SiouxSports.com Forum

Scheduled downtime / maintenance on Sunday night

jimdahl

My edits still don't save.

No reply to this post button.

Nothing happens when I click the three bars top right.

All the above on default Google Android browser

Opera browser on Android doesn't even load the softwares tests completely. Along with other issues like not being able to reply.

Sorry to be a pain in the butt.
Maybe it's just my phone.

Fixed. 

I opened the browsers settings and enabled Javascript. 

Edit.  Testing to see if the edit saves now too. 

Edited by Cratter

Great, glad you figured it out. I'm not surprised the forum requires Javascript to be enabled, but am a little surprised it's not able to throw some sort of error when it's not.

Coincidently that's how I figured it out.  My wells Fargo mobile banking website said must  enable java. 

Having some issues with quotes.  If you start to quote and reply to someone, then leave the page (thought better of the reply, got interrupted, whatever) when you return to that thread and try to reply to it, or quote someone else to reply, the first quote is still in the window and can't be fully deleted.  It may not do anything with it, but I haven't taken any chances with where it goes ;)

Since my description may be confusing (IT tells me I confuse them all the time), to recreate:

1. click quote on a post in a thread

2. leave that thread without posting the reply

3. return to thread later (even a day or more) and click on reply box, or quote another post

Result is quote from step 1 is still in reply box and won't appear to be fully deleted.

Sorry, but once again it's taking me to the first post of the thread rather than the last unread post.  Thanks for all your patient help.

It's not your fault, it's a little confusing.

If you're on the main index page of the site (where you see the list of forums) and click on one of the links of the most recently updated topics, that will take you to the most recently read post.

If you're in a forum (where you see a list of topics) and click on one of the topic links, that will take you to the first post in the thread. You instead have to look for the bold/highlighted posts, which are the ones that have new posts since your last visit, and to the left of those will be a bold/highlighted circle or star. Clicking that circle or star takes you to the last one you read.

Having some issues with quotes.  If you start to quote and reply to someone, then leave the page (thought better of the reply, got interrupted, whatever) when you return to that thread and try to reply to it, or quote someone else to reply, the first quote is still in the window and can't be fully deleted.  It may not do anything with it, but I haven't taken any chances with where it goes ;)

Since my description may be confusing (IT tells me I confuse them all the time), to recreate:

1. click quote on a post in a thread

2. leave that thread without posting the reply

3. return to thread later (even a day or more) and click on reply box, or quote another post

Result is quote from step 1 is still in reply box and won't appear to be fully deleted.

Yeah, it intentionally keeps the draft post because it wants to let you build it from multiple pieces (e.g. maybe you're trying to quote two different posts and add some commentary to each).

I don't have a problem deleting everything in the editor by hitting Ctrl-A (to select everything) then hitting delete (or perhaps backspace on a PC) a couple of times. 

If that doesn't work, you could hit the "Source" button in the upper left of the editor toolbar to see the actual code behind the post and delete all of that, then switch back by hitting Source again.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a small thing and maybe it's already been addressed, but on the Message Board under each thread topic in small print it would say, for example, "Last post 10 minutes

ago under Football by UND Fan."  Now the category of the thread, in this case "Football", doesn't show.  Thanks for the great website.

I noticed on the main page that the 'Fans are Saying - Message Board' section no longer has the topic included.  For example, the most recent post is in a thread titled 'Battle of the Popular (Vote)!'.  It lists who last posted and when but no longer says if that thread is in the Nickname topic, Men's Hockey, etc.  Is that something fixable?

Thanks for all your hard work!  We fans are indebted to your website prowess and willingness to run this show.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a small thing and maybe it's already been addressed, but on the Message Board under each thread topic in small print it would say, for example, "Last post 10 minutes

ago under Football by UND Fan."  Now the category of the thread, in this case "Football", doesn't show.  Thanks for the great website.

I noticed on the main page that the 'Fans are Saying - Message Board' section no longer has the topic included.  For example, the most recent post is in a thread titled 'Battle of the Popular (Vote)!'.  It lists who last posted and when but no longer says if that thread is in the Nickname topic, Men's Hockey, etc.  Is that something fixable?

Thanks for all your hard work!  We fans are indebted to your website prowess and willingness to run this show.

My silence on this hasn't been me ignoring these comments, I'm still trying to figure out where the forum titles are stored in this new version. It's pretty crazy that I can't find them. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by jimdahl

My silence on this hasn't been me ignoring these comments, I'm still trying to figure out where the forum titles are stored in this new version. It's pretty crazy that I can't find them. I'll keep you posted.

Jim, I don't know if you saw, but you can't submit news stories anymore to the front page.

siouxsports.PNG

Jim, I am not sure if you saw my post, or your just ignoring it. This is what you get when you try to add a news story. it says that you have to log in.

siouxsports2.PNG

Makes sense, that was also dependent on the forum login, which apparently changed. I'll remove the link for now to avoid confusion, but see if I can add some sort of user submission back into the new news page that's coming soon.

• 5 weeks later...

Makes sense, that was also dependent on the forum login, which apparently changed. I'll remove the link for now to avoid confusion, but see if I can add some sort of user submission back into the new news page that's coming soon.

Jim, are you going to fix this soon?

Jim, are you going to fix this soon?

A different news page is coming soon, but with no good definition of soon. At first it won't have user-submission, but eventually might. 

I think the issue with your stuff is that we were crawling the blogs but not the hockey writers because I (arbitrarily) deemed that one to be news. In the new design, there won't be any attempt to differentiate between blogs and news and the spider/crawler will pull feeds from both; so, I'll just make sure to crawl all of your (and other) relevant news/blogs. So, your need to submit individual articles should actually go away.

Edited by jimdahl

A different news page is coming soon, but with no good definition of soon. At first it won't have user-submission, but eventually might. 

I think the issue with your stuff is that we were crawling the blogs but not the hockey writers because I (arbitrarily) deemed that one to be news. In the new design, there won't be any attempt to differentiate between blogs and news and the spider/crawler will pull feeds from both; so, I'll just make sure to crawl all of your (and other) relevant news/blogs. So, your need to submit individual articles should actually go away.

In non-tech language, what does that mean.

Less work for you to do. Sit Back & Relax. Your articles will be posted automatically.

Right. The site used to automatically find stories from blogs but let users submit individual news articles (two separate pages/feeds). But users weren't submitting much news, and the line between blogs and news was becoming blurry.

So, going forward, blogs and news will be on the same page and the site will try to automatically find both, so there should be no need for users to submit individual articles.

Edited by jimdahl

Right. The site used to automatically find stories from blogs but let users submit individual news articles (two separate pages/feeds). But users weren't submitting much news, and the line between blogs and news was becoming blurry.

So, going forward, blogs and news will be on the same page and the site will try to automatically find both, so there should be no need for users to submit individual articles.

Wait, What?! There's other pages on this site? Call me surprised. :lol:

Edited by Cratter

Wait, What?! There's other pages on this site? Call me surprised. :lol:

I'm always surprised how much people do use non-forum pages on the site. I think I'm fooled because the rest isn't particularly interactive so I feel like that stuff is unused, but people come out in force when I try to cut something, and then I check the stats and realize how much they're read.