SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

I will say this about the team this year. Obviously, not what we are used to seeing with UND, but that could make the NCAA tourney much more interesting, IF (and that is a very big if) they actually make it.

Every year, up until last year, I've though we had a legit chance to make a run and win it all and been left disappointed. Definitely don't get that feeling with this team, and with how they have been playing. At this point, getting in is the biggest goal and winning even 1 game would be a big accomplishment. If we are playing in the NCAA tourney, it won't be as heartbreaking to lose as in years past. It will still stink, but the expectations for this team just cannot be the same as they have been in so many other years. This team has talent, but seems to lack so much identity and leadership. Really really hope they can muster up enough wins to get in, but at this point its hard to find confidence in that happening. Though, if the team can find a way in, who knows what happens. That's the great thing about the NCAA tourney. Anyone can hit a hot streak and win it all.

After the year is over, 3 people to watch will be Tucker Poolman, Brock Boeser and Tyson Jost. All will have the opportunity to leave. Tucker will likely be gone. Boeser will probably sign. Jost could go either way. Based on this season, I really don't think there is a single person on this team who should go pro. I don't think anyone has consistently played at a level that would warrant leaving early. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out for sure, but a lot of guys would do well with some more development. Hopefully someone can step up during the off-season and really take a leadership role on this team.

28 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You like our chances better at the Target Center against the 2 best teams in the country?

No.  I was just saying home ice in the first round may not be a good thing because the team has struggled at the Ralph lately.  I suppose a sweep this weekend gets them home ice and is also necessary for a tourney bid (without winning the Frozen Faceoff), but I was just speaking generally.

27 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I will say this about the team this year. Obviously, not what we are used to seeing with UND, but that could make the NCAA tourney much more interesting, IF (and that is a very big if) they actually make it.

Every year, up until last year, I've though we had a legit chance to make a run and win it all and been left disappointed. Definitely don't get that feeling with this team, and with how they have been playing. At this point, getting in is the biggest goal and winning even 1 game would be a big accomplishment. If we are playing in the NCAA tourney, it won't be as heartbreaking to lose as in years past. It will still stink, but the expectations for this team just cannot be the same as they have been in so many other years. This team has talent, but seems to lack so much identity and leadership. Really really hope they can muster up enough wins to get in, but at this point its hard to find confidence in that happening. Though, if the team can find a way in, who knows what happens. That's the great thing about the NCAA tourney. Anyone can hit a hot streak and win it all.

After the year is over, 3 people to watch will be Tucker Poolman, Brock Boeser and Tyson Jost. All will have the opportunity to leave. Tucker will likely be gone. Boeser will probably sign. Jost could go either way. Based on this season, I really don't think there is a single person on this team who should go pro. I don't think anyone has consistently played at a level that would warrant leaving early. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out for sure, but a lot of guys would do well with some more development. Hopefully someone can step up during the off-season and really take a leadership role on this team.

Tucker is an NHL player today. Jost, too. Tucker, IMO, is ready to go right now. Jost would play in the NHL tomorrow because he's an Av lol. 

Boeser would be in the A and eventually make the NHL. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Tucker is an NHL player today. Jost, too. Tucker, IMO, is ready to go right now. Jost would play in the NHL tomorrow because he's an Av lol. 

Agree with the tucker comment.  I do think he'll play some AHL at some point but not long.  Jost needs another college year and so does boeser. Forwards that are "NHL players" while in college absolutely dominate.  As I always say, it's not a knock on them whatsoever, college hockey is tough.  But another year would suite both of them well from a development standpoint.  College teams with multiple NHL ready guys dominate.

• Upvote 1

Just now, scpa0305 said:

Agree with the tucker comment.  I do think he'll play some AHL at some point but not long.  Jost needs another college year and so does boeser. Forwards that are "NHL players" while in college absolutely dominate.  As I always say, it's not a knock on them whatsoever, college hockey is tough.  But another year would suite both of them well.

Don't disagree with anything you said. As for Jost, he'd go to the NHL simply for a lack of talent on Colorado. However, I do think he's ready. He'd struggle a bit early, but he'd be fine. Boeser would need to take his lumps in the A, IMO. Both could use another year. I think Jost will stay and Boeser will definitely go.

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Probably right, its not like any of them have had a ton of support from their surrounding players. Put them in a lineup with more talent (like Boeser last season) and they probably look much better.

Hoping Jost stays, but the big concern for next season is to get more well rounded production.

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Probably right, its not like any of them have had a ton of support from their surrounding players. Put them in a lineup with more talent (like Boeser last season) and they probably look much better.

Hoping Jost stays, but the big concern for next season is to get more well rounded production.

I'm not ready give up on this year. I still think we have a shot and have the pieces to get there. Jost needs to lead us and the rest need to chip in, IMO.

Call me what you will. I can take it :D

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm not done with this year. I still think we have a shot and have the pieces to get there. Jost needs to lead us and the rest need to chip in, IMO.

Definitely a chance still. I'm really hoping we put together a full weekend in Miami, though I really though they would finally do that against Omaha. We've definitely seen the flashes of just how good this team can be. Just got to get in and you have a chance. I do think they will have to do so with an at large big though. I really don't see us winning the NCHC tourney. I do think if we make it to the NCAA tourney, there is always a chance.

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Definitely a chance still. I'm really hoping we put together a full weekend in Miami, though I really though they would finally do that against Omaha. We've definitely seen the flashes of just how good this team can be. Just got to get in and you have a chance. I do think they will have to do so with an at large big though. I really don't see us winning the NCHC tourney. I do think if we make it to the NCAA tourney, there is always a chance.

Agreed. Thing that frustrates me the most is that with a win on Saturday, we'd be off the bubble. EVERYONE lost. Ugh.

Looking a the clump of 11 - 20 and their games this week:

11 -- ND ... HE Tournament NEXT WEEK. No regular season left.
12 -- Providence ... HE Tournament first round, UMass. UND needs UMass to win these games, big time, obviously.
13 -- Wisco ... @PSU ... PSU is ahead of them in the PWR and this looks like a split weekend, to me.
14 -- Clown ... Home vs. CC ... Go Tigers. CC gets a split, that's huge for us.
15 -- OSU ... Home vs. MSU ... Eff.
16 -- UND ... Must sweep @ Miami
17 -- Omaha ... Home against DU. I see the Pios absolutely rolling them. Just my opinion.
18 -- AF ... Off next. Probably going to win the Atlantic tourney. We'll see.
19 -- VT ... Home vs. Maine in the HE Tourney first round. Go Black Bears. 
20 -- BC ... BC is gonna need to win the HE Tourney.

So, this week... Hope UMass gives us a surprise, hope PSU takes a home sweep, get a split from CC and sweep Miami, we're going to have a shot. If MSU can get one against OSU, that would be sweet.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Agree with the tucker comment.  I do think he'll play some AHL at some point but not long.  Jost needs another college year and so does boeser. Forwards that are "NHL players" while in college absolutely dominate. 

Exactly.  Compare to the Eichel year at BU a few years ago.
Neither Boeser or Jost are there yet, but I'm sure both will get offers to leave and at least one will go.

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Well, no, didn't he say "that was the plan"? Nick's "plan" was to stay, last year. Things change.

That being said, I think he goes, for sure.

Nicks staying was fans speculation?

Berry already said Boeser plans to leave..is that semantics better for you?

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not really. I've heard from many, not fans, that he was staying until Chicago pulled that trade. 

This was my understanding as well. Nick wanted to play at UND vs playing the whole year in the AHL. Trade opened up an opportunity for him. Worked out great for him and Chicago, but wow ... we could have really used him this year.

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

This was my understanding as well. Nick wanted to play at UND vs playing the whole year in the AHL. Trade opened up an opportunity for him. Worked out great for him and Chicago, but wow ... we could have really used him this year.

LOL having the leading scorer in the NCHC on our second line probably would have helped, eh? :)

I'm not saying BB is a bad coach or anything but these players just seem unmotivated. These players are not good enough to rely on a few players talents and it's showing night in and night out. The sad reality is, the ones with the talent (and eligibility) will leave us high and dry. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I'm not saying BB is a bad coach or anything but these players just seem unmotivated. 

Berry and his staff are there to make decisions and put players in positions to succeed. 

Motivation comes from leadership, undistracted, laser-focused, consistent, day-in-day-out, leadership. That leadership has to show by word and deed the want to win for yourself and your teammates.

I'll say again: this looks like a lack of leadership to me. 

How else can you explain Friday's third to Saturday's turd. 

Two-strides and a coast to a puck is not leadership; standing with the puck on your stick and not moving your feet is not leadership; weak-sauce passing off the boards that gets intercepted is not leadership; not getting the puck out of the zone at any cost is not leadership; "look-out!" passes is not leadership; not skating hard to the bench on changes is not leadership. 

• Upvote 1