SiouxSports.com Forum

Miami @ UND -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

For perspective on another 7-1 game (we covered LSSU-BSU tonight, back at the Ralph for the finale) from the perspective of Lake state read this. Im posting this here to show that looking beyond the box score to see how thoroughly UND won is something not to take for granted. This game only had two penalties. Two pipes hit were the difference between LSSU making this a game and BSU getting three early and settling in, think about that for some perspective on the UND win. The Fighting Hawks played great, they need to play perfect, because within two hours of each other, Miami and LSSU are going to come out looking for any mistakes to capitalize on to win their finales. https://seamoresports.com/2019/11/09/opportunistic-bemidji-state-earns-7-1-victory-over-lake-superior-state/

7 hours ago, Oldguy said:

Having seen several games now, the team looks two or three notches better at passing and support than the last few seasons.  Puck possession is one thing, but the ability to keep your head on a swivel and connect in traffic looked terrific tonight, and at other times so far this season.

We haven't been real good at finding the trailer in recent years.  This team isn't great at it yet but much improved.

It was a great atmosphere last night. First time seeing the magnificent scoreboard. It's a space ship inside an arena. My friend has seats at ice level right behind the UND net (1st/3rd) and I found myself watching the game on the huge screen a lot.

Really enjoy how this team plays and the skill of so many players. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

After the past 2 seasons I feel I'm actually getting some ROI on my tickets from an entertainment value. This team is bringing fun back to the Ralph.

I wasn't there in person, but I can imagine watching UND pick corners consistently is fun to watch :)

Watching with a buddy, I tried to think back to how many times in the past two season we saw our team beat a goalie clean with a wicked wrist shot. I could think of less than 5. Tonight, I think we had 4.  

1 hour ago, shep said:

It was a great atmosphere last night. First time seeing the magnificent scoreboard. It's a space ship inside an arena. My friend has seats at ice level right behind the UND net (1st/3rd) and I found myself watching the game on the huge screen a lot.

Really enjoy how this team plays and the skill of so many players. 

It's fantastic to watch replays - however, most of the other time is spent broadcasting stupid advertising games and being used as a crowd dance cam.  They could make so much better use of this technology.

23 minutes ago, Irish said:

It's fantastic to watch replays - however, most of the other time is spent broadcasting stupid advertising games and being used as a crowd dance cam.  They could make so much better use of this technology.

Interested in how they could make so. Much better use of the scoreboard? Honest question - how and what do you envision 

16 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Interested in how they could make so. Much better use of the scoreboard? Honest question - how and what do you envision 

More things to keep the crowd fired up about the game - replaying good hits and plays (not just the goals), maybe coordinating cheers like the sieve chant, coordinating with the band.  It seems like every time the action stops, especially after a good Sioux shift, the crowd attention and energy is instantly drawn to some advertising "race" up on the screen.  I think they need to work on ways to get the crowd cheering and on their feet rather than chasing ad dollars.  I miss the crowd and energy of the Old Ralph where the whole arena was into it.  In my opinion, much of what is on the screen takes away from the crowd energy rather that adding to it.  After all the great plays last night I can't think of one time the crowd was on their feet and loud during a break in the action.  I'm sure if the focus changed from getting ad dollars many good ideas would come up.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's not about the big screen, it's about the 6,000 people in the new REA simply because it's the place to be. 

I agree with this - I'm not saying the big screen is the main problem - just saying it's not helping at all.

8 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's not about the big screen, it's about the 6,000 people in the new REA simply because it's the place to be. 

That's what happens when you double the arena size. Not everyone is going to be there because they're big hockey fans. That's just the way it is and it wont ever change. I'd rather have the 6k people that are casual fans then have the upper bowl mostly empty on one side like last night(I know it was opener wkd but just sayin)