SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky vs. SumValley: 2015-16 Edition

2011BisonAlumni

The Summit always has been and likely will always be there if UND wanted to go that direction (with the MVFC and a home for football being the issue).  The rub is that it doesn't benefit UND to make any sort of move right now on the precipice of what is likely going to be a major shake-up in conference alignments and levels of competition. Fullerton may have ideas beyond what is achievable but at least he has them and is very public about it. Not sure I'd say the same for Douple. I know which one I'd rather be aligned with (and leaving bridge unburned) while leaving the other as a second option.

• Upvote 3

The Summit always has been and likely will always be there if UND wanted to go that direction (with the MVFC and a home for football being the issue).  The rub is that it doesn't benefit UND to make any sort of move right now on the precipice of what is likely going to be a major shake-up in conference alignments and levels of competition. Fullerton may have ideas beyond what is achievable but at least he has them and is very public about it. Not sure I'd say the same for Douple. I know which one I'd rather be aligned with (and leaving bridge unburned) while leaving the other as a second option.

Is that bridge at least a little charred from announcing we were joining the Big Sky on the day the Summit was supposed to visit UND?

Is that bridge at least a little charred from announcing we were joining the Big Sky on the day the Summit was supposed to visit UND?

Obviously somewhat (see: UND's non-invite as an affiliate for Summit baseball despite it being an easy way to save their autobid).  However, if UND pushed for full membership, I don't see them being turned down. The flipside being if UND were to leave the Big Sky, I see a much smaller chance of them being pulled back into the fold depending on how things shake out.

I personally would rather be in the Summit and Missouri Valley - you minus the Montana Schools and the Big Sky offers what?? - We'd have our RIVAL renewed automatically and there we'd have it set - over - done.  And for the last number of years and currently the Missouri Valley FB is tougher than the Big Sky - isn't that we want? - We brag about our TOUGH Hockey conferences all the time - as they are - but for some reason try to minimize the discussion when it comes to FB?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UND doesn't have all their sports in the Big Sky now

Given that the BSC does not sponsor M/W hockey, M/W S&D, or baseball, but UND does have a conference for those, who knew?

Thank you for that information. Now scurry back to your other gig. ;) 

Edited by The Sicatoka

Think small, be small I guess.  

If NDSU were in the Big Sky, how many Summit/MVFC backers would still prefer the Summit/MVFC?  I think I know the answer........

The fact is NDSU isn't in the BSC and they are kicking our ass. What exactly does the BSC and schools other then Montana or Montana State offer that the Summit doesn't? The rest of the BSC is on par with the indana alphabet soup schools. I think we would be better off moving our olympic sports to the Summit and putting the money saved on travel expenses into our programs. We could increase coaching salaries, recruiting budgets, facilities. IMO we are not only losing ground to NDSU but also both SD schools.

• Upvote 1

The fact is NDSU isn't in the BSC and they are kicking our ass. What exactly does the BSC and schools other then Montana or Montana State offer that the Summit doesn't? The rest of the BSC is on par with the indana alphabet soup schools. I think we would be better off moving our olympic sports to the Summit and putting the money saved on travel expenses into our programs. We could increase coaching salaries, recruiting budgets, facilities. IMO we are not only losing ground to NDSU but also both SD schools.

This has nothing to do with the BSC. It is because our transition sucked, Faison has given coaches way too much rope to hang their own programs with and our marketing still lags far behind NDSU. Joining the Slummit/MVFC won't change any of that.

• Upvote 3

I have zero interest in leaving the Sky in football, and really I don't see the Summit as being that great either.   It gives us a different footprint to recruit in for one thing.   The other thing is we have a much better chance of making the playoffs in football in the Sky as opposed to the MVFC.   Besides, I don't see the MVFC offering us an invite any time soon

• Upvote 1

could have had the best of both worlds if it broke the right way.

See, and I think it did break the right way.  Conference games against the likes of Weber, Montana, Montana St., Northern Colorado.  Then non-conference games against some combination of the Dakota schools, UNI, maybe UNO. 

ESPN ranks Weber as one of the Top 50 NCAA basketball programs of all time for cryin' out loud.

Nobody really wants to come out and say it, but the biggest reason that alot of people get behind the idea of being in the SumValley is because they are enfatuated with playing against NDSU as often as possible.  It's the same reason everyone hates Big Ten Hockey, but if the Big Ten considered affiliates, that'd be OK.  That's my opinion anyways.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

See, and I think it did break the right way.  Conference games against the likes of Weber, Montana, Montana St., Northern Colorado.  Then non-conference games against some combination of the Dakota schools, UNI, maybe UNO. 

ESPN ranks Weber as one of the Top 50 NCAA basketball programs of all time for cryin' out loud.

Nobody really wants to come out and say it, but the biggest reason that alot of people get behind the idea of being in the SumValley is because they are enfatuated with playing against NDSU as often as possible.  It's the same reason everyone hates Big Ten Hockey, but if the Big Ten considered affiliates, that'd be OK.  That's my opinion anyways.

Weber is definitely not the reason I want to be in Big Sky. The Montana schools are the main reason I enjoy the Big Sky. Weber is a good basketball program, yes you are right but I honestly don't think the average basketball fans here really care about them. 

Edited by sioux24/7
  • Upvote 1

Why not invite NDSu, SDSu, and USD to the Big Sky?  Fullerton has a plan, but many people here and all of Bisonvile don't believe him.

We'd be idiots if we didn't wait for Idaho's and NMSU's FBS teams being kicked out of the Sun Belt at the end of this year.  Things are rolling more than you know.

SUU, Idaho St, Weber, NAU, and UNC aren't relative to the conversation, just as W Ill, Oral Roberts, IPFW, and IUPUI aren't either.

if Wyoming can be FBS, why can't the research schools across the Northern Tier states be FBS too?

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 2

I think a lot of people liked the BSC tournaments being held at the regular season champion's location (something people laughed at the SL about) but now that's gone, Sioux Falls is closer than Reno for a basketball tournament. You mention WSU, but how about Sac St, ISU, NAU, EWU people still don't know who those teams are. The Dakota 3, with Omaha and Denver are well known in Grand Forks. I wouldn't mind BSC football and the SL basketball/volleyball with potential membership into the MVFC if one of those eastern teams bail. 

Weber is definitely not the reason I want to be in Big Sky. The Montana schools are the main reason I enjoy the Big Sky. Weber is a good basketball program, yes you are right but I honestly don't think the average basketball fans here really care about them. 

^^^^^this!!