SiouxSports.com Forum

Scheduled downtime / maintenance on Sunday night

jimdahl

It's time to upgrade the software that runs the forum.

I was originally planning to roll it out after a potential name change when I thought that might occur this summer, but now that it seems that's not happening, I'd rather get it done before the seasons begin.

So, I'm currently planning to give it a shot Sunday night. It will involve some downtime because people can't be using the forum while I'm backing it up. I figured a Sunday night in August would be least disruptive, and if all goes well the downtime should only be an hour or so.

It's time to upgrade the software that runs the forum.

I was originally planning to roll it out after a potential name change when I thought that might occur this summer, but now that it seems that's not happening, I'd rather get it done before the seasons begin.

So, I'm currently planning to give it a shot Sunday night. It will involve some downtime because people can't be using the forum while I'm backing it up. I figured a Sunday night in August would be least disruptive, and if all goes well the downtime should only be an hour or so.

Maybe at the same time remove the UND/BU score; it's been almost four months now, so the grieving process should be over :sad:.

Maybe at the same time remove the UND/BU score; it's been almost four months now, so the grieving process should be over :sad:.

That always flips over on August 1 because I normally have the full schedules by then. Of course, I don't actually have the full schedules yet this year, so that could cause some things to break...

This is gonna take some getting used to!    :0

That's why I wanted to do it while people were distracted by a new nickname ;) 

Some of the old posts are still a little funky; it's rebuilding them in the background, but that will take hours so I turned the board back on while it's doing that.

Is there a "full version" button? I'm on a tablet. Maybe I'm looking at it?

There's a single look, whether you're on a desktop, phone, or tablet.

In the past, we've started by making a computer version, and then (in recent years) adding a mobile friendly version for phones, so the two were separate. The design philosophy of this is to assume you're on a small screen but then to take best advantage of however much screen you have available.

Hey Jim, is the wiki page gone now?  

EDIT:  Ok, I see that it is still there.  However, once you go to the "Forum" page, how do you get back to the "Home Page" where you can look at wiki, news stories, tweets, etc?

Edited by dmksioux

Will this new format be able to track progress in threads as you read them? That was pretty handy in the previous mobile version. It kind of sucks to have to remember the last post you've read and then go and find it.

Second this. 

Same as it was in the previous version, threads with unread messages will get a lit up dot next to them. The dot jumps you to the last unread post.

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 10.08.33 AM.png

Edited by jimdahl
  • Upvote 1

I do miss being able to see the most recent threads (for each seperate subcategory) on the main forum page and being able to directly click on it thus saving time.

I'm not sure what you mean. My recollection is that on the index page, the line for each forum showed the title of the one thread that had the most recent post, just like it does now. So, you can quick jump to the new posts in that thread with a single click, or click the forum title to see the list of threads from that forum.

A couple other things that you might find helpful...

• In the sidebar, in addition to a list of the most recently started threads (which will appear once the board is done reindexing everything), we were able to add a list of the most recent posts.
  • The new content button at the top brings you to a list of all of the activity on the forum since your last visit. That list can be filtered by forum, or other attributes.
Edited by jimdahl

I'm not sure what you mean. My recollection is that on the index page, the line for each forum showed the title of the one thread that had the most recent post, just like it does now. So, you can quick jump to the new posts in that thread with a single click, or click the forum title to see the list of threads from that forum.

A couple other things that you might find helpful...

• In the sidebar, in addition to a list of the most recently started threads (which will appear once the board is done reindexing everything), we were able to add a list of the most recent posts.
  • The new content button at the top brings you to a list of all of the activity on the forum since your last visit. That list can be filtered by forum, or other attributes.

I just remembered that you said above that you're on a tablet, so your issue is that the most recent post is getting cut for that smaller screen size. I can look into that.

Meanwhile, on mobile I especially recommend trying out the new content star in the top navigation bar.

So is there an easy way to navigate from the forums to the "home" page where the wiki links, tweets, articles are posted?

I should be able to add that next time I'm in front of a computer.

Edited by jimdahl
  • Upvote 1

Are you really going to have just plain guests posting? If so, you're asking for trouble, especially from fans of certain fan bases. Also, you will end up deleting a lot of posters.

no :) I saw that it let you do that, I'll look into it.

• Upvote 1