SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:23 PM, UND Fan said:

More so than in the past, it appears we are going head-to-head with other FCS programs for some really talented kids.  The latest:

LB Luke Weertz, 6'2", 230, 4.8, Batavia (Batavia), IL  Has offers from IN St, SIU, UNI, NDSU, E KY, Ball St & Cornell

LB Luke Dwyer, 6'2", 200, 4.8, Lake Zurich (Lake Zurich), IL  Has offers from W IL, NDSU, SIU, IN St & E KY

Weertz commited to the Bison a couple of days ago, Dwyer today.  Two very good players from IL!

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

Weertz commited to the Bison a couple of days ago, Dwyer today.  Two very good players from IL!

I assume these guys are running better than 4.8 or project to.  You can't play LB effectively with a 4.8 40 in college, FCS.  Better speed up or move to DE, but 6' 2" is a little borderline for DE,  230 is great size heading into Sr. yr.  200 isn't too bad either I guess, nothing too impressive.

So these guys are right in the ball park for FCS players.  Let's not hyperventilate.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I assume these guys are running better than 4.8 or project to.  You can't play LB effectively with a 4.8 40 in college, FCS.  Better speed up or move to DE, but 6' 2" is a little borderline for DE,  230 is great size heading into Sr. yr.  200 isn't too bad either I guess, nothing too impressive.

So these guys are right in the ball park for FCS players.  Let's not hyperventilate.

Nick DeLuca runs a 4.8. He wasn't too bad of a college linebacker. Do you think he played effectively at the FCS level? Probably could have played at a lot of P5 schools and very well may make an NFL roster this season. But I guess he wouldn't have been good enough to play UND. You need to react quickly to your reads and be quick to the ball to play LB. You don't really need great straight line speed. 

3 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Nick DeLuca runs a 4.8. He wasn't too bad of a college linebacker. Do you think he played effectively at the FCS level? Probably could have played at a lot of P5 schools and very well may make an NFL roster this season. But I guess he wouldn't have been good enough to play UND. You need to react quickly to your reads and be quick to the ball to play LB. You don't really need great straight line speed. 

Really hope he can make it. Sucks to see kids like that get injured in college the way ya he did.

We continue to hit IL hard.  New offers:

Kendric Nowling, 6'1”, 190, Chicago (Marist), IL Has offers from UNI, W IL, Georgetown & SDSU

WR Matt Judd, 6'2", 200, 4.4, Frankfort (Lincoln Way - East), IL  

RB Luke Skokna, 5'9", 175, 4.4, Hinsdale (Central), IL  Has offers from W IL & Brown

7 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Ok Professor-

I bet Deluca is a 4.55 hand held.

If these kids are 4.8 fully automatic that is actually not too bad.  But 4.8 hand held is pretty much carrying a piano.  

So no, a 4.8 hand held isn't going to step in at FCS.  But I am sure you know all this.  The way recruiting is, who reports their slowest possible time....???

Continue fondling your Deluca fat head poster.

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Ok Professor-

If these kids are 4.8 fully automatic that is actually not too bad.  But 4.8 hand held is pretty much carrying a piano.  

So no, a 4.8 hand held isn't going to step in at FCS.  But I am sure you know all this.  The way recruiting is, who reports their slowest possible time....???

Deluca has slowed down quite a bit from his injuries though.  Seems to be missing a step from where he was as a soph and junior. To convert combine times to hand you subtract .1 seconds as a rule of thumb. To full auto like UND does it you add .1 seconds. 

Anyway, I hope to see us start winning more battles.

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Deluca has slowed down quite a bit from his injuries though.  Seems to be missing a step from where he was as a soph and junior. To convert combine times to hand you subtract .1 seconds as a rule of thumb. To full auto like UND does it you add .1 seconds. 

A lot of variables.  I always heard .2 to start just due to human reaction time on the start, sound.  .1 if on the flash.

Anyway, if we get a LB, 4.8, and it's handheld, I won't be thrilled unless 6' 3" or taller and has a frame for DE.

24 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Overall, I got a thrill up my leg watching Deluca play as a fan of football.

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

A lot of variables.  I always heard .2 to start just due to human reaction time on the start, sound.  .1 if on the flash.

Anyway, if we get a LB, 4.8, and it's handheld, I won't be thrilled unless 6' 3" or taller and has a frame for DE.

They timed 40s at the combine the way we do it one year and the times were so slow that they switched to a hand start and laser finish. 

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Ok Professor-

Well I stand corrected. I guess Klieman and his staff don't have a clue what they are doing. But I guess these kids have a lot of schools and staffs fooled, even the Almighty Bubba, so I guess they shouldn't feel too bad. 

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I don’t care about some other team’s guy’s 40 time. 

Where are my offensive linemen. That’s all that matters. 

You aren't getting many good ones. Period.

Rudolph and Knauf have shown enough to know what to expect. 

18 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Well I stand corrected. I guess Klieman and his staff don't have a clue what they are doing. But I guess these kids have a lot of schools and staffs fooled, even the Almighty Bubba, so I guess they shouldn't feel too bad. 

That's what I said?  OK.......

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Exactly.  OL recruiting has gotten worse every year almost.  What are they doing?

Last years class seemed to have some potential, Slater leaving really hurts though.   Grady and Slater leaving.....or when any kid leaves I don't fully put that on the coaches.  Hard to totally predict how a kid is going to react to college and being away from home etc., but in the end it's up to the coaches to get the right players and have them stay.  We need some home runs on the OL recruiting.

5 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

That's what I said?  OK.......

Actually you said these two kids are too slow and have no chance to play LB at the FCS level. I would say 15 FCS coaches in one case and in the other just as many  FCS, FBS and even a couple of P5 schools disagree with you. Even your head coach would disagree with you.  I would take their talent evaluation skills over yours. 

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

Actually you said these two kids are too slow and have no chance to play LB at the FCS level. I would say 15 FCS coaches in one case and in the other just as many  FCS, FBS and even a couple of P5 schools disagree with you. Even your head coach would disagree with you.  I would take their talent evaluation skills over yours. 

Calm down, man. Those recruits are good players and will likely contribute just fine for the fargo buffaloes. Be happy your favorite cow college got a couple highly sought after players and stop being so insecure. Now please let us continue with *UND's* 2019 recruiting class. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

A player can shave 2, maybe 3 10ths in college, which wouldn't make them too slow.  I figured with 6 Natty's in 7 years you guys would be bringing in guys that size that are burners.  Goes to show how much player development goes into SU's success. 

So.... what does the his lawsuit, filed by 11 former women’s hockey team, do for recruiting for all sports?  They have a good lawyer. Stated UND had “repeated failure to determine the athletic interests and abilities of women students and women athletes  before it eliminated the women’s ice-hockey program.” Their lawyer just won a $3.74 million  award for the former UMD women’s hockey coach..

Time to just play sports!!!!

• UNDBIZ featured and unfeatured this topic