SiouxSports.com Forum

Stadium speculation

Cratter

Okay, I'm convinced. Alerus is good, because we will be winning soon. How do we push funds to an HPC phase II fund? do we have to specify where our money can be used?

here's the link to donate directly to HPC.  Put in a call to Mike at champions club if you need more info...

https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1652/02-alumni/index.aspx?sid=1652&gid=2&pgid=794&cid=1761

• Upvote 1

Better, but not perfect. The building still needs some improvements. I do think seats should be at the end of the end zones, not a giant wall. The concourses could really be upgraded too. The building is not bad, but it could be better. It doesn't have a very warm or inviting feeling to it.

I thought I read somewhere that the Alerus and surrounding area(parking lot) is designed to allow expansion atleast to the south? Could this possibly ever lead to seating? 

Edit: here is a article that talks about buying land to the south for expansion although it doesn't say it would be to expand the arena specifically: http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/alerus-center-revenue-growth-prompts-upgrades-possible-expansion

Edited by Wildfan

Better, but not perfect. The building still needs some improvements. I do think seats should be at the end of the end zones, not a giant wall. The concourses could really be upgraded too. The building is not bad, but it could be better. It doesn't have a very warm or inviting feeling to it.

I do love watching games from the cat walk area though. It get a lot more rowdy up there. Great views too.

• Upvote 1

I'm not denying the atmosphere was great back in those day. I was at the games. I was in the band for a few years in the early 2000's, then just as a student for a while. Great noise and great atmosphere. BUT as has been noted in these forums, the Alerus needs to actually make some big improvements.

You really do feel like you are in a pole barn. I'm also not a fan of giant walkways behind the endzone, instead of seats. No natural light. Narrow concourse, with nothing relating to UND football. Its just not an impressive building. The building itself isn't was was great in to 2000s, the people made it great. The people will come back if we win, but I hope, at some point, they can build a nice (most likely enclosed) stadium on campus. And as much as you may like the Alerus, you can't tell me you wouldn't like to see a brand new, state of the art, stadium on campus, if someone was going to donate the money to make it happen.

I'd say the people are what make most any venue great. 

No rush to have endzone seating IMO because we can't fill the seats on the sidelines.

I agree that more UND signage throughout the concourse would be nice.

The Alerus is "state-of-the-art".  I doubt that any on-campus replacement would be much more superior.  I doubt that any on-campus replacement would have a roof, so that would be a huge step backward.

Edited by bincitysioux

I thought I read somewhere that the Alerus and surrounding area(parking lot) is designed to allow expansion atleast to the south? Could this possibly ever lead to seating? 

Edit: here is a article that talks about buying land to the south for expansion although it doesn't say it would be to expand the arena specifically: http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/alerus-center-revenue-growth-prompts-upgrades-possible-expansion

Alerus expansion was the excuse for purchasing the land (they have bought it now). More probable reason is the city wanted to lock it up for a potential library/art museum. 

Is there no UND branding on the main concourses? I know there is some UND pictures and green lighting near the UND locker room that I saw last year when I got a chance to go back in the hallway. Also had Big Sky team logos. 

There is UND branding on the outside of the stadium.  There is an enourmous mural of UND football just as you walk in the main entrance.  The sidelines below the stands are covered with UND stuff for 100 yards on both sides of the field.  There are championship banners galore hanging from the rafters. 

The concourses are very bland and sterile though, absent of anything UND or otherwise for that matter.  Basically after you enter the building until you get to your seats it is pretty bland. 

The city of Grand Forks really does need to be thinking about how to raise funds to upgrade/update the Alerus Center, It's 15 years old now.

Every year that goes by it becomes more outdated. And that's not good for no one. The Alerus whether you like it or not is a show/center piece of Grand Forks, this isn't the Old Civic Center, and the Civic Leaders of Grand Forks need to make sure it stays current. 

They did an excellent job with the upgrade a few years ago to the convention side with all the exterior glass and the new video boards (Where did that money come from?) But not much has changed in the arena side besides a few minor things. 

Edited by Cratter

The city of Grand Forks really does need to be thinking about how to raise funds to upgrade/update the Alerus Center, It's 15 years old now.

Every year that goes by it becomes more outdated. And that's not good for no one. The Alerus whether you like it or not is a show/center piece of Grand Forks, this isn't the Old Civic Center, and the Civic Leaders of Grand Forks need to make sure it stays current. 

They did an excellent job with the upgrade a few years ago to the convention side with all the exterior glass and the new video boards (Where did that money come from?) But not much has changed in the arena side besides a few minor things. 

They have actually spent quite a bit of money throughout the building over the past decade. The money comes from the same sales tax that is paying for the building, it was set up that way. The plan was also to have a reserve built up before that tax ends after 30 years.

Some of the upgrades include changing the front of the convention part of the building, adding the glass on the east side of the arena, changes at the suite level, new carpeting throughout the building, painting the building, new technology throughout the building, they remodeled the offices, new turf, new video boards, and that is just off the top of my head. I think they also did some upgrades or changes to the HVAC systems. Keeping the building updated has been part of the plan for the building and they have done a pretty good job of doing that. Some of these updates have been really public and reported all over the news. Some of them aren't very sexy so they didn't get much coverage.

Alerus expansion was the excuse for purchasing the land (they have bought it now). More probable reason is the city wanted to lock it up for a potential library/art museum. 

I could see art museum because the Art commission(whatever they are called) says they want 42nd to be their art district. Anything Library I hear is about in front of Kmart.

They have actually spent quite a bit of money throughout the building over the past decade. The money comes from the same sales tax that is paying for the building, it was set up that way. The plan was also to have a reserve built up before that tax ends after 30 years.

Some of the upgrades include changing the front of the convention part of the building, adding the glass on the east side of the arena, changes at the suite level, new carpeting throughout the building, painting the building, new technology throughout the building, they remodeled the offices, new turf, new video boards, and that is just off the top of my head. I think they also did some upgrades or changes to the HVAC systems. Keeping the building updated has been part of the plan for the building and they have done a pretty good job of doing that. Some of these updates have been really public and reported all over the news. Some of them aren't very sexy so they didn't get much coverage.

The new Video Boards (along other smaller or convention side things/kitchen upgrades etc) and I'm glad they have the plan and finances to keep it upgraded.

I just think it'd be nice if they did more for the arena side. Like multiple things mentioned here before before: Upgrades to the hallway walls, Put a ceiling to cover the pipes. Put an actual floor down instead of painted concrete, etc.

Maybe those things are next.

The new Video Boards (along other smaller or convention side things/kitchen upgrades etc) and I'm glad they have the plan and finances to keep it upgraded.

I just think it'd be nice if they did more for the arena side. Like multiple things mentioned here before before: Upgrades to the hallway walls, Put a ceiling to cover the pipes. Put an actual floor down instead of painted concrete, etc.

Maybe those things are next.

The ceiling, floor and walls themselves are part of the look they were going for with the arena. It's a multi-use facility and they didn't want it to look fancy. The concrete floors are also easier to maintain and clean, so it helps keep costs down. Even a lot of clubs go with exposed pipes, concrete floors, and more of a spartan look. I don't see them making huge changes to those things any time soon, but I could be wrong. Decorations are a different story. I have no idea if they ever plan to change the decor in that part of the building.

It is always easy to spend someone else's money

Haha, no doubt. Though if I was one of those filthy rich alumni, I would gladly put some of my money forward, like what Ralph did. Pretty cool to be able to impact that many people (fans, students, players, etc).

As this topic has turned into more of a defensive discussion about the Alerus center, I would like to re-direct it. I am NOT saying the Alerus Center is a terrible building. By most school standards its a top notch facility. I'm just saying their are things that I don't like about it as well.

1. Concourses need a major upgrade.

2. I hate that there are no end zone seating. I think it looks really tacky. I would have rather they cut out a few of the back rows and extended the stadium out to have seating room behind the end zones. Just a personal preference.

3. Game day effects. As it has been mentioned the production quality is lacking. The fact that they can't even turn the lights out before the game, and amp up the crowd as the team comes out is poor. If their currently lighting system can't handle that, then it was poor planning to put it in. Look at the difference in the game day effects between hockey and football.

4. Sitting in their feel like you are in a tin can or a pole barn. The big metal walls behind the bleachers are hideous. I know it gets loud in their but its just not the most appealing.

5. Location. I always have though that it would be way cooler to have an on campus stadium. I just do. I get that this isn't the Alerus Center's fault, but I think it would do a lot for the student involvement and the tailgating. It would be nice to have tailgating on campus instead of right next to the interstate.

I will reiterate, I DO NOT think the Alerus is a BAD football stadium. I DO think it needs some upgrades, and if an alumni ever wanted to come to campus and build a Ralph like football stadium, I would gladly accept.

• Upvote 1

Haha, no doubt. Though if I was one of those filthy rich alumni, I would gladly put some of my money forward, like what Ralph did. Pretty cool to be able to impact that many people (fans, students, players, etc).

As this topic has turned into more of a defensive discussion about the Alerus center, I would like to re-direct it. I am NOT saying the Alerus Center is a terrible building. By most school standards its a top notch facility. I'm just saying their are things that I don't like about it as well.

1. Concourses need a major upgrade.  Throw some stain on the concrete floors and put up some UND fatheads and FLAGS.  Make some aesthetic improvements to the "bar" area in the southeast corner.

2. I hate that there are no end zone seating. I think it looks really tacky. I would have rather they cut out a few of the back rows and extended the stadium out to have seating room behind the end zones. Just a personal preference.  I agree, but it's pretty cost prohibitive now.  Let's try to fill up the seats we have now.

3. Game day effects. As it has been mentioned the production quality is lacking. The fact that they can't even turn the lights out before the game, and amp up the crowd as the team comes out is poor. If their currently lighting system can't handle that, then it was poor planning to put it in. Look at the difference in the game day effects between hockey and football.  Turning off the lights didn't seem to be a big problem for 13 years, not sure why they felt the need to change things.  Turn off the lights, pump up the music, and shoot off some fireworks for the team entrance.

4. Sitting in their feel like you are in a tin can or a pole barn. The big metal walls behind the bleachers are hideous. I know it gets loud in their but its just not the most appealing.  PAINT.  Paint the metal.  It'll still be loud in there and it won't look so much like they just threw up a bunch of scrap metal on the walls.

5. Location. I always have though that it would be way cooler to have an on campus stadium. I just do. I get that this isn't the Alerus Center's fault, but I think it would do a lot for the student involvement and the tailgating. It would be nice to have tailgating on campus instead of right next to the interstate.  Obviously the building can't be moved, but there are certainly changes to tailgating that need to be made.  First off it needs to be first come first served and the student tailgate needs to be moved closer to the building (and the other tailgaters).  If it becomes one big party instead of a couple dozen small parties, everyone will have more fun and it won't be so awkward going up to hang out with another group of people that you don't know.

I will reiterate, I DO NOT think the Alerus is a BAD football stadium. I DO think it needs some upgrades, and if an alumni ever wanted to come to campus and build a Ralph like football stadium, I would gladly accept.

Relatively simple, cost-effective fixes added.

• Upvote 4

I think it'd be surprising how much a crap ton of paint and a couple of posters would do to that building. 

BTW, I'm a huge catwalk guy. It's hyper fun and unique.

Agreed, I don't think we are talking incredibly expensive upgrades. Addressing the natural light issues would be nice too, especially on the concourses, though that would be more expensive.

I can also acknowledge that a lot of the improvements needed for a solid game day experience stem from winning. Win and the fans will come, Win and the tailgating will improve.

Look at what NDSU tailgating has become over the past 4 years. It comes from winning, and it really is amazing to see how their game day has exploded. There are so many Buses and RVs and tailgate setups down there. I was there a few weeks ago, and it was a blast (especially because South Dakota won, hahaha) but seriously, you can hate their program and their team, but serious respect to what they have turned that game day experience into.

Shutters for the lights can't be that expensive, can it?  Most modern building do not have to actually shut off the lights to darken the building.  That seems like something the Alerus needs to invest in.  

I generally favor going back to campus.  But in my opinion, unless you build an open-air stadium (or you get the pipe dream of a retractable room), I see little reason to move back to campus.  Building another dome in such a small city seems like a waste of resources.  Maybe once the Alerus has reached the end of its life span, the city and university may want to partnership on an on-campus dome.  

I graduated right before the "Aurora" & REA were being built... I always thought it was terrible that the "Aurora" wasn't put right next to REA.  Could've had a great athletic complex with everything right next to campus.  At the time, all that was there were the intramural fields, a couple tennis courts & the small fire station (mid-late 90's).

It is always easy to spend someone else's money

Enough whining about "other people's money". Guess what Milford, almost everything we do here is funded with "other people's money". Scholarships, season tickets, alumni donations, etc. If you don't like that, you don't have to give. The rest of us will continue promoting the present and future of UND and try to make it an even better place for our children and grandchildren.

Enough whining about "other people's money". Guess what Milford, almost everything we do here is funded with "other people's money". Scholarships, season tickets, alumni donations, etc. If you don't like that, you don't have to give. The rest of us will continue promoting the present and future of UND and try to make it an even better place for our children and grandchildren.

Agreed, but I do believe his point was, just because there is a super rich guy who graduated from UND, he doesn't have to put money towards UND.  That super rich guy gets to choose how to spend his money, and us common folk always say how WE would do things with his money, but it just isn't up to us.  Agreed that us common folk should continue to donate our respectable amounts to help the university we love!

Man, sure would be nice to get a huge Ralph sized donation though wouldn't it....come on super rich guy Peter Nygaard!

Edited by LetsGoSioux!

Agreed, but I do believe his point was, just because there is a super rich guy who graduated from UND, that super rich guy gets to choose how to spend his money, and us common folk always say how WE would do things with his money, but it just isn't up to us.  Agreed that us common folk should continue to donate our respectable amounts to help the university we love!

Man, sure would be nice to get a huge Ralph sized donation though wouldn't it....

WHEN I win the lottery...... I mean it's bound to happen soon, right?

• Upvote 1

Agreed, but I do believe his point was, just because there is a super rich guy who graduated from UND, he doesn't have to put money towards UND.  That super rich guy gets to choose how to spend his money, and us common folk always say how WE would do things with his money, but it just isn't up to us.  Agreed that us common folk should continue to donate our respectable amounts to help the university we love!

Man, sure would be nice to get a huge Ralph sized donation though wouldn't it....come on super rich guy Peter Nygaard!

But nobody here is even causally suggesting that anyone "has to" give money to anything; I don't know where people are getting that notion. Milford was suggesting that it is somehow inappropriate to even speculate about getting an alumni donation to fund an on-campus FB stadium and that is pure nonsense. This is a discussion forum and that is what we do here. If he doesn't like it, he can just leave. It is just that simple.

Sometimes, wealthy alums don't even know about what the urgent needs of a campus are. That is why we have an Alumni Association to to keep everyone connected and informed. If we don't do that, we might as well fold up our tents and go home.