SiouxSports.com Forum

Yet Another Nickname Lawsuit: Alberts v. University of North Dakota

Benny Baker

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3862671-breaking-lawsuit-filed-stop-und-nickname-vote

The plaintiffs in the new nickname lawsuit have requested a temporary restraining order to prevent UND from moving forward with next week's nickname vote.  The plaintiffs allege (1) that only the legislature has the authority to adopt a new nickname for a state university; (2) that President Kelley, as a state actor, acted in an arbitrary and capricious manner thereby violating the equal protection rights of North Dakota citizens; (3) that Kelley and the Task Force violated open meeting laws; and (4) that UND breached its "contract" with the Sioux Native Americans.

Let the saga continue . . . ?

Let's go to June 2012, the measure as it appeared on the ballot said:[7]

This referendum measure concerns Senate Bill 2370 as passed by the Legislative Assembly in the November 2011 special session (Session Laws, Chapter 580). Senate Bill 2370 repealed section 15-10-46 of the North Dakota Century Code, which required the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

YES – means you approve Senate Bill 2370, the effect of which would allow the University of North Dakota to discontinue the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

NO – means you reject Senate Bill 2370, and would require the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

So the Legislature passed SB 2370 to require UND to do something other than what it was planning to do. 

Doesn't that indicate that UND had/has the power and authority to change the name because what the Legislature did precluded UND's rightful authority?  

Let's go to June 2012, the measure as it appeared on the ballot said:[7]

So the Legislature passed SB 2370 to require UND to do something other than what it was planning to do. 

Doesn't that indicate that UND had/has the power and authority to change the name because what the Legislature did precluded UND's rightful authority?  

Plaintiffs allege that "the Board of Higher Education ("BHE"), UND, and Defendant Kelley administered the legislatures' directive regarding the December 2011 law."  I assume they mean November.

"in the spring session of 2011, the North Dakota legislature definitive (sic) exercise total control over the name selection process for the nickname of UND.  Despite the repeal of that law, the subsequent law enacted in December of 2011, again demonstrated that the North Dakota legislature definitely exercised total control over the name selection process and prohibited the selection of another name until 2015.  Because the name selection process for UND is reserved to the legislature, the BHE, UND, and Defendant Kelley are without authority to act to change the name."

What'd I learn today?

If you go here: http://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/Search.aspx?ID=200&NodeID=110,1118,1132&NodeDesc=Northeast Central District

Select search by "Case" and put in "18-2015-CV-01843", search, click the link, and I learned it costs just $140 to make my head hurt. 

Edited by The Sicatoka

Another question:

Why the request for a TRO on the vote? What are they afraid of there? If their (dubious in my mind) claim is only the Legislature can do anything isn't the vote moot? 

I agree with your last comment/question, but the TRO request is likely just to prevent UND from doing anything further regarding the nickname.  TROs are pretty easy to obtain but they expire after 28 days.  So even if plaintiffs are successful on the TRO, they'll still need to have the court grant a preliminary injunction within 28 days after the TRO to continue to hold off the vote.

"in the spring session of 2011, the North Dakota legislature definitive (sic) exercise total control over the name selection process for the nickname of UND.  Despite the repeal of that law, the subsequent law enacted in December of 2011, again demonstrated that the North Dakota legislature definitely exercised total control over the name selection process and prohibited the selection of another name until 2015.  Because the name selection process for UND is reserved to the legislature, the BHE, UND, and Defendant Kelley are without authority to act to change the name."

So why all this now?  Where was this lawsuit when the first committee was formed at the beginning of the year?  They say in the article they want North Dakota back on the ballot.  The true motives are known here.  If the North Dakota option was on the ballot would this lawsuit exist?

Edited by Siouxperfan7

(with apologies to Sir Paul)

We're so sorry, plaintiff Alberts,

We're so sorry if we caused you any pain.

But there's no chance in hell you’ll win

And I believe the vote is gonna stay.

We're so sorry but you haven't a clue this day,

But if anything should happen

We'll be sure to give a ring.

But we haven't done a bloody thing wrong, the court will say.

But the vote’s going on

And sanctions will come your way.

Lawyers treading water (water), sad dreams just will not die,

Lawyers treading water (water), sad dreams just will not die.

President Kelley notified me,

We’re gonna have a vote and he thinks you are crazy.

I had another look and I have to agree, you’re a gonna cry.

"couldn't sue for something else

So you filed a steaming cow pie, alright!"

File a lawsuit, waste your money, be so proud (be so proud),

Get your hopes up off the ground,

Yet reality will come around.

File a lawsuit, waste your money, be so proud (be so proud),

Get your hopes up off the ground,

Yet reality will come around.

• Upvote 3

Can you explain for the non-attorneys in the room? 

Broadly defined, Rule 11 tends give courts discretion to award attorney fees and other sanctions against attorneys and/or their clients who make frivolous or baseless claims or make filings solely to harass parties, increase their adversary's expenses or unnecessarily drag out court proceedings.   These are case-by-case findings, but it seems that this filing would fit into the bucket if the State has the balls to pursue the sanction.  

"To me, a nickname doesn't seem that important to me," Longie said. "Do we need a seat at the table? It would be really nice if they included us because we are a significant population, but it's just a nickname and whatever they choose, it's just a nickname."

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/news/north-dakota/3863554-native-american-community-remains-divided-und-nickname

So...it "doesn't seem that important" and "it's just a nickname," but if it's Fighting Sioux, it's an abomination and we are not your mascot.  

Thanks for the clarification, Erich.  :silly:

• Upvote 4