SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

As someone posted earlier.................UND can expect the same number of casual fans to attend MBB games at the Betty from here on out as Captain Hook has fingers after watching the last 2 games UND has played on TV vs Minnesota and NDSU.   Those 2 games don't set up well for "walk up" ticket sales from here on out........especially if winter really sets in.

Tough to justify it when you have "UND" fans who would probably prefer to just fold the basketball team and divert the money to the hockey program.

Blaming UND hockey fans for the recent poor performance of the football and men's basketball programs has gotten about as old as a certain political party still blaming Bush...

As someone posted earlier.................UND can expect the same number of casual fans to attend MBB games at the Betty from here on out as Captain Hook has fingers after watching the last 2 games UND has played on TV vs Minnesota and NDSU.   Those 2 games don't set up well for "walk up" ticket sales........especially if winter really set in.

I hope all 500 fans at the DSU game give as much effort in their cheering as the UND players did last weekend vs NDSU.  

As someone posted earlier.................UND can expect the same number of casual fans to attend MBB games at the Betty from here on out as Captain Hook has fingers after watching the last 2 games UND has played on TV vs Minnesota and NDSU. Those 2 games don't set up well for "walk up" ticket sales........especially if winter really set in.

If Florida Gulf Coast can reach the Sweet 16 and the New Jersey Institute of effing Technology can roll into Ann Arbor and beat Michigan, I fully expect that a UND basketball coach can at least coax his team into being competitive with the Mayville States and NDSUs of the world...

How much money is UND losing in attendance, concessions, and fan support? Football hasn't recovered from the Muss years that drove our attendance into the ground.

If you add 1,000 season ticket holders, that net revenue would probably cover it.  Can you guarantee that a new coach will be able to do that?

Blaming UND hockey fans for the recent poor performance of the football and men's basketball programs has gotten about as old as a certain political party still blaming Bush...

I'm not blaming them for the poor performance.  But I strongly disagree that there aren't issues caused, part of that being how funding is allocated, because of how a portion of the hockey fan base looks at the rest of the athletic department.  Look to some of the posts made in the football forum as a prime example of that.  Or how some could not have cared less what keeping the nickname would have done to the rest of the athletic department because the hockey team doesn't have to worry about hosting post season games and wasn't worried about finding a conference home.

For the record, I'm a season ticket holder in hockey as well.  And it by no means is it all hockey fans but unfortunately the number is higher than it should be.

• Upvote 1

UND won a NC in football in 2001 the same year UND lost the NC in hockey, basketball went to the regional quarterfinals in 2000 the same year UND won the NC in hockey. Women's basketball won a NC in 1997 the same year UND won a NC in hockey. All our sports can have success in the SAME year!!!!!

If you add 1,000 season ticket holders, that net revenue would probably cover it. Can you guarantee that a new coach will be able to do that?

I'm not blaming them for the poor performance. But I strongly disagree that there aren't issues caused, part of that being how funding is allocated, because of how a portion of the hockey fan base looks at the rest of the athletic department. Look to some of the posts made in the football forum as a prime example of that. Or how some could have cared less what keeping the nickname would have done to the rest of the athletic department because the hockey team doesn't have to worry about hosting post season games and wasn't worried about finding a conference home.

For the record, I'm a season ticket holder in hockey as well. And it by no means is it all hockey fans but unfortunately the number is higher than it should be.

om.gif

Couldn't have cared less...

What would happen to some of these programs if UND hockey was mired in a season like Wisconsin is currently having?

om.gif

Couldn't have cared less...

What would happen to some of these programs if UND hockey was mired in a season like Wisconsin is currently having?

Just for you! :D That one normally bugs me too (not as much you though) and then I go do it.  I even re-read that part before I posted it, thought about it and then managed to post it wrong anyway.  That gif made it worth it though.

And if UND hockey was having a season like Wisconsin currently is, I wouldn't be anywhere near this board.  Probably would have imploded long, long ago.  The athletic budget as a whole would take a hit across the board.  On the positive side, I'd be able to upgrade my seats at the REA quite easily, much like I've had the chance to do at the Alerus.

Just for you! :D That one normally bugs me too (not as much you though) and then I go do it. I even re-read that part before I posted it, thought about it and then managed to post it wrong anyway. That gif made it worth it though.

And if UND hockey was having a season like Wisconsin currently is, I wouldn't be anywhere near this board. Probably would have imploded long, long ago. The athletic budget as a whole would take a hit across the board. On the positive side, I'd be able to upgrade my seats at the REA quite easily, much like I've had the chance to do at the Alerus.

Any opportunity I get to post that gif is a good one...

Even though after football and men's basketball NDSU sports are horrid (major sports only not T&F, or softball), where at UND the only major sports suffering is football and men's basketball. Football actually saw an increase of wins (more than one), for the first time since the 2011 season, men's basketball hasn't had an increase of wins (more than 1 game) since going 19-15 in the 2010-2011 season after winning just 8 the year before.  Last year UND had 1 more win than the year before, so in the past 3 seasons (2011-12 through 2013-14) UND's increase of wins is ZERO!! Jones is consistant on thing.....being .500!!! In that 19-15 season (Jones's best) UND won 4 games against non DI competition, went 0-8 in OOC road games,  (0-9 if you include Air Force in the CIT).  I know this was in the middle of transition but if someone brings up his best season, look at the numbers closely and see how watered down they are. (just like Muss's 2011 season)

The only NDSU program suffering right now is women's basketball, and that's a stretch calling it a major sport.

The only NDSU program suffering right now is women's basketball, and that's a stretch calling it a major sport.

its more major than the usual Bison fan that brings up track or cross country or even baseball/softball. I consider major up here being football, basketball, volleyball and hockey. Sports that average 1000 people or more.

Have the players already given up on Jones?  I have to ask after watching the post game presser linked on this page.... http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=209808020

In the post game presser Jones said "we built this program as a team that does things unselfishly and competes".  

Has he watched his team play the past 9 years or is he completely mind-fuked?    :crazy:

• Upvote 1

Faison is probably gigglying reading this board at the Great Wall biffet.

Seems like everytime I'm there he's there

If he'd actually acknowledge what some posters say perhaps positive things would happen for the basketball team. Trust me, I'm not saying most things on this board are logical and/or rational, but some posters bring innovational ideas to the table that SHOULD be thought up in the AD office daily. UND deserves to have a winning football and basketball program - if that does not happen with the current leadership, new leadership should be found; that simple. I will say nothing will happen until after next season in terms of Jones, and rightfully so. If this season and next season are losing ones, Faison better make the move.

• Upvote 1

I was completely embarrassed to be at the game on Saturday as a UND fan. The team played horrible, Jones did nothing on the bench to get his player going, seemed he had no care in the world walking off the court at halftime being down 43-19, was sitting on the bench the whole game, didn't make any changes or ran plays. I mean he got out coached by a first year coach for NDSU. How embarrassing!

In post game he said the team didn't come out to play and didn't follow the scouting report...well that's on you as coach to get the players to do what you want and need to do to win. It should have been our most competitive game of the year against our biggest rivals and might turn out to be our worst.

He's had 9 years to progress his players and the program but continues to be mediocre and average. His players do not progress in their time here under his leadership. Huff, Webb, Anderson and company were very underachieved last year with the talent they had and didn't progress as they should have IMO. They should have made the tournament even over weber st.

Already this year they have lost 3 games they should have won with the talent on the team. Not sure if it's his coaching philosophy or his lack of motivating his players but he does not get the most out of his players and get them to play a full 40 minutes.

I say give him the rest of the season and If we are not top 4 in the conference he must go!

I was completely embarrassed to be at the game on Saturday as a UND fan. The team played horrible, Jones did nothing on the bench to get his player going, seemed he had no care in the world walking off the court at halftime being down 43-19, was sitting on the bench the whole game, didn't make any changes or ran plays. I mean he got out coached by a first year coach for NDSU. How embarrassing!

In post game he said the team didn't come out to play and didn't follow the scouting report...well that's on you as coach to get the players to do what you want and need to do to win. It should have been our most competitive game of the year against our biggest rivals and might turn out to be our worst.

He's had 9 years to progress his players and the program but continues to be mediocre and average. His players do not progress in their time here under his leadership. Huff, Webb, Anderson and company were very underachieved last year with the talent they had and didn't progress as they should have IMO. They should have made the tournament even over weber st.

Already this year they have lost 3 games they should have won with the talent on the team. Not sure if it's his coaching philosophy or his lack of motivating his players but he does not get the most out of his players and get them to play a full 40 minutes.

I say give him the rest of the season and If we are not top 4 in the conference he must go!

Just a thought...what if UND loses to Dickinson St? Fire him after the game, after the season or see what happens next season? I am not hoping by any means UND loses but UMC lost to NDSU by 1, we lost by almost 30.

Just a thought...what if UND loses to Dickinson St? Fire him after the game, after the season or see what happens next season? I am not hoping by any means UND loses but UMC lost to NDSU by 1, we lost by almost 30.

I remember when a Rich Glas led team lost to Mary by 40 points back in 2004.  It looks like we are back to that level of mediocrity and apathy with the MBB program.

If we lose to DSU you have to fire him! There is no excuse in losing to any NAIA school EVER!!! I believe Shay and the rest have enough in them to interim the rest of the season and possibly that would be motivation to get the players going as well.