SiouxSports.com Forum

How Bout These Freshmen

geaux_sioux

I think there was so much hype about Boeser, Gersich and even Wilkie coming in that some of the others were a little overshadowed, but like you said they are all finishers. Janatuinen, Wolanin, even Gardner had a nice goal the other night. Overall, very impressive. Hopefully everyone plans on sticking around for a while.

This topic could be in the Football forum as well.  

Though the same thing. My only criticism there, is we pulled the redshirt on 3 freshman RBs. I think Iwarri Smith is too good of an athlete to not get him onto the field more. They need to make him usable at RB and WR. To be able to have him, Santiago and Oliveira on the field at the same time could really make things difficult for a defense. Hopefully they find a way to get him more involved after the bye.

Not only do we have some snipers in this bunch, we have at least one more possession guy in Boeser (in addition to NS).  Time and space will get shorter for them real quick after UW, but these guys can really maintain possession in the O zone. 

So is it fair to say that this freshman class is indicative of the difference Hak was trying to make when he let go of Eades and brought in Berry?   

That is a fair statement. But I have noticed some subtle changes in the style of play under Berry. First of all, we seem to carry the puck across the blue line instead of dump-chase-cycle-cycle-cycle all the time. Second of all, we shoot more on the PP instead of passing it around for 1:58 and then taking a shot and hoping it goes in. There are always some subtle changes when a new head coach takes over a program. And so far, I like what I have seen, soft schedule notwithstanding.

4 of them were top ushl in goals and Boeser/Wilkie tied I believe with 35. I said Boeser would have 20 plus. He will do that and some with that line. Schmaltz could have 10 assists as well he's setting the table. PP moving the puck and more noticeable moving bodies all over to create lanes. These fresh are the real deal from Boeser to wolanin!

4 of them were top ushl in goals and Boeser/Wilkie tied I believe with 35. I said Boeser would have 20 plus. He will do that and some with that line. Schmaltz could have 10 assists as well he's setting the table. PP moving the puck and more noticeable moving bodies all over to create lanes. These fresh are the real deal from Boeser to wolanin!

Yes they are, but sometimes guys that light it up in the USHL don't do as well in college. I am glad that these guys are doing it here.

...and we aren't sure yet about Vermont.  Lost to us and Omaha but beat Minnesota, so the verdict is still out.

Did we not thump Providence twice at home early last season? And we all know what that team did in April. :wink:

Some teams start out hot and then cool off. Other teams start out cold and then heat up. I want us to be a team that maintains an even keel all year. Don't get to high when things are good and don't get too low when things are bad.

tough to know for sure until the schedule heats up a bit, but UND is 4th nationally in shots per game and 9th in shots allowed per game. That's incredible for a team as young as we are, and I dont remember it ever being that good under Hakstol

I don't recall them ever starting the season with this weak a schedule, either.  They have basically been playing cellar-dwellers, and it will continue this weekend.   But you did point that out.

But as they say, any team can win on any given night, and they have been taking care of business.   But we won't really know what we have until we start playing some top teams. 

Edited by burd

I don't recall them ever starting the season with this weak a schedule, either.  They have basically been playing cellar-dwellers, and it will continue this weekend.   But you did point that out.

But as they say, any team can win on any given night, and they have been taking care of business.   But we won't really know what we have until we start playing some top teams. 

I think the 2002-03 team started out with a pretty soft schedule. And they made the NCAA tournament after a one season absence.

Remember when we got pumped by Bemidji just like last year? Yea me neither.

And that was with a veteran team with a scholarshiped goalie.

Did we not thump Providence twice at home early last season? And we all know what that team did in April. :wink:

As I recall we thumped the Fryers (haha I'm funny) in the Friday night game, and tied on Saturday? But yes, they played well in Prahvidence and Bahston in April. Who knows what the VT Cats will do

• Upvote 2

As I recall we thumped the Fryers (haha I'm funny) in the Friday night game, and tied on Saturday? But yes, they played well in Prahvidence and Bahston in April. Who knows what the VT Cats will do

yeah,  and kinda pissed the lead down our legs late Saturday as well.  They had some fairly significant injuries tho, iirc. Goalie maybe ? 

• Upvote 1