SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Candidate for UCF President's Job

fightingsioux4life

32 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Another med school in North Dakota would be one of those programs that "sells out instantly" as their are more students trying to get into Medical School around the country than there are open spots.

If NDSU pushed hard enough, I wouldn't be totally surprised if in 15-20 years they got one.

It would compliment their School of Nursing nicely.

NDSU: "Sanford gave us a very large donation to help us get this project up and running, with our massive population grow, growing need for medical care, and the lack of available slots at UND, now is the perfect time for a NDSU medical school...all we need now is a "little" money from the state."

Ya built with private unmamed sources near that a lot lately. If Sanford builds it again private money who could complain about that. Human nature tells us without a doubt every community wants things they don’t have.

Elephant in the room is how the Bismarck politicians have been trying to change the state constitution to get there town into the higher education economic bonanza. They won’t quit until Bismarck State has everything SU and UND have. Heard a radio talk guy say if Bismarck State goes 4 year kids west of  Jamestown and Devils Lake are all Bismarck bound if they offer there major.

Does Bismarck scare the Fargo guys more than GF.  How hard are trying to keep Bismarck State a 2 year? The question is what would a 4 year Bismarck State do to SU and UND? And if Bismarck State did go 4 year you know they would do the same thing SU has done. Keep pushing winning and complaining until they got what they wanted.

Interesting discussions. Does Pres Kennedy have the ability to keep our enrollment competitive with NDSU, I'm not sure? It's like he has this attitude of less government, smaller Universities, and greener pastures.  UND took a major financial hit and I've only seen him shoot one arrow back, and that was in the GF Hearld mail bag.

Now, with most important thing of the day, hockey game in 3 hours.

48 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Ya built with private unmamed sources near that a lot lately. If Sanford builds it again private money who could complain about that. Human nature tells us without a doubt every community wants things they don’t have.

Elephant in the room is how the Bismarck politicians have been trying to change the state constitution to get there town into the higher education economic bonanza. They won’t quit until Bismarck State has everything SU and UND have. Heard a radio talk guy say if Bismarck State goes 4 year kids west of  Jamestown and Devils Lake are all Bismarck bound if they offer there major.

Does Bismarck scare the Fargo guys more than GF.  How hard are trying to keep Bismarck State a 2 year? The question is what would a 4 year Bismarck State do to SU and UND? And if Bismarck State did go 4 year you know they would do the same thing SU has done. Keep pushing winning and complaining until they got what they wanted.

Have already stated that UMary is a school to watch out for.  They increase medical programs all over the state and enroll kids in engineering where they finish out at UND.  This is only the beginning and they don’t have a legislature putting limits on them.

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Have already stated that UMary is a school to watch out for.  They increase medical programs all over the state and enroll kids in engineering where they finish out at UND.  This is only the beginning and they don’t have a legislature putting limits on them.

UMary Fargo Med School?

9 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

If your not talking about it your forgetting about it. Your a polotical guy. You listen to the politicians they say the same things over and over until they get there way. 

13 minutes ago, moser53 said:

UMary Fargo Med School?

Think it would Bismarck, but Fargo is possible.  But even if it happens, UND Med School would be preferable for years.  It would likely be an Osteopathic Med School for UMary, which is cheaper.  The same goes for a law school.  UMary can start one anytime.  State U’s can’t.  

6 minutes ago, moser53 said:

If your not talking about it your forgetting about it. Your a polotical guy. You listen to the politicians they say the same things over and over until they get there way. 

I don’t listen to politicians much because they so want more government control, especially on one side of the aisle.  I prefer business type visionaries, because the things they want actually will end up working.

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

Think it would Bismarck, but Fargo is possible.  But even if it happens, UND Med School would be pfererable for years.  The same goes for a law school.  UMary can start one anytime.  State U’s can’t.  

Don’t think you would argue this point. Both Fargo and  Bismarck  have guys who sit around and plan big. Grand Forks doesn’t have that group. Nobody here says a peep when GFs getting screwed. 10 Million in local tax payer dollars to pay for state roads. Not a peep from the local guys. 

4 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Don’t think you would argue this point. Both Fargo and  Bismarck  have guys who sit around and plan big. Grand Forks doesn’t have that group. Nobody here says a peep when GFs getting screwed. 10 Million in local tax payer dollars to pay for state roads. Not a peep from the local guys. 

You throw out a lot of numbers with nothing to back them up even though people have asked. Can you provide anything that proves the figures you're throwing around?

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Here is my understanding: UND had cut back significantly if not completely (in certain areas) on sending recruiters to meet with guidance counselors and students in their schools in Minnesota, specifically the MSP area. I think if you look at the number of Minnesota students over the year, you'll see a correlation with dropping enrollment from there. That strategy on that has changed in the last 18 months.

Even if you are 100% correct, that may well correlate to UND's academic quality initiative and the cut-backs could have been at underperforming schools.  And it's a huge stretch to imply that a HS guidance counselor in the Twin Cities with 100s of students to place will somehow 'forget' about UND because they personally haven't been as aggressively courted by UND as in the past.

Now, if somebody believes that UND has been blacklisted by certain high schools in the metro, that would be an interesting conversation, ESPECIALLY if it's because UND isn't selling hard enough.

And ALL of this assumes that traditional recruiting methods are still even relevant.  I suspect that today's 15-18 year olds are being marketed to and reached in ways that you and I cannot even fathom.  (For me, it was the endless barrage of physical mailings from schools all over the midwest beginning in 9th or 10th grade.) 

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You throw out a lot of numbers with nothing to back them up even though people have asked. Can you provide anything that proves the figures you're throwing around?

Not so many numberes. Lots of theories. When the Mayor  and Feland were on the radio I asked them about the 10 Million and they varafied it. The city of GF has rarely complained about how the state has funded projects especially roads. As an old employee of GF once told me. We don’t complain much because we worry about UNDs funding. 

Now it’s UNDs cuts and no money for roads what do we have to lose. Hold a press conference and publically embarrass them. But that would take a guy like me who’s retired and can’t lose there job. Then again maybe they could go after your retirement.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Another med school in North Dakota would be one of those programs that "sells out instantly" as their are more students trying to get into Medical School around the country than there are open spots.

If NDSU pushed hard enough, I wouldn't be totally surprised if in 15-20 years they got one.

It would compliment their School of Nursing nicely.

NDSU: "Sanford gave us a very large donation to help us get this project up and running, with our massive population grow, growing need for medical care, and the lack of available slots at UND, now is the perfect time for a NDSU medical school...all we need now is a "little" money from the state."

Will a college campus even exist in 15-20 years?  Education as a whole will look entirely different.  

2 minutes ago, homer said:

Will a college campus even exist in 15-20 years?  Education as a whole will look entirely different.  

Do you mean will UND exist in 8 years. The wrecking ball is on campus just keep going. 

• Downvote 4

11 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Do you mean will UND exist in 8 years. The wrecking ball is on campus just keep going. 

Not just UND.  Education, especially professional education will change dramatically in the next 10-20 years.  

Even programs that may be "online resistant" may see a huge change in how people are trained or how the job is done. 

First college to figure out how.......wins.

8 minutes ago, homer said:

Not just UND.  Education, especially professional education will change dramatically in the next 10-20 years.  

Even programs that may be "online resistant" may see a huge change in how people are trained or how the job is done. 

When Fargo and the High Ed Board put Tony Grinberg on the School of Science Staff they have it figured out. Train school kids in Fargo and they will stay in Fargo. Is that kind of education the future for many of our youth?

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:48 PM, homer said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  This not only applies to education but everything.  Tech and online is changing our society very fast.  Just a few years ago Christmas shopping online was small as well as Amazon.  Not Shopping malls and retail stores are closing.  Hell you can even buy mattresses online.  I say much the winner will have it figured out in 10 years and the loser in 20 years.

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2018 at 2:28 PM, homer said:

On 3/16/2018 at 2:48 PM, homer said:

Thank you Governor Burgum. Microsoft thanks you for your support. :silly:

34 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Thank you Governor Burgum. Microsoft thanks you for your support. :silly:

Question about online University's. Are many private. Is there big mmoney to be made in this. If UND goes in that direction the state not the school would profit from that. Will there be less and less kids coming to GF to fuel our econommy. NDSU wants kids on cammpus in town spending $. 700 more freshman on campus at SU than UND this year. Like the commercial on TV says. You see it don't you.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  This not only applies to education but everything.  Tech and online is changing our society very fast.  Just a few years ago Christmas shopping online was small as well as Amazon.  Not Shopping malls and retail stores are closing.  Hell you can even buy mattresses online.  I say much the winner will have it figured out in 10 years and the loser in 20 years.

I disagree. 

Cut your "10" and "20" in half each. Then I'll agree. ;) 

Dear moser,

701 293-9000
701 271-1100
701 237-5346

Better yet, ... 
800 618-8255
888 673-3700

They're waiting for you. Call. It's for diversity. Share your vast insights with far greater masses. 

Come back and tell us how it went ... in a decade or two. 

On 3/16/2018 at 2:23 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Even if you are 100% correct, that may well correlate to UND's academic quality initiative and the cut-backs could have been at underperforming schools.  And it's a huge stretch to imply that a HS guidance counselor in the Twin Cities with 100s of students to place will somehow 'forget' about UND because they personally haven't been as aggressively courted by UND as in the past.

Now, if somebody believes that UND has been blacklisted by certain high schools in the metro, that would be an interesting conversation, ESPECIALLY if it's because UND isn't selling hard enough.

And ALL of this assumes that traditional recruiting methods are still even relevant.  I suspect that today's 15-18 year olds are being marketed to and reached in ways that you and I cannot even fathom.  (For me, it was the endless barrage of physical mailings from schools all over the midwest beginning in 9th or 10th grade.) 

It's only one data point, but Totino-Grace Class of 2017 sent about 30 kids to NDSU, 5 to UND.  Not an underperforming school by any measure.   This is out of a class of about 200.  Maybe they were all football fans?