assists vs the 87/88s.