SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Bemidji State - FRIDAY GAMEDAY ********

AZSIOUX

My two cents:

Our defense needs to make better improvements week to week. Our backend is our weakness. 

Peski - did have a lot of turnovers. The college transition is eating him alive right now. Mistakes will happen. Stay positive. Get better. 

C. Poolman - He's been solid. Very impressed by him. Biggest surprise so far. 

C. Johnson - You can see the nerves. Is getting better. Bottom line, like Peski, stay positive. Get better weekly. Set small goals. 

Gage - Great leader and captain. You look lost this year. Need to find your game without your partner Stetcher. 

Bowen - ? If our D corps struggles does he go to D and start getting reps in at practice? Played D last year. It "could" happen.

Shaw - Pretty solid, good effort,  some mistakes.  Like his game.

Wolanain - Get healthy. Not himself so far this year. Made a ton of mistakes when in the lineup.

Tucker - He's been rock solid.

Collectlively, this D corps NEEDS to get better week to week. They have to set that goal and have that mindset.

13 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

My two cents:

Our defense needs to make better improvements week to week. Our backend is our weakness. 

Peski - did have a lot of turnovers. The college transition is eating him alive right now. Mistakes will happen. Stay positive. Get better. 

C. Johnson - You can see the nerves. Is getting better. Bottom line, like Peski, stay positive. Get better weekly. Set small goals. 

Gage - Great leader and captain. You look lost this year. Need to find your game without your partner Stetcher. 

Bowen - ? If our D corps struggles does he go to D and start getting reps in at practice? Played D last year. It "could" happen.

Wolanain - Get healthy. Not himself so far this year. Made a ton of mistakes when in the lineup.

Collectlively, this D corps NEEDS to get better week to week. They have to set that goal and have that mindset.

You're correct the D needs to improve.  I'm chalking this up to a below average game, those happen.  We're lucky we have a few guys that can take over.  I thought all three frosh dmen had their poor moments, 4 and 6 had some pretty terrible pinches.  4 specifally made some costly errors.  But that is going to happen and get corrected with PT.  All our frosh D are solid and none should sit for Bowen going back to D.  Everyone has bad games, I thought tucker played poorly last night (for him anyways).  He was out of position a ton and had some really bad pinches.  But he's dynamic, so he has that freedom I guess.  Coaches will see that in the video room and correct.  It's early in the season and mistakes will be made. Especially the young guys.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

You're correct the D needs to improve.  I'm chalking this up to a below average game, those happen.  We're lucky we have a few guys that can take over.  I thought all three frosh dmen had their poor moments, 4 and 6 had some pretty terrible pinches.  4 specifally made some costly errors.  But that is going to happen and get corrected with PT.  All our frosh D are solid and none should sit for Bowen going back to D.  Everyone has bad games, I thought tucker played poorly last night (for him anyways).  He was out of position a ton and had some really bad pinches.  But he's dynamic, so he has that freedom I guess.  Coaches will see that in the video room and correct.  It's early in the season and mistakes will be made. Especially the young guys.

Concur. As a whole, the D-corps just needs to get better week to week. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

My two cents:

All of this is exactly what I'm seeing so I won't waste time writing a post, thanks! 

We had the best defensive corps in the country last year.  Three left early to go pro, Ladue and Stecher had great NHL camps and will most likely get some time with the Kings and Canucks this year.  Lots of potential in this year's group, will be fun to watch them improve.

• Upvote 1

I truly expected UND to lose this game.  They were not really challenged the first three games and got away without hustling, sloppy puck control, and not winning battles along the boards.  The first period was a real wakeup call for this team.  The surprise to me in all of this was UND managed to step up their game in the last two periods, rather than maybe catching up with tonight's game.  A key was the forced change on Bemidji.  Early in the game they were packing three and sometimes four players in front of their goalie, prohibiting UND passes and shots from getting to the slot.  Credit the coaching staff with calling time out and getting things squared away.  After that time out, UND started skating, winning battles along the boards, and thus forcing Bemidji to vacate the slot area a bit in order to try to get the puck.  Bemidji had 9 shots in the first period, and then 9 for the rest of the game.

I think we owe BSU a huge thank you for showing this team what they have to do to win, especially as they head into the meat of the season (maybe other than the Gophers after last night).  I am hopeful and expectant that the team will come out tonight and play like they need to play.  Yes, there are obvious things that need to be fixed and now those can be worked on.  This is a team dominated by freshmen and sophomores.  If they can get up to speed without losing 10 games by Christmas that helps at the end of the season.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Exactly, most people know there is going to be a learning curve adjusting to the college level.  Mistakes are going to happen.  People should go back to the threads where LaDue and Poolman were first starting out.  Some of the same comments about them looking out of place, and keep in mind they were a lot older coming in than some of our freshmen this year.

• Upvote 2

Doubt we see Peski tonight. Just watched the replay of the penalty shot. Fairly weak call on the penalty but I can see the justification, it was enough of a slash to throw off Boeser's original shot, which just barely missed anyhow. 

1 hour ago, Feff said:

Doubt we see Peski tonight. Just watched the replay of the penalty shot. Fairly weak call on the penalty but I can see the justification, it was enough of a slash to throw off Boeser's original shot, which just barely missed anyhow. 

Unless Wolanin is healed, I think we'll see Peski. In fact, I would like to see how he responds.