SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky 2015-16

bincitysioux

As the non-conference portion of the schedule winds down, and about a week until the journey on the "Road to Reno" begins, here's a quick look at how the top half of the league has fared so far.

Idaho

• 5-5 against DI opponents
  • 134 RPI Ranking
  • Notable wins against CSU-Bakersfield and Washington St.

Montana St.

• 4-5 against DI opponents
  • 201 RPI Ranking
  • Notable win against Wyoming

Sacramento St.

• 5-3 against DI opponents
  • 206 RPI Rank
  • Notable wins against Arizona St. and UC Davis

Montana

• 2-5 against DI opponents
  • 210 RPI Ranking
  • Notable win against Boise St.

Weber St

• 3-5 against DI opponents
  • 228 RPI Ranking
  • Notable wins against Murray St. and Drake

North Dakota

• 2-5 against DI opponents
  • 258 RPI Ranking
  • Notable wins against Bowling Green and Bradley

And some general tidbits:

• Big Sky is ranked 30th out of 33 leagues in Conference RPI
  • Big Sky is 0-11 against NDSU, SDSU, USD, and Omaha
  • North Dakota currently 3rd in attendance trailing Weber St and Montana
  • Upvote 1

It should be, it is a weak league.  I feel I've seen enough of UND on the year now to think there is plenty of talent on the roster this season.  Just a matter of staying healthy and putting it all together when it counts.  I will say this about Coach Jones, when his teams are playing good basketball it is often near the end of the season and that has been the case going back to the Great West and NCC days at times.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Hooker still in a walking boot as of yesterday. Still surprised he played against Valley City. Not sure if he'll be playing Thursday or not.

They obviously knew he was hurt going into NDSU game.  Hobbled all game and then still played against VCSU.  Head scratcher, I agree.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

They obviously knew he was hurt going into NDSU game.  Hobbled all game and then still played against VCSU.  Head scratcher, I agree.  

From what I saw, it didn't look like it was too bad before the NDSU game but whatever it was, it appeared to get aggravated or worsen early on but he gutted it out. I can't believe he went up and down the floor the whole game dragging one leg. Guessing he'll back sooner than later.

I've got the same thing Hooker has. It can take months to "heal" if not a year. So he'll more than likely be battling it the whole season. I'm sure resting it along with compression socks and and this popular Amazon product (Due North Massage Ball) based in Grand Forks will help. Guessing some games (days) will be worse than others. And he'll probably do his best to "tough it out."

On 12/29/2015 at 11:57 AM, Cratter said:

I've got the same thing Hooker has. It can take months to "heal" if not a year. So he'll more than likely be battling it the whole season. I'm sure resting it along with compression socks and and this popular Amazon product (Due North Massage Ball) based in Grand Forks will help. Guessing some games (days) will be worse than others. And he'll probably do his best to "tough it out."

Yeah, my dad has had this for a year.  VERY slow healing process.  

Hooker was also limping during the Bradley game.  It has been an issue for a while.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Ticket sales for the conference tournament in Reno are not good - downright disappointing - but it's early.

www.standard.net

why reno?? las vegas and or phoenix seemed morel logical

yeah in lv the big sky would be the fifth or sixth tourney there that month but you would think that phoenix would have been better than reno?

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2015 at 0:37 AM, nodak651 said:
7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Ticket sales for the conference tournament in Reno are not good - downright disappointing - but it's early.

www.standard.net

I'm no hoops junkie/guru but if you're a low/mid major conf or not a geographically close proximity conf (e.g. Summit League the bison are in where I believe the tourney in Sioux--can I say that?--Falls draws well) I gotta think if you're not at the home court of the top conf seed then attendance will be lacking woefully if at a non-conf team city.  No different than at many neutral sites for NCAA hockey region tourneys. 

The attendance at Reno over the next few years will be horrid. Changing the post-season tournament format was a very poor decision on the part of the Big Sky Conference.

I always thought it would be great for Grand Forks to host the Big Sky Conference tournament under the old format; unfortunately, Jones' teams could never finish first in the conference. When the women's basketball team hosted the conference tournament, the games were very well attended and the atmosphere was good. 

• Upvote 1

Wow - looking at BSC team stats, it is great to see UND at or near the top of all categories (except offensive rebounds).  We are second in FT % - if that continues, it will sure make winning tight games a lot easier.  

We are on a nice run - hopefully, we can keep it going on the road this week!

11 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Standings up to date through 2/6

Mont 9-2

Weber 8-2

UND 7-4

EWU 7-4

ISU 6-4

Idaho 6-5

UNC 5-6

MSU 5-6

PSU 4-6

SAC 3-7

NAU 2-9

SUU 2-9

Big games left against montana and ewu. I'm excited that we gave them left, it's a long shot to make it all the way to the top but beating them gives us a chance. 

UND can finish second, or even first, if they win out. That's a tall task; however, because the games remaining against top 4 teams are on the road (@ EWU, @ Montana). Unfortunately, as great as UND has been at home in the Betty, they have yet to prove themselves on the road. I'm skeptical that they will get the job done on the road, but they are apparently capable. 

22 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Team needs to follow an old model:

Win at home

split on the road

5-2 the rest of the way would be more than enough for a top 4 seed.  Where that would be?  Idk...

Unfortunately, that old model will almost certainly lead to disappointment in the BSC tournament. They need to string together one road trip sweep and winout at home; that would both allow UND to finish top 2 and prove they can be the best team in the conference on a neutral floor in Reno.