SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Wisconsin

sioux24/7

UND travels to Madison on Tuesday to take on the Badgers, who lost on Friday to Western Illinois but looks like they will put away Siena right now. Should be interesting to see Geno in the lineup. I would say the key players to watch out for on Wisco are PG Bronson Koenig and forward Nigel Hayes. Game is at 7 and can be found on ESPN3. 

UND travels to Madison on Tuesday to take on the Badgers, who lost on Friday to Western Illinois but looks like they will put away Siena right now. Should be interesting to see Geno in the lineup. I would say the key players to watch out for on Wisco are PG Bronson Koenig and forward Nigel Hayes. Game is at 7 and can be found on ESPN3. 

do they have an unknown 7 footer that can hit 3s again?

This should be a good measuring stick where this team is at. UMM didn't really show us much but a major Big 10 team will.

Not sure I can agree with that as UND is flipping to the complete other end of the spectrum (D-III to top 20). Brand new team who is likely still finding its way traveling to one of the top programs in the country, not to mention two players (including one starter) who are expected to play a significant role didn't even dress for the only game UND has played. Wisconsin will be playing its third game against D-1 competition. Not going to overreact one way or another after this game. The upcoming tournament this weekend against some mid-majors will give a much better picture of where this team really is.

Not sure I can agree with that as UND is flipping to the complete other end of the spectrum (D-III to top 20). Brand new team who is likely still finding its way traveling to one of the top programs in the country, not to mention two players (including one starter) who are expected to play a significant role didn't even dress for the only game UND has played. Wisconsin will be playing its third game against D-1 competition. Not going to overreact one way or another after this game. The upcoming tournament this weekend against some mid-majors will give a much better picture of where this team really is.

I would rather this team compares itself to Wisconsin than a DIII team. WIU went out and beat the Badgers, if we can stay competitive things could look up for this team. If we lose and hate to say it looks like they will, it's how they lose where you can measure this team especially if it's bad shots and turnovers killing us. 

this game means little....Western Ill beating wisky is nice but not likely a prelude to them winning  the Summit,  nor is Siena losing by 40 make  them bottom feeder. Wisky got their wake up call vs W Ill.  Wisc has 2 D1 games under their belt , UND none ...This is a pay day game for UND not a barometer for the season... Hope to see signs of a better rebounding team here.

• Upvote 1

It would be nice to get a signature win but beings it is a nonconference game on the road I don't see it happening.

If I counted right, 1-10 in the last two years in nonconference road games, not including neutral sites. Obviously a lot of those games are "money" games as hoops indicated but still it would be nice to win one. UND football did it this year albeit against a bad Wyoming but still counts.

Edited by sioux24/7

It would be nice to get a signature win but beings it is a nonconference game on the road I don't see it happening.

If I counted right, 1-10 in the last two years in nonconference road games, not including neutral sites. Obviously a lot of those games are "money" games as hoops indicated but still it would be nice to win one. UND football did it this year albeit against a bad Wyoming but still counts.

5-0 on the road against Euro teams that beat Georgetown and Marquette.  Granted, G'town and 'Quette have struggled in early season games.  Maybe this team actually has some winning chemistry?

this game means little....

I am sure that is not the attitude that most low-major schools have had that have actually beaten schools from Power 5 conferences.  I think if UND were to someday ever win the Big Sky's autobid, their performance against a Power 5 school in a "money game" could carry a lot of weight when it comes time to seed the teams.

Every game means a lot. 

• Upvote 1

I am sure that is not the attitude that most low-major schools have had that have actually beaten schools from Power 5 conferences.  I think if UND were to someday ever win the Big Sky's autobid, their performance against a Power 5 school in a "money game" could carry a lot of weight when it comes time to seed the teams.

Every game means a lot. 

Not at UND.  At UND, non-conference games are a nuisance that help pay the bills.  UND expects to lose and doesn't care if they do since they are in a 1 bid league and have to win the Big Sky tournament to get in anyway.  

Montana, Weber, SDSU, NDSU, Western Illinois and others choose to waste so much time and energy trying to actually win those non-conference money games....I have no idea why? THEY MEAN NOTHING!!  Idiots!!!

• Upvote 2

Every game means a lot. 

This is a pay day game for UND not a barometer for the season...  A mind is a terrible thing to waste

Not at UND.  At UND, non-conference games are a nuisance that help pay the bills.  UND expects to lose and doesn't care if they do since they are in a 1 bid league and have to win the Big Sky tournament to get in anyway.  

Montana, Weber, SDSU, NDSU, Western Illinois and others choose to waste so much time and energy trying to actually win those non-conference money games....I have no idea why? THEY MEAN NOTHING!!  Idiots!!!

Because you play to win the game? How about pride? How about confidence? How about to actually get a little national attention? If the single reason for scheduling Wisconsin is to get paid, then why even play starters tonight? Heck, why even bring the starters on the trip?

I get they do not expect to win, but as a player, I can't imagine you go into the game without even trying to compete. A win might now mean much as far as getting into the NCAA tourney, but I guarantee it would mean something to the players.

• Upvote 1

Because you play to win the game? How about pride? How about confidence? How about to actually get a little national attention? If the single reason for scheduling Wisconsin is to get paid, then why even play starters tonight? Heck, why even bring the starters on the trip?

I get they do not expect to win, but as a player, I can't imagine you go into the game without even trying to compete. A win might now mean much as far as getting into the NCAA tourney, but I guarantee it would mean something to the players.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention.  "These games mean nothing and are simply a check". 

Don't shoot the messenger.  

I think all of you are talking past each other and actually agree more than you disagree. UND wants to win and will compete as hard as they can to win tonight, but they if lose, this one game does not a season make or break. That is the thought that I am interpreting from Hoops. Just trying to keep perspective instead of arguing on the extreme margins. But, hey, this is a message board and any other way would be no fun, right?

Edited by Teeder11

I think all of you are talking past each other and actually agree more than you disagree. UND wants to win and will compete as hard as they can to win tonight, but they if lose, this one game does not a season make or break. That is the thought that I am interpreting from Hoops. Just trying to keep perspective instead of arguing on the extreme margins. But, hey, this is a message board and any other way would be no fun, right?

Agreed, if we get blown out that will not indicate how we will fare in the BSC but I don't think this is just a "money game".

agree with this. obviously they want to win and obviously they are going to play hard and this will be good for them to show where they need to improve....but it matters 0% to whether they make the tournament or not

True

Agreed, if we get blown out that will not indicate how we will fare in the BSC but I don't think this is just a "money game".

Absolutely, agree.... I don't think anyone thinks that.  There are so many variables in play to make a snap judgement on a single game performance. For instance, two years ago, NDSU lost by 18 to UND and then went on to shock the world by knocking Oklahoma out of the Big Dance.