SiouxSports.com Forum

SiouxForever

I'm sure most of us having been watching "The Last Dance" on ESPN regarding the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan.

Phil Jackson obviously played at UND, made the all-rookie team in his first season in the NBA. In addition, won 2 NBA championships as a player and many more as an NBA coach.

So what is this guys high horse with University of North Dakota? To my knowledge he hasn't donated much or very little money to UND (I could be completely wrong too btw).

What is Phil's root issue with UND?

8 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

He was very much wanted the Fighting Sioux name/logo to disappear long before it did.  I know they have been trying to make inroads with him since the change but apparently haven't had any luck so far.

Sounds like a "my way or the highway type of guy" - what a loser! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Phil Jackson was back to Williston for his high school reunion. If memory serves me right it was his 40th reunion. The class social was held at a local motel.  I was not in his class but was in the building during the event. He stood in the lobby of the motel signing autographs for all adults and children who had heard he was there. 

The Williston HS BB auditorium is named Phil Jackson Field House

He also has a street named after him, Phil Jackson Way a major bypass, where there is  a billboard with his photo stating “Boyhood Home of Phil Jackson.  

All of course done with his permission.

He has given money to the Coyote Foundation  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

I'm sure most of us having been watching "The Last Dance" on ESPN regarding the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan.

Phil Jackson obviously played at UND, made the all-rookie team in his first season in the NBA. In addition, won 2 NBA championships as a player and many more as an NBA coach.

So what is this guys high horse with University of North Dakota? To my knowledge he hasn't donated much or very little money to UND (I could be completely wrong too btw).

What is Phil's root issue with UND?

“High horse”?  To your knowledge?  What knowledge?  Jackson hasn’t indicated he has an issue with UND. When he was last here he was very gracious. You haven’t the faintest idea what you are taking about. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

“High horse”?  To your knowledge?  What knowledge?  Jackson hasn’t indicated he has an issue with UND. When he was last here he was very gracious. You haven’t the faintest idea what you are taking about. 

That's why I am asking. Pretty odd, he hasn't given "any" money to UND basketball. Or maybe he has. I'm just asking. I know nothing! 

18 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I recall he has given money to UND. UND used to provide an annual summary of donors. He has been included in the past. 

You weren’t “just asking” you referred to him as a “loser”.  What the hell is the matter with you?  Who are you to judge the guy?  Your last sentence pretty much sums it up. 

I mean, don't take it out of context. I honestly don't firmly believe he is a loser, think of the "joke" in dumb and dumber or phrase., and I don't personally know him, so I won't judge. I do wish, Mr. Phil was more gracious and could have , should have helped out the UND basketball program  out a little more. Oh, wait, we needed Ralph and Betty to take care of that. Smh. 

Probably a case of some people dont give away large sums of money to certain organizations some people wish they would.

It happens.

Dont think Phil harbors any ill will toward UND. Otherwise probably wouldn't have come back and accepted the award.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SiouxForever said:

Climate change? Asking for a friend....

What about it?  I have no idea what he does with his money. It’s none of my business. It would be great if he gave a big donation to UND, but many people will delay their major donations until later in life. People’s idea of a major donation varies. How much does he need to give to meet your expectations?  Most people with tens of millions set up a trust. Maybe someday there will be money directed to UND for scholarships or another area important to Jackson. 

• Upvote 2

Never met Phil in my life but soooo much respect for his accomplishments .  I followed him in his HS senior year in the Class A tourney.  Big match up between Phil and Paul Presthus  from Rugby. They both matched up against each other played for the Class A tourney.  Presthus went to play at u of MN and Phil came to UND and played for Bill Fitch.  My last 2 years of HS I played for a coach who was a teammate in high school with Phil.  He gave me insight into Phil.  Later I played(rather walked on and still pulling slivers from my rear) basketball in college for a coach who was a teamate with Phil at UND.  I learned a lot more about basketball from Phil's Teammate and my coach in college.  The college coach used a style much like what Bill Fitch taught.  I followed Phil's UND basketball career and was so impressed.  He was draftees by the Minnesota Muskies and New York Knicks.  I remember remarking how crazy could he be giving up a chance to play with the Muskie rather than sit on the bench for the Knicks.  I watched all his games on TV when I could.  Head and shoulders as he was called.  Great defense he played and he had a spinal fusion ended his playing career early.  Phil took up coaching and developed semi pro teams into champions which is hard to do with a ever changing roster.  Finally became an asst coach for the Bulls and later head coach.  Much of the triangle offense was first started with Bill Fitch with the 1-4 offense which was used at UND with Fitch.  More developed with Phil and Tex Winter.  

Whatever Phil wants to do with his money is his business.  If he donates to UND great.  If not that is his business.  Either way UND is fortunate to have an alumni as successful as Phil.  Does an other university have an alumni  to win that many NBA championships .  Be thankful.  Phil received  a great education from UND.  A degree in Philosophy  as I remember from a book or two I read of his.  Never met Phil but proud to call him an UND Alumni.

• Upvote 2

Just be nice to see UND basketball improve both Men’s and Women’s moving forward and make the dance consistently. 

Not too many programs or Universities I should say can say they have a respected and pioneer of the game that is Phil Jackson. UND is lucky to have had him. 

Phil is Phil, in addition, it’s his money and his choice to spend, save, invest or donate his money. Just wish he “could” toss the program a bone. 

We’re very grateful for what the Englested’s have provided for the basketball program. Can’t overlook or thank them enough.

Be nice if Phil could add pieces in a unique way of some upgrades or something to The Betty. 

Speaking of The Betty, if Phil allocated idk, 1-2 million, what improvements are needed or could be explored at The Betty? I haven’t been in The Betty since  I worked for UND Athletics in my college days. 

#FightingSioux Alumnus. Sorry, Phil. 

Someone enlighten me?