SiouxSports.com Forum

Still think the Ralph needs

Fetch

54 minutes ago, Fetch said:

A AHL Team from either Winnipeg or Minnesota  or Chicago  - Call them the Fighting Sioux 

So less money and people at UND home games because they’d be spending their money and going to an AHL game. Then UND would have to schedule their home game around the AHL teams schedule, that mean games on days like the B1G does. Then the AHL team would be the priority at the REA, well, because of money.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

What the Ralph really needs:

A new video/score board of NHL quality.

One ice projection system that the NHL has, used to win improve the game day/fan experience.

I feel the scoreboard might be a lomg hold out due to sioux logo underneath, but agree time for an update 

54 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is so dumb. The religion of the Fighting Sioux nickname.... 

The Fighting Sioux religion, well said.

It's pretty embarrassing folks. 

"You are in Fighting Sioux Country" huge flag is still up at the Ralph, even though that hasn't been our name for many years.  The Sioux logos on the outside of the Ralph are starting to fade.  "Sioux Forever" chants, fans wearing Hawks gear are treated like Gopher fans at the Ralph.  My solution:  I have avoided going to games.  It's just not fun anymore.

Jody H., Brad Berry, et al. need to take a long hard look at things this off season.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I feel the scoreboard might be a lomg hold out due to sioux logo underneath, but agree time for an update 

This would not surprise me in the slightest. Pathetic is the only word that comes to mind. There's a lot more to life than a nickname and logo that we no longer use.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

The Fighting Sioux religion, well said.

It's pretty embarrassing folks. 

"You are in Fighting Sioux Country" huge flag is still up at the Ralph, even though that hasn't been our name for many years.  The Sioux logos on the outside of the Ralph are starting to fade.  "Sioux Forever" chants, fans wearing Hawks gear are treated like Gopher fans at the Ralph.  My solution:  I have avoided going to games.  It's just not fun anymore.

Jody H., Brad Berry, et al. need to take a long hard look at things this off season.

Fact is you are in Fighting Sioux country because the Spirit Lake Nation is 90 miles to the west. By yeah, the Sioux Forever crow is getting stale.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Here's a thought. How about instead of an AHL team we have a professional women's team called the Fighting Sioux. They can play their home games at Riverside Park. 

Are they funded by USA Hockey?

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

What the Ralph really needs:

A new video/score board of NHL quality.

One ice projection system that the NHL has, used to win improve the game day/fan experience.

Didn't Schlossman say next on the update list is the video board wrapping the lower bowl?

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Didn't Schlossman say next on the update list is the video board wrapping the lower bowl?

Makes sense.  That and the locker rooms are two years old now so may want to get the architect churning on those, as well.  

4 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Makes sense.  That and the locker rooms are two years old now so may want to get the architect churning on those, as well.  

It's the same ribbon board since the opening of the Ralph, but don't let facts stand in your rants. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

It's the same video board since the opening of the Ralph, but don't let facts stand in your rants. 

I think I remember the actual screens were replaced since construction of the scoreboard. 

Other than updating the resolution of the video panels, I don't see a need to replace the whole frame.  The new big ones are ugly and you can see the video boards great from anywhere in the ralph.  The bigger video boards distract from the game and reduce the visibility of other areas of the arena. 

If youre gonna do a team, schedule games on the off weeks of und hockey.. you have 2 levels, also you can play echl hockey and get in the division with rapid city or play ahl puck. ECHL is cheaper and with more control. Sell cheap tickets, sell tickets to students, have cheep beer nights, cheap merch nights and sell 5 dollar group tickets in order to drive turn out. ECHL hockey is good hockey and does not require a membership fee like the ahl.. heck maybe winnepeg would move their affiliation to us since they could bus their prospects between us and Manitoba (vs flying them from jacksonville!) and winnepeg  could maybe kick in some of the costs. The team practices at another rink in town when there is a home and home weekend, UND still gets first priority. There is nothing wrong with the REA trying to work with an NHL squad and make some money on the periphery, have one dollar pack the house nights, donate tickets to charities in the area. My juniors team i worked for (the Indiana Ice) got 14,100 people to show up for pack the house night where the pacers play because we worked with local businesses and helped them donate tickets to local charities and we still made money. Get 5 ticket sales people and have them sell to every group from here to fargo and beyond. Minor league hockey can co-exist with UND and maybe there could be some co-branding opportunities. Just some thoughts to run minor league hockey well here from someone whose worked in hockey for a bit. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

on ice projection is on the radar but its like 1 million for the system 

This would be amazing and way better than a new scoreboard.  That said, I think money should be put into the Betty.  Taller bleachers, upgraded players areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Fact is you are in Fighting Sioux country because the Spirit Lake Nation is 90 miles to the west. By yeah, the Sioux Forever crow is getting stale.

Not relevant.  We are an institution of higher learning with athletic teams that compete at the Division I level.  Not sure how  UND Fighting Hawks ties into an indian reservation near Devils Lake, ND.

• Upvote 1