SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSUCKS Dump Thread

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, John W. said:

It gets worse for Aggies....now from Philly ..reports that teammates love Froles....not so much..Wentz...cites selfishness and arrogance....AGGIE FB 'arrogant'....that's an understatement....but in fairness so is UND hockey....not FB BB or other sports...you can have a successful sports program w/o being that....Stanford comes to mind...successful  women's and men's programs...but generally well respected....

Now? You mean a couple of weeks ago? And what of the high profile teammates that said the article was false?

1 hour ago, John W. said:

It gets worse for Aggies....now from Philly ..reports that teammates love Froles....not so much..Wentz...cites selfishness and arrogance....AGGIE FB 'arrogant'....that's an understatement....but in fairness so is UND hockey....not FB BB or other sports...you can have a successful sports program w/o being that....Stanford comes to mind...successful  women's and men's programs...but generally well respected....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

If looking at the situation using logic, motive, and corroborating comments from others who have been through the ndsu football program doesn't work for you, i guess you can just call it holding their comments in "high regard".

Not sure of the answer to your riddle.  Seems irrelevant as long as ndsu refuses to come clean on the situation.  

Notice in the original article Brock said somebody within the program supplied it, and he had no idea it contained a banned substance.   Caffeine is not a banned substance.  It is a regulated substance.     If word choice matters (which admittedly is debatable given these are all ndsu folks) then I have a hard time believing the new narrative that it was caffeine.  

Actually it is:

Some Examples of NCAA Banned Substances in Each Drug Class

There is NO complete list of banned substances.

Do not rely on this list to rule out any label ingredient.

1. Stimulants:

amphetamine (Adderall); caffeine (guarana); cocaine; ephedrine; methamphetamine; methylphenidate (Ritalin); synephrine (bitter orange); dimethylamylamine (DMAA, methylhexanamine); “bath salts” (mephedrone); Octopamine; hordenine; dimethylbutylamine (DMBA, AMP, 4-amino methylpentane citrate); phenethylamines (PEAs); dimethylhexylamine (DMHA, Octodrine) etc.

7 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

Actually it is:

Some Examples of NCAA Banned Substances in Each Drug Class

There is NO complete list of banned substances.

Do not rely on this list to rule out any label ingredient.

1. Stimulants:

amphetamine (Adderall); caffeine (guarana); cocaine; ephedrine; methamphetamine; methylphenidate (Ritalin); synephrine (bitter orange); dimethylamylamine (DMAA, methylhexanamine); “bath salts” (mephedrone); Octopamine; hordenine; dimethylbutylamine (DMBA, AMP, 4-amino methylpentane citrate); phenethylamines (PEAs); dimethylhexylamine (DMHA, Octodrine) etc.

"In high amounts, it can lead to testing positive for a banned substance."

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Caffeine and Athletic Performance.pdf

26 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Like I said it's a banned substance. You said it wasn't. It says right in the article you linked under Potential Risks that "Caffeine is a banned substance by the NCAA."

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

According to the article.  A player would limit out at around 6- 8 cups of coffee.  Looking on-line a player would exceed the limit with 3 5-hour energies or 5 red bulls.  I don't think 1 5-hour energy is the culprit here.  These players by normal standards are 'big' and with how fast their bodies are running during a full game, I would assume you'd really have to load up to fail a drug test based on caffeine levels.  My heart races at 100 mg........500 mgs is a lot.

16 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

Like I said it's a banned substance. You said it wasn't. It says right in the article you linked under Potential Risks that "Caffeine is a banned substance by the NCAA."

And here's your entire quote:

Caffeine is a banned substance by the NCAA. A urinary caffeine concentration exceeding 15 micrograms per milliliter (corresponding to ingesting about 500 milligrams, the equivalent of six to eight cups of brewed coffee, two to three hours before competition) results in a positive drug test.

I take that to mean it is banned once exceeding 15 micrograms per millileter.  Maybe i'm interpreting it wrong.  

Just now, gundy1124 said:

According to the article.  A player would limit out at around 6- 8 cups of coffee.  Looking on-line a player would exceed the limit with 3 5-hour energies or 5 red bulls.  I don't think 1 5-hour energy is the culprit here.  These players by normal standards are 'big' and with how fast their bodies are running during a full game, I would assume you'd really have to load up to fail a drug test based on caffeine levels.  My heart races at 100 mg........500 mgs is a lot.

The supplement in question has 250 mgs per serving. So if a kid took a double shot and was tested shortly after, remember the NCAA could test before during or after a game, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he would test positive. 

1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

And here's your entire quote:

Caffeine is a banned substance by the NCAA. A urinary caffeine concentration exceeding 15 micrograms per milliliter (corresponding to ingesting about 500 milligrams, the equivalent of six to eight cups of brewed coffee, two to three hours before competition) results in a positive drug test.

I take that to mean it is banned once exceeding 15 micrograms per millileter.  Maybe i'm interpreting it wrong.  

Still a banned substance. I don't know what else to tell you, it's pretty black and white. There are limits on a lot of banned substances, these are found in everything we consume and in our bodies in general. That's why certain levels are required for a positive test result.

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Right, that's what I was thinking in terms of coffee or 5 hour energy amounts.   

It just seems like it is so easy to regulate, I find it hard to believe the kid accidentally OD'd on 5 hour energy.  

7 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

Still a banned substance. I don't know what else to tell you, it's pretty black and white. There are limits on a lot of banned substances, these are found in everything we consume and in our bodies in general. That's why certain levels are required for a positive test result.

Ok.  I was under the impression the vast majority of substances on the ncaa list were zero tolerance, and that only caffeine and possibly a couple others were regulated.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Ugh, this is taking forever.  Can't this process speed up to the time when they invoke postseasons bans and take away scholorships, wins, and National Championships?!!  That's what we all want to happen here!! ;):D

Yea, this'll happen as soon as the NCAA ban-hammer comes down on North Carolina basketball and Ohio State football.  :lol:

33 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

So if you tested for caffeine at a urinary concentration of less than 15 micrograms per milliliter (the NCAA limit) you're acceptable. As you say, black and white. 

Thus caffeine is regulated, not banned, by the NCAA's own (mis)statements and stated limits. 

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Yea, this'll happen as soon as the NCAA ban-hammer comes down on North Carolina basketball and Ohio State football.  :lol:

Isn't there some old one-liner that the NCAA was so mad at Ohio State that they put Youngstown on three years probation. 

2 hours ago, North Dakota said:

thinking about this some more...probably too much....but, what are some examples of other ncaa banned substances that are regulated by the ncaa like caffeine is?   Could I have some meth or cocaine in my system?  Some steroids?   what substances do they regulate?

48 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

I'm guessing everything they test for has to meet a certain level before it's a "positive" result.

that doesn’t address my question though.  Maybe I should phrase it differently.   Are there lower detectable levels of other ‘banned’ substances that do not result in punishment?   Or is it only caffeine and perhaps testosterone that are regulated?