SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and SCSU: The Race for the Penrose Cup

Dave Berger

33 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I don't see either team with more than one sweep the rest of the way. If one team does manage two sweeps, they win the cup.

I could see SCSU doing very well down the stretch. I wouldn't put it past them to get 2 or 3 sweeps. UND is going to depend on Cam again. Sweeping at Denver will be difficult and beating Duluth 4 times this year will be tough. I think the winner of the conference will be around 56 points or so. To get there UND needs 5 wins and SCSU needs 6. 

My long shot prediction will be Omaha finishes 7th. Since I saw them at the Ralph, I've been saying I think Omaha is bad. I could easily see them only winning 1 game down the stretch with UND, SCSU, and Denver all remaining on their schedule. After last weekend, I could see WMU playing .500 hockey the rest of the way and that could be enough to move them ahead of Omaha.

Also worth noting, I believe if SCSU and UND ends in a tie then SCSU would win the tie breaker due to having the better goal differential in head to head games.

2 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Also worth noting, I believe if SCSU and UND ends in a tie then SCSU would win the tie breaker due to having the better goal differential in head to head games.

The one point lost against CC when they were up by four might come back to haunt them.

• Upvote 1

On February 5, 2016 at 5:04 PM, UND-RedSox fan said:

I could see SCSU doing very well down the stretch. I wouldn't put it past them to get 2 or 3 sweeps. UND is going to depend on Cam again. Sweeping at Denver will be difficult and beating Duluth 4 times this year will be tough. I think the winner of the conference will be around 56 points or so. To get there UND needs 5 wins and SCSU needs 6. 

My long shot prediction will be Omaha finishes 7th. Since I saw them at the Ralph, I've been saying I think Omaha is bad. I could easily see them only winning 1 game down the stretch with UND, SCSU, and Denver all remaining on their schedule. After last weekend, I could see WMU playing .500 hockey the rest of the way and that could be enough to move them ahead of Omaha.

http://www.nchchockey.com/page/show/878714-tie-breakers

If we lose two more games than St. Cloud from here on out, it looks like it would be goal differential with the rest of the league, since we didn't play St. Cloud here.  Assume St. Cloud would have that advantage too, due to how they blew Western out of the water every game.  UND can't let it come to that, as who wants to share the cup with the Huskies.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

http://www.nchchockey.com/page/show/878714-tie-breakers

If we lose two more games than St. Cloud from here on out, it looks like it would be goal differential with the rest of the league, since we didn't play St. Cloud here.  Assume St. Cloud would have that advantage too, due to how they blew Western out of the water every game.  UND can't let it come to that, as who wants to share the cup with the Huskies.

4.   If not determined by (1) or (2) or (3), the seeding for the NCHC Tournament shall be determined by comparison of total goals for and against each team in contests between (among) the other teams tied in the standings in NCHC regular-season play;

I take this to mean that they will compare goals for and against in only games between SCSU and UND if we tie. I think the only criterion that considers whether or not the schedule was balanced, is the first one. So it's either SCSU already has the tiebreaker locked up or else they almost have locked up unless somebody blows them out by 5+ goals or we start blowing out teams.

15 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

4.   If not determined by (1) or (2) or (3), the seeding for the NCHC Tournament shall be determined by comparison of total goals for and against each team in contests between (among) the other teams tied in the standings in NCHC regular-season play;

I take this to mean that they will compare goals for and against in only games between SCSU and UND if we tie. I think the only criterion that considers whether or not the schedule was balanced, is the first one. So it's either SCSU already has the tiebreaker locked up or else they almost have locked up unless somebody blows them out by 5+ goals or we start blowing out teams.

Correct. Scsu has all tie breakers vs und this season.

1 hour ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Yeah, it just didn't use the words regardless of schedule being balanced like it did in 3rd tiebreak.  I read it "other teams" not "other teams tied" initially.  Like I said before, can't let it come down to a tiebreak, but everyone else is fighting for something like home ice or something too!

45 minutes ago, Cratter said:

They would be co-champs. The tie breaker is for tournament seeding, it's affect is minor.

Yes, the seed doesn't matter much because you are probably going to get CC or Western either way and some line change benefits if the two end up playing at Target Center.  However, I don't think anybody on UND wants to have the Penrose Cup reside anywhere but the Ralph, especially not with a school that was so outspoken against the former nickname.

16 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yes, the seed doesn't matter much because you are probably going to get CC or Western either way and some line change benefits if the two end up playing at Target Center.  However, I don't think anybody on UND wants to have the Penrose Cup reside anywhere but the Ralph, especially not with a school that was so outspoken against the former nickname.

Hey good call. Something to hate the clowns for -- the nickname!

22 minutes ago, tnt said:

Even more entertaining was listening to them when they were not included in the NCHC and UND was still named the Sioux.  For the record, I don't hate SCSU - I just don't want to be associated with them.  I think the NCHC should have taken Mankota and dumped SCSU.  Still wish they would.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, FSSD said:

Even more entertaining was listening to them when they were not included in the NCHC and UND was still named the Sioux.  For the record, I don't hate SCSU - I just don't want to be associated with them.  I think the NCHC should have taken Mankota and dumped SCSU.  Still wish they would.

You can thank Gino Gasparini for that one.  Remember all the promises of facility upgrades in St Cloud?  Western Michigan, too, for that matter.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

You can think Gino Gasparini for that one.  Remember all the promises of facility upgrades in St Cloud?  Western Michigan, too, for that matter.  

What??  SCSU just makes !@#$ up - NO that can't be..   

8 hours ago, ClassB said:

Hey good call. Something to hate the clowns for -- the nickname!

They (SCSU administration) was arguably the most outspoken against the Fighting Sioux nickname/logo issue yet had the most complaints/legal issues filed against them.  Can't make it up.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

You can thank Gino Gasparini for that one.  Remember all the promises of facility upgrades in St Cloud?  Western Michigan, too, for that matter.  

NCHC needs to get to 10 teams and offer to Minn State-Mankato and ??? the opportunity to join.