SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-2) @ Milwaukee (3-1) 11/19 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

13 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Marlon..... out of control

I watched parts of this game, and UND has some good young pieces in place. I am not sure they will go very far this year with Stewart at point. His numbers will be ok, but his leadership is lacking. How many times a game does he miss a shot or think he was fouled and sulks about it rather than getting back on defense? Is there a second option at the point for UND? 

5 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I watched parts of this game, and UND has some good young pieces in place. I am not sure they will go very far this year with Stewart at point. His numbers will be ok, but his leadership is lacking. How many times a game does he miss a shot or think he was fouled and sulks about it rather than getting back on defense? Is there a second option at the point for UND? 

Not really.  Unless Panoam gets better in a hurry. 

UND has been fortunate in its recent history to have teams that had a number of players that relieve pressure. For example, the Jamal Webb, Aaron Anderson, Troy Huff team, all three could come get the ball if a team was taking one ofthe others away in the backcourt.  And if any of the 3 of them was being pressured on the perimeter in the front court...those 3 would drive that defender to the hoop.  Same could be said of Hooker, Crandall, and even Bernstine.  Now, the way I see it is that a team will take away Stewart in the backcourt but everyone is trying to get the ball back to him, because we don’t have too many good ball-handlers, and we get into our sets way late in the clock.  And it’s even worse if we haven’t got him the ball early in the front court. We just don’t have many guys that handle pressure particularly well in the above mentioned situations and it’s causing serious problems.  Not sure there is an immediate easy answer other than get better at handling the ball against pressure.  But our team is kind of is what it is, at this juncture

5 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Didn’t Jonsey boy orchestrated a beat down on these slugs last season.... Sather makes Jonsey look like Coach K...unbelievable 

I'm curious why you're so bitter about this.  No animosity from me to you, just genuinely curious.....

The question I have about Sather is can he coach this group of players and get them to winning or at least the potential to win a game.  If not were going to see massive changes next year and total rebuild of personnel which may lead to several years of loosing. The problem with that is can UND keep the program viable and attract players and fans back to the game.  I think Sather is old school basketball but problem with that is now at division I  basketball we have moved to the newer school of basketball where game starts from outside to develop the inside game. What I hear from him is the opposite which concerns me because the talent pool good division I players for small mid majors is the new school. I think Sather can be good coach but I believe he's on shorter leash than previous UND coaches because of need to get program rebuilt quicker to compete in the Summit conference. I also got to believe he's on learning curve to moving up division in basketball. I believe he can do this because he's been successful where he's been in the past. I sure hope they can give the resources that he will need to build successful program. Also getting back to coach Jones for all his naysayers you may find he was doing a lot  better job keeping this program together will less resources and the job he did will begin to appreciate in the future.