SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Move basketball to the Hyslop and just have volleyball at the Betty?

The Betty is perfect for VB.  Except it can use video boards too. 

Women's soccer has their offices there too.  Maybe the women's hockey coaches need new offices.  Or start synchronized skating as a competitive sport like Maimi has done.

Celebrity Net Worth website has Phil Jackson at 45 million. Current estate tax law would put him at about 20 million in estate taxes. Given his age and coupled with his current salary, he most likely is looking at gifting. Should be anyway.

Must be some online Zen college he can leave an endowment to or maybe give to the SR school system for more maps...students need maps!! At least Ms. Upton thinks so...

It's always fun to spend other people's money. I do agree that the REA needs to hear from the fans about dissatisfaction with the fan experience - but have t to wonder if they really care about anything other than hockey over there. 

Celebrity Net Worth website has Phil Jackson at 45 million. Current estate tax law would put him at about 20 million in estate taxes. Given his age and coupled with his current salary, he most likely is looking at gifting. Should be anyway.

Now that we gotten rid of "Fighting Sioux", he may be more inclined to do something of consequence for UND.

That's the problem

They dc about baskstball

I tell them it makes school look bad

They go to who 1500 people?

So, are you saying that roughnecks don't really have the same pull with the %GOBC that they used to. Funny, I never would have thought you would have to be an actual "player" to be in a "players club" such as the %GOBC. :crazy:

If they (the %GOBC) actually do "run GF and UND", they most certainly would care about "baskstball", because like it or not, basketball has the POTENTIAL for more mainstream national pub than hockey could give the school. Is it not about publicity and money and power?

Or are you saying that this "club" you may or may not be in is full of people that aren't really that smart? Inferences could be made considering the supposed membership roster and who they've allowed to partake.

And I'll ask this again... what business do you "run" in GF? I want to know so that I can make calculated and informed spending choices when I come to the big city.

It's always fun to spend other people's money. I do agree that the REA needs to hear from the fans about dissatisfaction with the fan experience - but have t to wonder if they really care about anything other than hockey over there. 

Is this a subtle message for us to shut up?  Well, I don't plan on taking that advice.  All of us on siouxsports.com give to this university and this athletic department in varying ways (season tickets, Champion's Club donations, etc.).  So I think we have the right to say what want about whatever is happening with UND sports.

Any questions?

Is this a subtle message for us to shut up?  Well, I don't plan on taking that advice.  All of us on siouxsports.com give to this university and this athletic department in varying ways (season tickets, Champion's Club donations, etc.).  So I think we have the right to say what want about whatever is happening with UND sports.

Any questions?

If you think that all the people on this message board give to UND and the athletic department, you are kidding yourself.  And there's a difference between giving input and commenting on how things should go vs. demanding that UND and/or the REA put huge investments into improvements when the money clearly isn't there or being allocated.  Unless you have some untapped source to pay for these grand improvements (some of which I fully agree need to be done), then quit being offended when people make comments about spending other people's money, because that is where these big projects are going to come from.

Any questions?

• Upvote 3

If you think that all the people on this message board give to UND and the athletic department, you are kidding yourself.  And there's a difference between giving input and commenting on how things should go vs. demanding that UND and/or the REA put huge investments into improvements when the money clearly isn't there or being allocated.  Unless you have some untapped source to pay for these grand improvements (some of which I fully agree need to be done), then quit being offended when people make comments about spending other people's money, because that is where these big projects are going to come from.

Any questions?

Ralph Engelstad built REA (and the BESC) to benefit UND athletics and UND as a whole.  He didn't build it so that it would benefit a small group of executives.  And I do believe that most (if not all) of our fans that post on here contribute to our athletic programs and our academic programs.  I know I have contributed to both.  So yes, I can and will say what I think our programs need to be competitive at the D-I level, which is a whole different ballgame than D-II.

Also, I didn't "demand" REA make any investments.  What I objected to was CM's assertion that we shouldn't talk about what our programs need because it involves "other people's money".  Well, some of that money came out of our pockets in ticket revenue, concession revenue, ect.  So those "other people" are (in part) everyone that goes to games in REA and BESC.  That whole complex is one big sea of red ink without the fans buying tickets and concession food once they are in the door.  And that needs to be pointed out sometimes, especially to those that have some sort of reverence to REA and REA, Inc.

Also, it is worth noting that REA didn't have problems coming up with money to upgrade the video boards in the main arena a couple of years ago.  Or replace all the old TV sets in the concourses with flat screens.  So there are obviously revenue streams available for upgrades and necessary maintenance.  And I for one will not be shy about saying what I think we need to be competitive in the Big Sky and as a mid-major D-I program.  I know we haven't been D-I all that long, but we are losing ground to NDSU several important areas and I am sick of hearing all their crowing.  And I do think it has a negative impact in recruiting, sponsorships, fan support and so on.

If all these things are "grand improvements" that we cannot afford, then maybe the move up to D-I wasn't as well planned as it should have been.  I am a person that wants to do it right or not do it at all.

Any questions?

• Upvote 1

Ralph Engelstad built REA (and the BESC) to benefit UND athletics and UND as a whole.  He didn't build it so that it would benefit a small group of executives.  And I do believe that most (if not all) of our fans that post on here contribute to our athletic programs and our academic programs.  I know I have contributed to both.  So yes, I can and will say what I think our programs need to be competitive at the D-I level, which is a whole different ballgame than D-II.

Also, I didn't "demand" REA make any investments.  What I objected to was CM's assertion that we shouldn't talk about what our programs need because it involves "other people's money".  Well, some of that money came out of our pockets in ticket revenue, concession revenue, ect.  So those "other people" are (in part) everyone that goes to games in REA and BESC.  That whole complex is one big sea of red ink without the fans buying tickets and concession food once they are in the door.  And that needs to be pointed out sometimes, especially to those that have some sort of reverence to REA and REA, Inc.

Also, it is worth noting that REA didn't have problems coming up with money to upgrade the video boards in the main arena a couple of years ago.  Or replace all the old TV sets in the concourses with flat screens.  So there are obviously revenue streams available for upgrades and necessary maintenance.  And I for one will not be shy about saying what I think we need to be competitive in the Big Sky and as a mid-major D-I program.  I know we haven't been D-I all that long, but we are losing ground to NDSU several important areas and I am sick of hearing all their crowing.  And I do think it has a negative impact in recruiting, sponsorships, fan support and so on.

If all these things are "grand improvements" that we cannot afford, then maybe the move up to D-I wasn't as well planned as it should have been.  I am a person that wants to do it right or not do it at all.

Any questions?

Yes.  Have you actually sent any e-mails or called someone at the REA or athletic department to voice your concerns or just put them out on a message board?  Because I can tell which one of those two might actually have some impact on seeing some progress on the things you want to see.

As for the rest of your post...

What small group of executives is the REA benefitting that you are referring to?  And feel free to believe that everyone here contributes (and I'm not talking buying tickets to a few games which done as a personal benefit, I'm talking actually donating money to the Champions Club or other parts of UND), I don't think the number is as high as you think.  I didn't question whether you do or not, I fully believe you do.  And I'm not questioning the loyalty of those who don't donate either, I'm just pointing out that CMSioux is spot on when talking about spending other people's money.

My assumption is CM's assertion was that fans are demanding thousands and thousands of dollars of improvements but the programs that would benefit currently are not providing a level of revenue anywhere near what is required to fund these improvements.  So yes, it will be "other people's" money.  And don't kid yourself if you think that tickets and concessions from the BESC would be enough to cover the extra needed.  And while that is true, I do agree that they need to look into making some upgrades into the BESC or at least explain what their future plan is.

Comparing what goes on in the REA and in the BESC is not an apples to apples comparison.  The BESC itself is currently being paid for from extra revenue from the REA.  I wish they'd divert more money to the BESC, but at this point, that is not a decision that UND has the final say in.  Again, e-mail someone in the athletic department to lobby harder or someone at the REA to voice your concerns.  Saying you want this or demanding you want that sure makes for a good read on a message board but in reality, it isn't going to do any good.

Any questions?

Wow - a little sensitive. It was just a general comment and I would bet that less than 20% of posters on this site are members of the Champions Club - no way to prove it just my guess.

How about the fans that won't attend a game until he's gone? He's Mussman 2.0.

There are fans who aren't attending games because Jones is the coach?  I find it hard to believe that if it is the case, the number is anything that would make an actual dent in attendance.

I'd understand there are people who don't attend the non-conference games because the home ones have been pretty poor in quality overall, but if they are using Jones as an excuse for not attending the home conference games, they are missing out.  UND has a 14-6 record at home in conference play the two years they've been in the Big Sky, including going 8-2 last year.