SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

I'm not a big fire the coach guy as soon as something goes wrong but I think the last two years have seen a pretty steady downturn in the level of hockey UND is playing. This weekend tops it off for me as I think you have to make a change. If they wanna keep him through the end of the year and let him finish the season fine but somebody should be getting in touch with Hakstol right away and letting him know at the end of the year the job is yours if you want it. I'm so sick of hearing the same old crap from Brad Berry. Your team just was swept by a terrible irrelevant Canisius team and you talk about playing the right way and how people are gonna say mean things in the post game interview. It is a bottom line business Brad and yours doesn't look very good at all. I don't care whether you play the right way or not if you are getting swept by a program half the country doesn't even know exists. You have had plenty of time to make changes and instill some discipline back in this program but instead you are too worried about being buddies with the players and don't want to make difficult decisions. Good leaders have to make difficult decisions because it is the best thing for their program. Time to bring back somebody we know will do that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SiouxScore said:

I'm not a big fire the coach guy as soon as something goes wrong but I think the last two years have seen a pretty steady downturn in the level of hockey UND is playing. This weekend tops it off for me as I think you have to make a change. If they wanna keep him through the end of the year and let him finish the season fine but somebody should be getting in touch with Hakstol right away and letting him know at the end of the year the job is yours if you want it. I'm so sick of hearing the same old crap from Brad Berry. Your team just was swept by a terrible irrelevant Canisius team and you talk about playing the right way and how people are gonna say mean things in the post game interview. It is a bottom line business Brad and yours doesn't look very good at all. I don't care whether you play the right way or not if you are getting swept by a program half the country doesn't even know exists. You have had plenty of time to make changes and instill some discipline back in this program but instead you are too worried about being buddies with the players and don't want to make difficult decisions. Good leaders have to make difficult decisions because it is the best thing for their program. Time to bring back somebody we know will do that.

Bingo, only thing I worry about is losing recruits.  We’ve really whiffed on a bunch of potentials 

49 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Berry post game:

-People are gonna say mean things.

In Brad's defense, it was Hennessy who said this one.

Hennessy was basically saying people are going to say mean things. It was like he was implying people will say this teams sucks, but he knows better than they do.

Hennessy was also making excuses while Brad was answering questions....things like, "You guys did everything you could tonight."

10 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Going 0-5 on the powerplay didn’t help. Was Shaw behind the USA bench?

No USA actually got the puck in the zone with possession and created some chances and we know that doesn't happen on Shaw's powerplays. Although a couple whiffs on beautiful backdoor feeds did look reminiscent of something I had seen before.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Hennessey was also making excuses while Brad was answering questions....things like, "You guys did everything you could tonight."

Hennessey could work part-time as the voice of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea with the way he spins things.  Yea, real heroic effort tonight against the juggernaut from Canisius College.  Honest to goodness, Tim, I'd expect a UND sweep at the hands of Moorhead High School before I would Canisius College.  Canisius effing College.  

• Upvote 3

USA's 0-5 on the PP and UND's 0-5 on the PP were not the same thing.  It felt like USA could have scored on just about any of them.  Movement with the puck, movement without the puck, movement of the puck, great passing, good shots.  Just didn't get one in....well they did, but a murderous call brought that one back.

UND stands still while attempting to pass the puck around the perimeter, all while getting attacked because no one has the skill to beat a man with the puck.  If you have any sort of skill, people can't pressure you because you can beat them positionally and create big-time chances.  No one sits back in a box in fear of our PP, they are in total attack mode.

2 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

USA's 0-5 on the PP and UND's 0-5 on the PP were not the same thing.  It felt like USA could have scored on just about any of them.  Movement with the puck, movement without the puck, movement of the puck, great passing, good shots.  Just didn't get one in....well they did, but a murderous call brought that one back.

UND stands still while attempting to pass the puck around the perimeter, all while getting attacked because no one has the skill to beat a man with the puck.  If you have any sort of skill, people can't pressure you because you can beat them positionally and create big-time chances.  No one sits back in a box in fear of our PP, they are in total attack mode.

Yah, opponents have us pegged.....they show absolutely no fear when we go on the PP. 

6 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

USAs pp was loaded with 1st rounders....those boys have skill.

18 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

There's a thread for the World Junior wrap-up, folks.  Let's weed out some of that stuff so when Coach Berry reads this later, he won't have to muddle thru the side-bar conversation.  

He's Canadian, probably was cheering for Finland. 

5 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

No doubt.  Even UND's best teams don't have the skill that this USA had.  However, USA played Finland.  UND played Canisius.

Canisius College?  Hennessey had me thinking UND was playing the Washington Capitals.  My bad.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Godsmack said:

Curious: What would Hak be saying publicly if he were the coach right now. Would he be showing some anger and frustration or would he be engaging in the typical coach speak? 

The same things. Might throw some guys under the bus as well.

1 minute ago, Godsmack said:

Curious: What would Hak be saying publicly if he were the coach right now. Would he be showing some anger and frustration or would he be engaging in the typical coach speak? 

Press Conferences after losses with Hakstol weren't much fun. Usually, Virg and Brad asked the questions and we just went with that. He rarely if ever took a player to task in a post-game press conference. That was done behind doors. 

11 minutes ago, Goon said:

Press Conferences after losses with Hakstol weren't much fun. Usually, Virg and Brad asked the questions and we just went with that. He rarely if ever took a player to task in a post-game press conference. That was done behind doors. 

Well, to be fair, Berry is probably giving the boys a stern lecture in between post-game keg stands with them...

• Upvote 2