SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UW - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

I'm in Indy for the Colts/Broncos game tomorrow. Can someone let me know how UND played tonight? Good, poor, average?

Looked like way better than last night! Last night seemed to give the team a kick in the pants that they probably needed. For me, anyway, there were waaay less palm to face moments like, "Shouldve connected with that pass," or "Should've out skated that guy," maybe "No way that goal should've happened"

I'm in Indy for the Colts/Broncos game tomorrow. Can someone let me know how UND played tonight? Good, poor, average?

Good enough is about all I would say, lots of shots is nice to see but many didn't create much of a threat. If we played the way we did tonight vs Miami next Fri I feel like we would have lost. Just my opinion. Great to see a W tho, however we have a lot to work on. Dont feel this team should have been ranked #1 in the country. I would say we are in the 6-10 range. Good team win

Good enough is about all I would say, lots of shots is nice to see but many didn't create much of a threat. If we played the way we did tonight vs Miami next Fri I feel like we would have lost. Just my opinion. Great to see a W tho, however we have a lot to work on. Dont feel this team should have been ranked #1 in the country. I would say we are in the 6-10 range. Good team win

We didnt give up many scoring chances or shots either, I guess you cant have it all. A win is a win, like I said much room for improvement all around though. Would not have been pretty if we were playing a top 5 team I dont think.

• Upvote 1

We didnt give up many scoring chances or shots either, I guess you cant have it all. A win is a win, like I said much room for improvement all around though. Would not have been pretty if we were playing a top 5 team I dont think.

agreed. The boys need to forget about this series. Hopefully next weekend they play a bit better. But this team is young so let downs should be expected every now and then. I thought the schmaltz pass was a beauty. The tendy gave up some pretty juicy rebounds but did his job, the goal wasn't his fault (it was on Simo). Look forward to next weekend and getting Poolman back. I would like to see Tomek get a game next weekend if healthy and caught up to speed.

Nice bounceback win by the boys - however I can't for the life of me figure out why year after year with all of the talent we have had that we continually have such a pathetic power play - move it around the edge, tee it up, play with it, pass it again, move it around front again, then either lose it or shoot into a crowd.  Same every year.  Other less talented teams seem to come up with a nice quick pass and a goal some of the time.  This is a problem that has prevailed through numerous groups of talent and coaches.  Anyone have an idea what in the wild wild world of sports is going on?  With a decent power play this is a whole different weekend.

• Upvote 2

Why did Cam Johnson suit up as the 3rd goalie Saturday when Tomek did it Friday? Why wouldn't Anderson be moved out and them two both be suited up ready to go?

1 completely off topic but they need to lay off the pipe again.

keeping Anderson as number 2 for the game keeps the same mentality as practice. The guys prepared for Matt and Bob as this week's 1 and 2. Yes everyone must be ready at a moments notice and it's good to see the scholarship guys dressing. But it's not their net yet. 

1 completely off topic but they need to lay off the pipe again.

keeping Anderson as number 2 for the game keeps the same mentality as practice. The guys prepared for Matt and Bob as this week's 1 and 2. Yes everyone must be ready at a moments notice and it's good to see the scholarship guys dressing. But it's not their net yet. 

So this coming weeks practice will be Matt #1 Tomek, Cam competing for #2?

The pressure on Hyrnkiw must be awful! Not only game pressure, but his teammates are waiting like a vulture. May make him outstanding also? 

Nice bounceback win by the boys - however I can't for the life of me figure out why year after year with all of the talent we have had that we continually have such a pathetic power play - move it around the edge, tee it up, play with it, pass it again, move it around front again, then either lose it or shoot into a crowd.  Same every year.  Other less talented teams seem to come up with a nice quick pass and a goal some of the time.  This is a problem that has prevailed through numerous groups of talent and coaches.  Anyone have an idea what in the wild wild world of sports is going on?  With a decent power play this is a whole different weekend.

You know whats frustrating though, sitting in my seat,  seeing right with the shooter and obviously no lane to shoot, and hearing 3000 people screaming "shoot"! Being thankful he didn't because it would have been a turnover of possession. 

As bad as hearing the guy behind me complain about the dump and chase. He yells why don't they at least shoot it at the goalie! I want too,  but don't have the heart to yell in his face that,  they would be giving up possession of the puck then!!

If there's no shooting lane, why would they shoot? 

You know whats frustrating though, sitting in my seat,  seeing right with the shooter and obviously no lane to shoot, and hearing 3000 people screaming "shoot"! Being thankful he didn't because it would have been a turnover of possession. 

As bad as hearing the guy behind me complain about the dump and chase. He yells why don't they at least shoot it at the goalie! I want too,  but don't have the heart to yell in his face that,  they would be giving up possession of the puck then!!

If there's no shooting lane, why would they shoot? 

I agree with you - I'm not saying we should shoot more into traffic, I'm saying that we should be able to get some good shots.  Even 5 on 3 didn't give us any great opportunities.  This endless teeing it up and then passing it around the perimeter until we lose it seems futile.  Other teams are able to work some bang bang plays every once in a while off the power play - we seem to be almost frozen. 

I agree with you - I'm not saying we should shoot more into traffic, I'm saying that we should be able to get some good shots.  Even 5 on 3 didn't give us any great opportunities.  This endless teeing it up and then passing it around the perimeter until we lose it seems futile.  Other teams are able to work some bang bang plays every once in a while off the power play - we seem to be almost frozen. 

Didn't help that we played about 5-10 seconds of the 5 on 3 with only 3 guys and then another 5 seconds with 4? WTF was that?

Edited by petey23

Last night was really fun the crowd was having fun students were really rocking it

Music was loud & great selections & great timing - to me this is important to fan participation 

Edited by Fetch

Something confused me yesterday. From where i sit, me and the guy next to me both noticed Johnson had a clear path to the goalie in the offensive zone. He couldv skated right up the slot and sniped one but instead decided to skate to the boards where the traffic was. Now from where we're sitting Johnson shouldv had no problem seeing this, dont know what he was thinking

SInce you are observing no shooting lanes, could it be that the evolution of penalty kill has progressed ahead of the power play in college hockey?  I noticed wisconson passed away their 6-4 at the end of the game, so could it be something all teams are experiencing and not just the one you are focused on?  One thing I think we see is looking for too much of a highlight play, something that makes sportcenter.  Need more garbage work in front and that won't happen without shots in the general direction.  I cringe when I see a big wind up for a slapshot, it just takes too much time, especially if you are not one timing a pass. Just some thoughts as I drive by a Holiday Inn Express.