SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. SCSU - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

27 minutes ago, NDinCO said:

There. Lady Gaga was a good girl. You feeling better now???

I thought this was 'north-dakota-vs-scsu-saturday-gameday' post. 

CAN WE PLEASE LEAVE THE POLITICAL BS OFF THIS SITE.PLEASE????

Agree!  No political bs put out there by Lady Gaga (I'd say that too if it had been Ted Nugent on state at SB halftime show).  Und sports pleeeeze...

1 hour ago, NDinCO said:

There. Lady Gaga was a good girl. You feeling better now???

I thought this was 'north-dakota-vs-scsu-saturday-gameday' post. 

CAN WE PLEASE LEAVE THE POLITICAL BS OFF THIS SITE.PLEASE????

So to clean it up you bring it up again? Nice logic!

Credit where credit is due:

Brock Boeser late in the third actually chased down, from end to end in the rink, and broke up a SCSU centering pass that probably would've otherwise been a GWG. 

Actually, Boeser's skating looked about as good as it has all season. (I believe there's more than a wrist with him this year.) 

My observations:

Ausmus is playing slow and is weak on the puck. His passes are not crisp. Even his chips up the boards are not getting to their destinations. I smell senioritis. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but three freshmen and two sophomores and a junior on defense is a better option right now until Gage decides to play. 

Cole Smith did not look out of place out there when Boeser was out. Actually, I think Smith's energy level rubbed off on Boeser and that is a good thing.

Smith has the things a bottom six forward needs to bring: speed, size, and a bit of a snarl.  

Mentioning energy level, Smith and Gornall bring an energy that is sorely lacking. And frankly, I'd say Wilkie is showing that energy also. Yeah, that group is not going to be confused for "The Circus" any time, but when you skate hard and fast and move your feet good things do come your way sooner or later. And, you set the tone. 

I think they're expecting too much out of Hoff right now. Put him in a position where he can play a simpler game. 

There are 14 forwards on the roster. That means two sit per game. Right now, I'd have to say one needs to be Simonson. All he's effective at right now is PK. With a team lacking in firepower you can't have a PK-only guy dressed. After this weekend I'd say the next guy to sit would be Olson. 

If we can get everyone healthy, it might be time to put Jost, Boeser, Gersich back together to find some scoring. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My observations:

Ausmus is playing slow and is weak on the puck. His passes are not crisp. Even his chips up the boards are not getting to their destinations. I smell senioritis. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but three freshmen and two sophomores and a junior on defense is a better option right now until Gage decides to play. 

Cole Smith did not look out of place out there when Boeser was out. Actually, I think Smith's energy level rubbed off on Boeser and that is a good thing.

Smith has the things a bottom six forward needs to bring: speed, size, and a bit of a snarl.  

Mentioning energy level, Smith and Gornall bring an energy that is sorely lacking. And frankly, I'd say Wilkie is showing that energy also. Yeah, that group is not going to be confused for "The Circus" any time, but when you skate hard and fast and move your feet good things do come your way sooner or later. And, you set the tone. 

I think they're expecting too much out of Hoff right now. Put him in a position where he can play a simpler game. 

There are 14 forwards on the roster. That means two sit per game. Right now, I'd have to say one needs to be Simonson. All he's effective at right now is PK. With a team lacking in firepower you can't have a PK-only guy dressed. After this weekend I'd say the next guy to sit would be Olson. 

If we can get everyone healthy, it might be time to put Jost, Boeser, Gersich back together to find some scoring. 

Good observations, Sic, as usual. 

I think Bowen always gives the team energy too.  He's fast and he works very hard.  When you don't see the game in person, it's hard to tell if the players are covering their assignments, but I like what I see on the screen. 

Before UND scored that 1st goal on Saturday, we actually saw a flurry of scoring chances. That is the time of consistent drive to the net that we have been missing. If the team is struggling, just get the puck to the net and look for the rebounds. Pretty entertaining game, after what has been a few weeks of pretty boring hockey. Really hoping this sparks something for the boys heading to Kalamazoo. A split would be big, a sweep would be huge in terms of the pairwise.

Though Cam played well overall, but that first goal was pretty atrocious. Still has room to play better and needs to own that crease. We have all see what can happen when a goalie gets hot, so I'm hoping Cam is getting ready to hit a late season stride.

Gornall and Smith should be be regulars in the lineup until their play dictates that they be benched. Those two out work half the team. Would rather see them than Wilkie, Simo or Olson. 

I can't say I'm overly confident on this team based on their play, but I am very hopeful based on their potential. Hope to see it all start clicking in time.

18 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Experiment....

Gersich Jost and Wilkie

Yon Bowen and Boeser

Gornall Gardner and Pogo

JJ Hoff Smith

Last chance for Wilkie.  Put Boeser with some energy guys. See if Gardner and Pogo can score with the pressure off of them

I LOVE that second line. Great idea, Yzer.

21 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I LOVE that second line. Great idea, Yzer.

Agreed. Also expect Yon to make a huge jump in production next season. Kid has shown so much potential, just needs to finish and hit the point sheet more.

A lot of young talent. Would love to see Jost stick around, but we'll have to wait and see. Obviously the kid passed up major juniors because he wanted to do the college route, hopefully he is committed to developing at least one more year here. I know we all expected Brock to leave after 2 years, but I'm sure Brock had higher expectations for his play this season. Granted, he had an injury and a drop off in the talent around him from last season, but I still think if he came back for one more year, he would be ready to make the jump to the NHL.

Bottom line, there isn't a person on this team who is playing like they are ready to make the jump to the AHL or NHL.  (Maybe Brock, but he would probably be playing in the AHL for a year). Makes it interesting to see what happens with Cam now. Looking far more human this season, without the super deep D corps. He is looking like he could play another season. What does that mean for Tomek? Does he stay? Not sure but does Peter Thome come in next season? Looks like Karki is no longer coming either. So what is UND's goalie situation in the next 2-3 years. Personally, I'm hoping for a Cam/Tomek split next season. With Tomek taking the reigns full time the following year.

On 2/5/2017 at 7:26 AM, Oxbow6 said:

If anyone has watched Gornall in any of his 6 games played this season including last night he effort is relentless. He maximizes his potential almost every night he plays. Can't say that about many other guys. He is a perfect fit with Bowen and Yon. 

Take the A from #16 and give it to #13. Leaders lead by example.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

I really like the type of student athletes our athletic programs recruit at UND.  Lots of local kids on our teams.  I am glad we won on Saturday night.  Was getting tired of the negative rants on here about specific players that shouldn't be playing.  We need all the players on this team especially during this recent stint of the injury bug.

43 minutes ago, chicofelipe said:

Take the A from #16 and give it to #13. Leaders lead by example.

35 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

621390.png

Oh jeebus, just stop. 

Boeser was phenomenal on Saturday and has played most of the year with an injury that required FRICKIN' SURGERY. You're sitting here criticizing him for not being a leader? You go have surgery and come back and lead your work team and see how things go. Cripes.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Oh jeebus, just stop. 

Boeser was phenomenal on Saturday and has played most of the year with an injury that required FRICKIN' SURGERY. You're sitting here criticizing him for not being a leader? You go have surgery and come back and lead your work team and see how things go. Cripes.

Thought Boeser's best game since returning from surgery was Saturday night.......................and he played out of position. IMO he was really good.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Anybody else bothered by Rhett's foolish play?

Can't help but wonder where it is coming from. After last season, I was hoping to see more of the play making and scoring, rather than the careless penalty type stuff.

I don't mind taking some tough guy penalties, but draw the other guy into taking one too.

31 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Oh jeebus, just stop. 

That's why I love Sioux Sports....there is just so many "good" ideas.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Thought Boeser's best game since returning from surgery was Saturday night.......................and he played out of position. IMO he was really good.

He was excellent. If he plays like that and we get Jost back 100%, this team is going to be just fine.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

That's why I love Sioux Sports....there is just so many "good" ideas.

After a tornado or serious hail storm, there are roofers' trucks at every cafe and gas station.  After a team struggles, there are hockey experts everywhere.   It's amazing how many of us should be making a living coaching college hockey instead of wasting our time doing what we do.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He was excellent. If he plays like that and we get Jost back 100%, this team is going to be just fine.

Agreed. If this team can just maintain their positioning in the standings. Then get the right pieces back at the right time, we will be okay. Would love to see Cam hit his stride heading into the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, burd said:

After a tornado or serious hail storm, there are roofers' trucks at every cafe and gas station.  After a team struggles, there are hockey experts everywhere.   It's amazing how many of us should be making a living coaching college hockey instead of wasting our time doing what we do.

haha, so true! Can't say I've never been guilty of it. Its frustrating when you see your team struggle. It even more frustrating after watching the team be unbelievably dominant the year before. We were some lucky fans last season.